Author Topic: The lunatic fringe is alive and well in Erie PA  (Read 534 times)

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
The lunatic fringe is alive and well in Erie PA
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:21:50 AM »
Another embarrassing letter to the editor in the Erie Times-News today. Second letter down, titled "Freedom is still at stake"

When will people understand that submitting to an ultimate overlord is the exact opposite of freedom? I am likely to put together a letter in response to this, because it's just so insane. In the same letter she bemoans the mockery of Christianity, and then insists that we should have a right to offend Muslims. On the latter point I agree, but the double standard is so stupidly obvious. " You can't make fun of MY beliefs, but I can make fun of anyone else's beliefs." Not surprisingly, she doesn't list a single document from the founding days of our nation which says that it was founded as a Christian nation. Obviously she can't do this, because no such document exists. There is however (as most of you are probably aware) a document from the founding days, signed by the most Christian of the founding fathers, that says the US is "not in any sense founded upon the Christian religion". 

I suppose it's really not a surprise that someone who clings to religion would hold views in contradiction of facts. After all, that's what faith is all about. It's just pathetic to see in action.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +182/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Re: The lunatic fringe is alive and well in Erie PA
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:46:37 PM »
That was... rather Chicken Little-esque.  :o

It's sad that she's so frightened. Or it would be if she didn't sound so smugly self-satisfied, as though she's won some sort of gloomy, dismal victory. Ugh.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
Well, that is the state where you must get a vaginal probe in order to have an abortion.  Lunatic fringe must be the norm.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:01:33 PM »
Another embarrassing letter to the editor in the Erie Times-News today. Second letter down, titled "Freedom is still at stake"
There is however (as most of you are probably aware) a document from the founding days, signed by the most Christian of the founding fathers, that says the US is "not in any sense founded upon the Christian religion". 

Not only does the document say that, it says it in reference to the muslim religion.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia page on the Treaty of Tripoli:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

Of course, it probably doesn't count, because, in retrospect, the Tea Baggers want it erased from our history books, to more accurately reflect our history as an honest country.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 06:31:35 PM »
Now just wait a gosh darned minute!  David Barton, the renowned US historian, says it's plainly obvious the US Constitution was quoted "verbatim" from the bible!

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/10/1082276/-Crackpot-Historian-David-Barton-The-Constitution-quotes-the-Bible-verbatim

There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »
^^^That guy has to be crazy.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »
Jesus Christ, another one! Prayer is needed, not gun control I do think that the Erie Times-News must have a sense of humor to print some of the letters they get. Either that or they really are dedicated to being fair and balanced.

Either way, yeah, what a sorry suggestion. Instead of actually having an intelligent conversation about the real problem of gun violence in this country, let's just ask the magic man in my head what to do! In other words, instead of actually facing the real problem and tackling it in some reality based way, lets do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and hope the problem goes away on it's own, and if it does, we will say that it is because we did nothing at all!

Nevermind that according to this guy[1] between 1999 and 2012, there were 334 people killed and 437 people injured on church property due to violent attacks, which in 58% of those cases, a GUN was the weapon of choice! I guess if only prayer was allowed in church this never would have happened....

And according to the same guy, the highest number of church murders in that time period was... last year, 2012. The same year all of these idiots decided to say that we needed more God to protect us from gun violence. Please excuse me, I might need to throw up now.

I just don't understand how people can be so confident about being so wrong. Christians being fed to lions in the Coliseum probably prayed a lot, (Please Lord Jesus don't allow these lions to eat me! Cut their throats with that sword that is supposed to be coming out of your mouth! Lift up a mountain and squish the evil kitties with it!)  yet the lions always had a feast at the Old Christian Buffet. Their prayers made no difference. No amount of prayer could spare 6 million Jewish people from being exterminated. It took the secular armies of Russia, the US, and Britain (and Canada, and France, and Australia, and many others) to put an end to the Catholic madman Hitler and free the Jews from their bondage. In fact about half of the concentration/death camps were liberated by Russia, which was officially a godless country. Please don't try to tell me prayer makes a difference. It's absolute rubbish.

And never mind that countries that are largely secular and have a significant atheist population, like Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and the Netherlands, have a murder rate 1/5 of that here in America. The Anders Breivik incident in Norway was such big news because big shooting incidents just never happen there. It was an outrage, a complete fluke. It's EVERY DAY here in America! Even in Erie, which has a population in the city of `~100k and countywide about 250k, there is a shooting, a stabbing, armed robbery, rape, assault, child abuse, spousal abuse, animal abuse, and sometimes ALL OF THE ABOVE, every day! In a city where you can't stand at an intersection and not have a church in sight.

Having worked in OCY (Child Protective Services) I can tell you from experience that a very small number of parents who are abusive or neglectful identify as non religious. Maybe 3 out of all of  people I had seen. In fact the ones who were the most overtly religious were often the ones most inclined to be abusive and neglectful, in other words to have more serious problems, more lasting and continuous abuse and neglect, and the most likely to leave it all "in God's hands". It's really sorry seeing a crackhead prostitute thinking that the Lord will help guide her, and refuse help from me, who can offer her a lot of services and connections to help her get back on her feet. Or a father whose every other word is Praise the Lord and God is Great and Have a Blessed Day, whose utter stupidity led his son to getting severe second/borderline third degree burns on his torso, arms and hands, and then does such a poor job keeping the wounds clean (the fact that he scared off the home health care nurse with threats didn't help) that it was necessary to remove the child from the home just so that he could properly heal! Where the hell was God in all of that?

And of course, it wouldn't be at all appropriate for me to say to them that maybe they should rely on REALITY instead of God to help them prevent harm to their children. No, you HAVE to respect their religious beliefs, even when it's offered as an excuse for things like this. It's disgusting. Religion poisons everything!
 1. His association with "Focus on the Family" certainly doesn't help his reputation, but the data provided seems legit, considering that he has a list and description of each incident here

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:08:03 AM »
Well, McConnell said today that any talk about guns would have to take a back seat in congress.  So I guess prayer is all we have left.  I guess thinking about the faces of those little kids looking at a gun in their faces has worn off enough.  Shoot em up.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »
Well, McConnell said today that any talk about guns would have to take a back seat in congress.  So I guess prayer is all we have left.  I guess thinking about the faces of those little kids looking at a gun in their faces has worn off enough.  Shoot em up.

The President seriously needs to walk into the House with Michele, both wearing boxing gloves, and say "Alright, here's the deal. You people suck. Even people from your own party think you suck. I'm tired of your BS. I challenge any one of you to fight me. Or for the women, to fight Michele. If I win, we do it my way. Got it?" That would be epic. It's seriously coming close to that. Who wouldn't want to see the President punch the evil grin off of Paul Ryan's face? And he could have "Predator"written on his boxing gloves, and when he delivers the final blow, shout "You just got KO'd by a Drone Strike!"

OK, enough Sunday morning silliness. back to my coffee.