Author Topic: America's Shameful Christian Crime Spree  (Read 799 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
America's Shameful Christian Crime Spree
« on: January 03, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
"There's a rampant crime spree going on in America. You won't hear about it through most media sources, and you aren't likely to hear anyone calling it what it really is: a Christian crime spree. But that's a very accurate description.

Over the last few years, various atheist and skeptic groups have started posting billboards, banners, and other advertisements all over the country. In response, many Christians are taking it upon themselves to steal or deface them....

Fortunately, there is a bright silver lining to this crime wave. In a nutshell, the Christians are proving us right. Every time an atheist billboard is defaced or stolen, a Christian is proving not only that (s)he is hatefully intolerant of atheists, but that (s)he is willing to commit crimes in the name of Jesus. In the days before the internet, Christians -- especially in rural areas -- could oppress and discriminate with near impunity, and no one would be the wiser. Today, we are watching and taking notes."

http://www.examiner.com/article/america-s-shameful-christian-crime-spree
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
Re: America's Shameful Christian Crime Spree
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »
That thou shall not steal commandment does not come into play if you are a warrior for Christ.  See there are always exceptions.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:42:30 AM »
As long as they believe Jesus died to absolve all SIN.....no big deal if you sin.....it's a win win for Christians
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Lazarus

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:15:04 AM »
As long as they believe Jesus died to absolve all SIN.....no big deal if you sin.....it's a win win for Christians

Yep, the bible clearly says that those who break the commandments will be called least in heaven. That means murder, steal, whatever, you still get into heaven as long as you accept Jesus, you're just a second-class citizen there.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 03:28:29 AM »
The report in fact goes to the prejudice that is the human condition. The rule is not only “Like produces like” but is extended in those areas where biological reproduction is not possible to “like promotes and protects like.” This is shown, from the greatest to the least,  in

My family > my neighbour > my town > my State > my country > my ethnic group > my species.

We would give all for our family but it would have to be pretty serious for us to give as willingly to some bunch of total strangers thousands of miles away[1]

Within this broad outline there are subclasses of the same thing:

My church> similar churches > similar sects > similar religions > other religions and it pretty well ends there.

The problem here is that even a cursory look at the Bible shows a legal system that (i) has one penalty – death for any slight against God but a graduated series of penalites, starting with minor ones, for crimes against each other (ii) is based upon the Code of Hammurabi, who was seen to be a reformer in his day but is now seen as a draconian bastard.

Thus, as some Moslems have a fanaticism, which seems to be easily roused, when it comes to even depicting Allah/Mohammed, some Christians are up in arms when it comes to their God. Like deluded people, they can see that an all-powerful God, were He there, could deal with offences against Him at the blink of an eye, yet they think that they have to do the earthly action to avenge Him.

This is the true horror of religion – it takes away your critical thought and your sense of proportion and you become willing to do anything for the cause.

Back to the Christian vandalism of atheist posters. Is this just a manifestation of aversion to criticism? If it is, are we not all averse to criticism? If I see some inane and vacuous Christian slogan, am I not tempted to add a tag line[2] But do we not listen to Carlin, Meyers, Dawkins, et al, effectively tearing apart religion of all shades? Is that vandalism? Does it make Christians angry?

Does the fanatical Christian have these weapons? No – he is backed by the army of the non-critical thinkers. So he goes the only way possible – vandalism.

I am reminded of a Thai saying, “If you lose your temper, you have lost the argument.” Not always true, but a guide.

Look upon a vandalised billboard as saying, “This was so effective, they had no answer.”

1. Yes, I know that many of us have an arsehole for a family member about saving whom we would have to think twice if he fell in a sewage pit, but this is generalities
 2. for you soccer fans, we have the famous, “Jesus Saves!” poster to which is always added, “But David Beckham <or insert famous footballer of choice> scores on the rebound.”
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”