Author Topic: evolving Christianity  (Read 568 times)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
evolving Christianity
« on: December 23, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »
In early Christianity leaders used fear aggressively,kept the followers tightly in grips. Women were seen as possessions,and were not to speak. The church leaders held all authority and were not questioned. As fear wained and people started to think the church leaders had to evolve the religious dogma to match the times.

We have seen Churches involve women,we have seen them change what hell is,and we also have seen change in how much easier it is to get into heaven. Churches have become less hard lined and soften their stance on social issues. we have even seen openly gay ministers and gay marriage performed.

If church leaders had not evolved would religions as they are today still exist? We see other religions gaining followers because of their hard-line stance,treatment of women and strict adherence to religious dogma. Muslims as an example are gaining followers,while the softening Christian stance is moving followers to less traditional ways of obtaining enlightenment.

Has the evolving Christianity put an end to organized religion and opened up the more personal relationship followers have with their God? Is the lack of fear no longer holding believers to dogma? It seems in hard line strict dogma of other religions keeps the followers in line and keeps the religion alive and well,while others seem to be dying as they evolve.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:27:46 PM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: evolving Christianity
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 03:41:03 PM »
 I guess what I was trying to say in this mess was,has evolving hurt Christianity? Not evolving has not hurt the Muslim faith. Yes there are moderate Muslims,but they still stick strictly to church doctorines
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:42:44 PM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »
Religions that do not evolve, die.  So I woud say that it is critical for religions to evolve.  And probably even more critical form them to evolve at the same pace as human morality and society.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 04:02:48 PM »
Yeah, Christianity has evolved but mainly because there are so many sects.  If the Catholic Church was still the only branch then I think we might still be very conservative.  Muslims are at that stage...like the Catholic Church was before the reformation.

But then again, it seems like some branches of Christianity are sliding backwards.  Maybe even trying to match Muslims for who has the best faith.  Look at the kooks out of Topeka, Ks., the Catholic Bishops with birth control, evangelicals with everything conservative.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 04:20:28 PM »
Religions that do not evolve, die.  So I woud say that it is critical for religions to evolve.  And probably even more critical form them to evolve at the same pace as human morality and society.
would you say that all religions that are still around have evolved? Those without fear of punishment upon death do not seem to have....at least not at the pace of Christianity

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 06:38:01 PM »
I would bet that there are few groups, if any at all, left under any religion that are observing/practicing in the original way when the religion was invented.  Part of the reason is that the societies around these religions have evolved along with the rest of the world.  Technology, communication, media...all of these things make it damn near impossible to pretend you still live in the earlier centuries.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 01:18:31 AM »
 I don't know Jetson....even with modern science and technology they still rely on faith from 2000 yr old sheep herders. Their intolerance for things now considered OK or normal has just disappeared or as we have seen lately simmering under the surface.

They now tolerate women and others speaking their thoughts and concerns,even though they may not like it. They are more tolerant of other religions and colours of the rainbow...even though under the surface they hide true feelings

Let's hope they don't go out with a bang,but a whimper as they evolve themselves out of existence.

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
  • I could write some personal text here...
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 03:22:41 AM »
Yeah, Christianity has evolved but mainly because there are so many sects.  If the Catholic Church was still the only branch then I think we might still be very conservative.  Muslims are at that stage...like the Catholic Church was before the reformation.

But then again, it seems like some branches of Christianity are sliding backwards.  Maybe even trying to match Muslims for who has the best faith.  Look at the kooks out of Topeka, Ks., the Catholic Bishops with birth control, evangelicals with everything conservative.

I thin you hit it right on the head, like exactly... kudos...
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline carstensenscott

• Graduate
  • Darwins +29/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 04:01:40 AM »
Until the dogma of such can be arranged to reflect that of a punish-less, non-violent, political free, science firm faction, and energize the path of true love and social harmony it will remain on my TOP 1 list of Most Likely to Murder His Neighbor....

1. Religion  100%

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »

I thin you hit it right on the head, like exactly... kudos...
And this is why you have no faith in organizations or the Bible?