Author Topic: Even the Hindus offend the religious right  (Read 727 times)

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Even the Hindus offend the religious right
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:27:10 AM »
Yoga class gets protested by religious group

Evangelicals are actually calling for religion to be taken out of the classroom in California.

The religion they're concerned about? Yoga class, in an elementary school. Granted, it's not all cut and dried, but essentially, the school is trying to make yoga class mandatory, unless the student opts out. Evangelicals are terrified that their children will be indoctrinated into Hinduism, and ... well, here's one of them in her own words:

Mary Eady, the parent of a first grader, said the classes were rooted in the deeply religious practice of Ashtanga yoga, in which physical actions are inextricable from the spiritual beliefs underlying them.

“They’re not just teaching physical poses, they’re teaching children how to think and how to make decisions,” Ms. Eady said. “They’re teaching children how to meditate and how to look within for peace and for comfort. They’re using this as a tool for many things beyond just stretching.”

Ms. Eady and a few dozen other parents say a public school system should not be leading students down any particular religious path. Teaching children how to engage in spiritual exercises like meditation familiarizes young minds with certain religious viewpoints and practices, they say, and a public classroom is no place for that.

I find these people baffling. How sad to go through life so scared of the unfamiliar that you would deny your child something so useful, like how to find peace and comfort from within themselves. Or how to think, and make decisions! The horror!  >:(
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
Re: Even the Hindus offend the religious right
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 02:24:27 AM »
I feel that theists react in this way towards other flavors of theism because they know, at some level at least, that they can't back their shit up. Now, towards us, they'll happily make arguments up. Because, when we shoot those down, they'll just make new ones up on the spot. The buckshot tactic ... just keep firing off nonsense and some of it will not be deflected immediatly.
With other-flavor theists ... this doesn't work. They can make up shit too. You shoot 20 arguments at them, they shoot 20 back.
So, what do you do? You stop them from even coming near you. The lalala-I-Can't-hear-you approach to philosophy. And if the well-being of your kids is a casualty of this approach, then so be it. The One True Faith (tm) trumps everything.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 03:50:43 AM »
Yoga class gets protested by religious group

Evangelicals are actually calling for religion to be taken out of the classroom in California.

The religion they're concerned about? Yoga class, in an elementary school. Granted, it's not all cut and dried, but essentially, the school is trying to make yoga class mandatory, unless the student opts out. Evangelicals are terrified that their children will be indoctrinated into Hinduism, and ... well, here's one of them in her own words:

Mary Eady, the parent of a first grader, said the classes were rooted in the deeply religious practice of Ashtanga yoga, in which physical actions are inextricable from the spiritual beliefs underlying them.

“They’re not just teaching physical poses, they’re teaching children how to think and how to make decisions,” Ms. Eady said. “They’re teaching children how to meditate and how to look within for peace and for comfort. They’re using this as a tool for many things beyond just stretching.”

Ms. Eady and a few dozen other parents say a public school system should not be leading students down any particular religious path. Teaching children how to engage in spiritual exercises like meditation familiarizes young minds with certain religious viewpoints and practices, they say, and a public classroom is no place for that.

I find these people baffling. How sad to go through life so scared of the unfamiliar that you would deny your child something so useful, like how to find peace and comfort from within themselves. Or how to think, and make decisions! The horror!  >:(
simple, Shiva nobody likes Shiva.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 08:15:49 AM »
Yes, we can't have any of that pagan stuff in our classrooms.  Only the God of pain and suffering.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Bagheera

• Graduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »
It's. . . actually fairly predictable. These are the people who link anything associated with [X] as an inextricable and intrinsic part of [X]. That is part of the reason they want Christianity promoted by the government. They learned 'thou shalt not kill' was part of the 'Ten Commandments at church growing up, and literally cannot comprehend that morality can be learned without Christianity. So when they see yoga being taught in classes, they cannot see it as anything other than a religious instruction, because yoga = Hindu.

That would be like . . .atheists equating "people shouldn't murder each other" as promoting Christianity.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +578/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »
So...they're upset because their children might think and make decisions for themselves, because they might learn how to gain strength and comfort from their inner selves?  I don't even see that as being a problem; frankly, we need more people able to think for themselves rather than letting other people think for them.

I'll bet that if the school were having mandatory exercises in prayer, they'd have no problem with it.  I'm not much for hypocrites.

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 03:42:15 PM »
  I'm not much for hypocrites.

Yep, I like that about you.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
  • Making atheists cry since 1991
    • PURE TRUTH
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »
OP : there's much worse than that out there. I remember seeing a catholic nun on ytb saying that pokemon was of the devil & that people shouldn't play or watch pokemon cz they met get posessed :P

Ooohhh catholics... don't you just love them?
Presuppositionalism wins everytime

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

Making atheists cry since 1991

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »
Got to love their hypocrisy.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »

-Nam
Amen brodder Amen

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
  • Making atheists cry since 1991
    • PURE TRUTH
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »

-Nam
Amen brodder Amen
lol none haha

C'mon all. Someone bring mags over to WWGHA so we can all sing :laugh:.

Presuppositionalism wins everytime

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

Making atheists cry since 1991

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 04:33:06 AM »
^I believe she was banned for life here, though I bet she'd say otherwise (and she has at IGI).

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.