Author Topic: Sect of the Almighty Lord  (Read 655 times)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
Sect of the Almighty Lord
« on: December 20, 2012, 02:51:31 AM »
And it seems that China has their own share of religious end-of-the-world nutcases.
Members of the sect of the almighty lord (I've seen figures of between 120 and 'over 1000') have been arrested in China. It would seem like they've concocted their beliefs out of a bit of Christianity, some Mayan calendar bullshit and ... wait for it ... the movie 2012. The Chinese government let them be until recently, when the sect members started spreading pamphlets that, besides the usual 'the world is gonna end!' stuff also said that the Red Dragon will fall. Now THAT's a line you don't cross, in China, and get away with it.
The government has gone into full crackdown mode, including a media campaign.

It'll be interresting to see where China goes from here. Religions are left alone, for the most part, when they're small enough. Which has led to umpteen sect popping up. Because, a 100 member sect doesn't register on Beijing's radar. Will Beijing now 'finetune' their radar? Or will they figure, meh, we cleaned it up fast enough this time, so why worry?

As for the sect, seems to me that's it's another member of the group of Mormonism and Scientology. Random bullshit, agressive recruitment and moneymoneymoney. I seriously doubt any of the leadership buy into it themselves.

But of course, that goes for most religions, "Is the Pope Catholic?", to me, is not a rethorical question.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Sect of the Almighty Lord
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 03:54:53 AM »
good for China now lets go to work.
I don't know mandarin so I will chill out I guess.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 08:14:22 AM »
Isn't that the group that thinks Jesus has already come back but as a woman?  Jesusetta, I think. lol
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 08:30:40 AM »
^^ Same country, different sect
Gotta hand it to the Chinese, when they make shit up, they put some EFFORT into it.
Compare that to Harold Camping's "yeah, so, you have these letters, right and then you put number and the world's gonna end"
MOST ... BORING ... APOCALYPSE ... EVER!!!
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 09:45:44 AM »
Yeah, wonder if any of those people who gave all their sh*t away ever got any of it back.

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
  • Making atheists cry since 1991
    • PURE TRUTH
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
And it seems that China has their own share of religious end-of-the-world nutcases.
Members of the sect of the almighty lord (I've seen figures of between 120 and 'over 1000') have been arrested in China. It would seem like they've concocted their beliefs out of a bit of Christianity, some Mayan calendar bullshit and ... wait for it ... the movie 2012. The Chinese government let them be until recently, when the sect members started spreading pamphlets that, besides the usual 'the world is gonna end!' stuff also said that the Red Dragon will fall. Now THAT's a line you don't cross, in China, and get away with it.
The government has gone into full crackdown mode, including a media campaign.

It'll be interresting to see where China goes from here. Religions are left alone, for the most part, when they're small enough. Which has led to umpteen sect popping up. Because, a 100 member sect doesn't register on Beijing's radar. Will Beijing now 'finetune' their radar? Or will they figure, meh, we cleaned it up fast enough this time, so why worry?

As for the sect, seems to me that's it's another member of the group of Mormonism and Scientology. Random bullshit, agressive recruitment and moneymoneymoney. I seriously doubt any of the leadership buy into it themselves.

But of course, that goes for most religions, "Is the Pope Catholic?", to me, is not a rethorical question.
Nice OP overall. ;)

"Is the pope catholic?" Yes.

"Is the pope a christian?" No.

Presuppositionalism wins everytime

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

Making atheists cry since 1991

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 01:24:30 PM »
Here we go...ok...tell me why the pope is not a Christian.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »
^
I have a feeling it's some sort of "catholics are not christians" thing.

...which is an idea I've never understood myself.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Bagheera

• Graduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 02:45:14 PM »
[insert sect of Christianity] is really a misrepresentation of [insert speaker's sect of Christianity] No one in that group can really be a True ChristianTM

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 08:15:46 PM »
The Muslim population in West China is quite significant. Actually, I believe, to an extent they actually control that part of China. I am surprised they don't do something about them. Plus, Catholics are starting to get a hold of parts of China. As much as the Chinese government thinks they have a hold of the smaller groups, they don't on the bigger ones.

Buddhism is probably still the most dominant religion in China despite what anyone there thinks. One just can't dissolve such a significant religion as one thinks. Look at the Founding Fathers of the US. Where as they weren't attempting to get rid of religion overall, they tried in the government, and look how well that turned out.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 11:23:51 PM »
The Muslim population in West China is quite significant. Actually, I believe, to an extent they actually control that part of China. I am surprised they don't do something about them. Plus, Catholics are starting to get a hold of parts of China. As much as the Chinese government thinks they have a hold of the smaller groups, they don't on the bigger ones.

Buddhism is probably still the most dominant religion in China despite what anyone there thinks. One just can't dissolve such a significant religion as one thinks. Look at the Founding Fathers of the US. Where as they weren't attempting to get rid of religion overall, they tried in the government, and look how well that turned out.

-Nam
Yeah, we became a Judeo/Chritian nation...I guess.