Author Topic: OH NO !!!!!  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
OH NO !!!!!
« on: December 23, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »
Saw a report on ABC where some German guy just figured out that the Mayan thing is still happening and the "end" is  on the 24th (Xmas eve).  So open those presents early.  Damn, now I have to get out the dip and chips I tossed Friday.  Nice knowing everyone...again!!! :o
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: OH NO !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »
Apparently the Mayans forgot to figure in the sideways drift of the planet caused by the gravitational pull of stupidity. So we're a few days behind reality.

Now that we've cleared that up, fasten your seat belts folks. This end of the world may be a little bumpier than the earlier ones. Eggnog based drinks will do that.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 05:01:50 PM »
Oh fuck my ass.  I really thought we were done with this bullshit.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 05:31:46 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/International/mayan-myths-end-christmas-eve/story?id=18038862#.UNeFn29vo8A?

Could the Mayans Really Tell the Future?

Yet another question that can be answered by "No."
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »
I can tell the future. But,, only mine.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 08:46:21 PM »
The whole mayan end of the world crap has always pissed me off. They never implied any such thing. So the calendar runs out. So what? As I understand it, they created new calendars for every "age," and this one just happened to run out. Dumb christians are the ones who always interpret everything as the rapture or some such nonsense. I'm getting so tired of the number of rapture/end-of-world dates I've lived through. Wish they'd get a clue and drop the stupidity. Actually, if there's to be a real end of the world, it'll probably be because end-of-the-worlders destroy our planet through ignorance and "lame duck" attitudes.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 09:20:20 PM »
2 possible ways the world ends[1]:

1. Idiots destroy it

and

2. We get hit by a giant rock

;)

-Nam
 1. I know there are more
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:21:56 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »
Dumb christians are the ones who always interpret everything as the rapture or some such nonsense.

I guess their books never work for predictions, so they look to other books written by other, primitive men to assist them.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

x

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 11:09:27 PM »
Saw a report on ABC where some German guy just figured out that the Mayan thing is still happening and the "end" is  on the 24th (Xmas eve).  So open those presents early.  Damn, now I have to get out the dip and chips I tossed Friday.  Nice knowing everyone...again!!! :o
YU550tu|\||\|Y?t=f

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 11:11:07 PM »
YU550tu|\||\|Y?t=f
OK  :o

x

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 11:27:25 PM »
YU550tu|\||\|Y?t=f
OK  :o
Re: Sect of the Almighty Lord when |)ue!Gef2p05tread0|\|mYo\/\/|\|w!t0utthebullshit?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 12:09:55 AM »
x

The following green text indicates that this is a moderator:

We have very few serious requirements, but one of them is that you spell better than Dan Quayle (sorry, that's an old joke) and the other is that the closer you can come to being intelligible, the better. If your goal in life is to irritate for 75 seconds and then disappear, that's fine. If you want to irritate longer, you're in the wrong place. Please refrain from posting nonsense, keeping in mind that we can stop you if you can't stop yourself. Via the miracle of electronics and slightly outdated forum software.

Prove me wrong if you can, but I'm guessing that you're 11.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 12:38:31 AM »
Dumb christians are the ones who always interpret everything as the rapture or some such nonsense.

I guess their books never work for predictions, so they look to other books written by other, primitive men to assist them.

Sad thing is that the so-called primitive societies they like to denegrate (and look to) were actually far more advanced in many ways then they were. The Mayans, for instance, understood the concept of zero well before the "white man." If I remember correctly (and I might not!) they had better plumbing too.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »
I couldn't even trace the origin of the 2012 rumour. There were some murmurs about it being about the solstice passing through the centre of the galaxy, which happened in 1998. It's hard to debunk something, when you can't even find who is supposed to be accountable for defending it, so you can bash them. There is nobody to bash.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 08:53:53 AM »
I couldn't even trace the origin of the 2012 rumour. There were some murmurs about it being about the solstice passing through the centre of the galaxy, which happened in 1998. It's hard to debunk something, when you can't even find who is supposed to be accountable for defending it, so you can bash them. There is nobody to bash.
Kind of like God.  Nobody home.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »
Thank you Traveler, for being a voice of sanity in this thread.

The ancient Mayans were the first people in the Americas to have a written language.  They also had paper much earlier than most of the world, and an extraordinarily high literacy rate.  They advanced mathematics, and they tracked the movements of the night sky more carefully than anyone.  They also created a complex calendar to track time for literally hundreds of thousands of years into the past and the future. 

The relative starting point for their calendar was the beginning of the first baktun.  A baktun lasts 144,000 days.  This week, the 13th baktun on the Mayan calendar ended, and the 14th baktun started.  The Mayans NEVER predicted the end of the world.  Then determined a date that their complex calendar would turn a page.  Silly new age white people, who know nothing about the Mayas, predicted the end of the world.

I have been hoping beyond hope that all of this attention to the Mayan calendar would draw some attention to the Mayan reality today.  The descendents of what was probably the most literate civilization in the ancient world, represent the second lowest literacy rate in the western hemisphere today.  Today's Mayans also have one of the highest infant mortality rates in the hemisphere. and live in semi-apartheid conditions.

In Guatemala today, the Mayan majority live in extraordinarily primitive conditions on the land where they built thriving cities while Europe was in the dark ages.  The Guatemalan ruling class, composed of people of European descent, marginalize the Mayan majority, and limit their access to public resources and infrastructure.  When the land that a Mayan community is inhabiting as subsistence farmers is wanted by a mining company or a mono-agriculture farming family, they Mayan inhabitants are evicted or killed.

Watch the first 10 minutes or so of this video.   I know it is long. 

This has been a difficult month to be the mother of a child of Mayan ancestry.  She has heard her ancestry mocked by many ignorant people.  Even newscasters.  Even profit hungry corporations. 

Listen to the last line in this commercial.

Who's in control now, Mayans?

Is that a rhetorical question? 

I honestly cannot imagine the mainstream media, and even random people on the street, hurling such insults at any other oppressed ethnic group.  Can you?  Who's in control now, Kurds?  Who's in control now, Bantus? (in pre- Mandela South Africa)  Who's in control now, Tutsis? (during the genocide in Rwanda) Who's in control now, Hopis? 

I know it is fun to mock silly superstitions.  But the wrong people are being mocked her.

Stop it.  Just stop it. 

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »
Does anyone have any web addresses of pro-mayan apocalypse site, so we can go and laugh at them?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »
Were the Mayan's just talking about the end of a universe cycle? I think it is just the profiteers were trying to convince everyone that it was the end of the world,and the Christians were hoping it was.

After all,who wants to see the world end faster than the Christians,so much so they spend billions a year making sure Jesus has a place to return(Israel) safely.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 01:31:36 PM »
Are the Mayans still around?  I thought they were one of those lost civilizations.  If so, they must feel like that Geigo commercial with the cavemen.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »
Were the Mayan's just talking about the end of a universe cycle? I think it is just the profiteers were trying to convince everyone that it was the end of the world,and the Christians were hoping it was.

After all,who wants to see the world end faster than the Christians,so much so they spend billions a year making sure Jesus has a place to return(Israel) safely.

This week was the end of the 13th baktun.  A baktun is 144,000 days, or just under 400 years.  Longer than our centuries.  Shorter than our millennia.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baktun  We are now at the beginning of the 14th baktun.  The calendar just turned a page.

Are the Mayans still around?  I thought they were one of those lost civilizations.  If so, they must feel like that Geigo commercial with the cavemen.

I've got to tell you, I go nuts when I hear this. 

Yes.  The Mayans are still around.  In spite of several decades of attempted genocide in the 20th century, millions of Mayans continue to exist.  In Central America, the majority of Mayans are oppressed and marginalized.  As I said earlier, they have one of the highest illiteracy rates in the hemisphere, and one of the highest infant mortality rates. 

Chronic malnutrition among Mayan children is so severe, that Mayan children in Guatemala are much shorter than Mayan children raised (often in poverty) in the US.

My beautiful Mayan daughter is in the 80th percentile (by US standards) for height.  Nutrition is an amazing thing. 

One Mayan, Rigoberta Menchu, won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1992.

Spread the word.  The Mayans are not mythical creatures to be mocked.  They are people who could benefit from a little advocacy surrounding international human rights. 

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »
I think the reason that Mayans are thought to be extinct is that much is made of the "death" of their cities. Beautiful and complex architecture, now covered by the jungle. I visited Guatamala in 1976 (as an art and philosophy student) and it was amazing. We met Mayan people, but as Quasi said, most were living in poverty. At that time no one knew for certain how their extraordinary civilizations "died." I'm afraid that I haven't kept up with the research, so do not know if they've uncovered the reasons yet. I do know that what I was shown and taught is vastly out of date.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »
I have it on good authorty that if you click your heels together three times and say "Gort klattu barada nickto", you'll be exempted from the Mayan apocalypse.

Do it now, and do it often.

8)
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz