Author Topic: Calling all old sk00l 8 bit Elite fans  (Read 332 times)

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
Calling all old sk00l 8 bit Elite fans
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:27:20 PM »
Elite: Dangerous.

Braben trying to do a new Elite via the Kickstarter scheme

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

Looking good. I've pledged. If you loved Elite then why not join the bandwagon and pledge some to get the show onthe road.

Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
Re: Calling all old sk00l 8 bit Elite fans
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 05:35:36 AM »
I thought about it.  But then I remembered the absolute Crock that Elite:Frontier turned out to be.

In the Kickstarter blurb he praises himself that he made"...a model of the whole of the Milky Way galaxy with all 100,000,000,000 or so star systems, and many more planets and moons, each of which you could visit. It is something I am really proud of, as it was as scientifically accurate as I could make it" - but doesn't mention that fact that the missions were bugged, and sometimes your ship blew up when trying to take off.

I'd LOVE to play a decent game of Elite - I'm just not sure that he will produce one.  And frankly, who cares that his game had 100,000,000,000 places you could visit.  Allowing a scant 1 minute to travel to and examine each one, and you'd still need to play the game solidly for almost 200,000 years to see them all.  And that's assuming your ship didn't blow up on take off all the time.....

If I can be sure he will be working on the actual GAME, rather than the code to generate meaningless numbers, then I might be persuaded.  But like I say - the last game of his I played was a steaming pile.....
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?