Author Topic: Funny/sad/hilarious things religious people say  (Read 1484 times)

Offline colin040

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Funny/sad/hilarious things religious people say
« on: December 21, 2012, 05:33:18 PM »
Sorry if this thread has been done to death (or if you people get bored) of it. Anyway, I think the title speaks for itself.

There's this christian girl (about 10 years older than me, that makes her 29) in my class and to my surprise she comes off quite strict and serious about it. Anyway, I once had a little chat about her idea of sins. I brought up the subject lying and asked if it would be a sin to lie. She said it it's indeed a sin. Then I came with a little scenario: ''what if a person during world war two hides two jews. Later nazis check this house and ask for jews while the owner says he hasn't got anyone here'' Would that be wrong? She simply says that it's not. I ask whether sins are always bad or in this case, wouldn't be too bad after all. She responses ''but it's a sin''. Seems like she didn't really know what to say here. :p

Later, during class the subject religion came up in class. This said to the teacher that ''if I'd die I can tell I lived a religious life and you can't. I ask a simple question ''what if you worship the wrong god?'' Her response? ''but...that's not what I believe in!'' I decided not to say anything.

Some weeks later this muslim dude in my class talks about muslim girls being all covered up. He said that he'd take photo's of girls that wouldn't be. I said that it's his fault and not girls who aren't covered up. The only thing he had to say was that ''I shouldn't see it black or white''.

Sorry for any grammar mistakes. English isn't my first language.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Funny/sad/hilarious things religious people say
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 05:40:22 PM »
Reason and critical thinking are not always the strongest in religious believers. 

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 05:52:11 PM »
Believers are required to be inconsistent because they have no source of consistency. We atheists can find them with ease, but part of religious blindness is being unable to detect things they don't want to see. And an eye exam and glasses won't help their problem, because they would smear mental vaseline over the lenses.

The only consistency required by religion is saying the words "I believe". Everything else is fluff. That they misinterpret as truth.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
  • Making atheists cry since 1991
    • PURE TRUTH
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 06:31:49 PM »
OP : Very interesting. I think I might have an answer. To be fair, I probably wouldn't have an answer to this a few months ago. It's smthg I thought long & hard only a few months ago.

People generally believe that one of the 10 commandments is : "you shall not lie", when in fact, no such commandment exists. One should always be careful not to speculate or add to/subtract from the word of God.

Here is what the commandment really says : Exodus 20:16 Do not give false evidence against your neighbor. CJB

Exodus 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. KJB

Needless to say, there is a huge difference between lying & bearing false witness. So, imho, clearly, The Lord doesn't want us to lie in serious matters. Never. BUT, in extreme cases, such as the one you described to the christian girl in your class, one could potentially lie without necessarily having broken the commandment. Don't know if you're well versed with the scriptures but Abraham lied twice about his wife, saying she was her sister, so that pagans wouldn't kill him & take her for themselves. & Abraham is pretty well-known for walking in God's statutes pretty much all the time. :P Now, in reality, Sarah was also his sister... so this further complicates the matter. But still, some people today will say : "a lie is a lie..."

So, it's kinda complicated. There's obviously a thin line between a lie, a half-lie or a white lie.

My take  on this is that if one is a true born again believer, he should not worry if he's doing the right thing or not. God will provide & He will understand. If one lies & thinks it's God's will then it's good enough. If one does not lie & thinks that is God's will then it's also good enough. The fact is, that the commandment doesn't have the word lie in it... Period.

Blessings
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:33:29 PM by SHIN KAIRI »
Presuppositionalism wins everytime

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

Making atheists cry since 1991

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline colin040

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »
No I'm not familiar with the bible verses. Considering this girl's age I expected a more thoughtful reply though. She mentions God quite often in class which is becomming annoying...since she can't back her shit up. She also mentioned that the proof of her God lies...in her heart.   &)

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
    • PURE TRUTH
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:23:54 PM »
^ LOL she's one of those huh?...  Oh well... :P

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:24:30 PM »
No I'm not familiar with the bible verses. Considering this girl's age I expected a more thoughtful reply though. She mentions God quite often in class which is becomming annoying...since she can't back her shit up. She also mentioned that the proof of her God lies...in her heart.   &)

A shocking number cant my friend.  And no, we never tire of that stuff.

Shin, that was actually a good response.  I dont agree, but its at least better than some of the "old shin" techniques.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 10:03:27 AM »
@Shin-

So the commandments are much more important than the abominations?  I mean, there are a lot of abominations, and they don't seem to be collected in any central place for study. 

Lying does come up several times. 

Proverbs 6:16-19 

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

And

Proverbs 12:22

The LORD detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful.

Of course, the abominations are all pretty confusing. 

Idolatry.  Unequal weights.  Arrogance.  Homosexuality.  Incense.  Certain haircuts.  Eating insects with 4 legs. 

I can understand why it is easier to just stick to the 10 commandments. 

@Colin - Sorry for going ot. 

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
    • PURE TRUTH
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 10:05:21 AM »
Shin, that was actually a good response.  I dont agree, but its at least better than some of the "old shin" techniques.
Yes, I knew u were gonna like it :laugh: Tried a bit harder, like u & Kimb taught me

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 11:29:39 AM »
Anything we can do to make your bullshit at least coherent!  :angel:  ;)
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin