Author Topic: [Name]'s perspective [#2707]  (Read 441 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
[Name]'s perspective [#2707]
« on: December 19, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »
Hi there,

For many years (17) I have been a strongly practicing Christian. My faith was unwaivering, for the most part, and I was more than just a 'pew-warmer' every Sunday. I preached on a few occasions and led home Bible studies. My wife and children have always followed suit. And then a time came when I took my faith to unprecedented levels, even for me, and started to believe God for more than what the average Christian puts his/her faith out for. That was when the whole deck of cards started to come crashing down.

It started with the question of evolution. I vehemently opposed it and supported creationism absolutely. I had a David Attenborough D.V.D in my possession explaining and endorsing evolution which I didn't watch for 18 months because I was fearful of its content. Then one day I put it on. And I wept when I saw it. The emotion that came over me as a 35 year old man was weird. I was dealing with the beauty of evolution and its trappings and the fact that I felt I had been lied to for so many years by pastors, christians, etc. all at the same time. I oppose creationism now with more might than I ever opposed evolution.

Which led me to scrutinize the Bible a little more closely. I am shocked at the amount of error it has. And yet Christians are forever rationalising that error; trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole as it were. Then I stumbled upon your website which poses the very questions, albeit in a different format, that have troubled me over many years. God's healing, or lack of it. You're right, the Bible is unambiguously clear on the promise of healing and yet I have never witnessed it in a way that confirms it as true. And yet so many Christians pussy-foot around the rationale that maybe this is all wrong.

To end, let me share this experience with you which I feel proves a point which I'll make at the end. At the school where I teach, a certain boy drowned in a pool (not a student of ours but a random, unsupervised visitor). While the paramedics and the family of the boy were all there, I decided it was time to exercise our faith. I pulled a certain colleague aside, a strong Christian, and suggested to him that we pray for God to resurrect this boy from the dead. This was not a cynical move on my part, merely an exercise of faith and scripture. This particular colleague was in, but his caution to me was that we show sensitivity to the family and pray 'around a corner', in private as it were. Of course the boy remained dead and we went our separate ways. But I was troubled by this colleague. I felt that if he really believed in the miraculous like he said he did then his caution would not have been there. Who would want to show sensitivity to people who you believe are about to receive the greatest gift ever?! Here's my point: even the devout, strong Christian believers (most of them anyway) don't really believe in miracles, and dare I say God. They just don't know that they don't believe. I bet if one could subject a whole lot of Christians to hypnosis (!) the results would be alarming as to what they actually believe. By the way, this colleague was subsequently made an elder in our church; go figure!

Chat later,
[name]
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: [Name]'s perspective [#2707]
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »
Thank you for sharing your story. There are others here who went through similar transformations. If you are so inclined, please join us here. As you now realize, atheists don't bite.  :)
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »
Sounds like KCrady's "you live in the same godless universe as me" line. In every situation, the believer acts in a way that is exactly the same as one who does not believe in any deity. Every decision is made in the expectation that no deity will do a thing.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +503/-17
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:26:06 PM »
Welcome.

Quite a remarkable story; particularly the attempt a resurrection. I’d never thought about anyone trying that before. Which flavour of Christianity were you?

And what of your wife and children?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +180/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »
Interesting story, thank you for sharing it!

Your letter states that you've been a strongly practicing christian for quite some time, and you also relate details that indicate that you've had an awakening of sorts. However, I noticed that you refer to your christianity in the present tense throughout your letter.

Rather than assume anything, could you tell us if you still consider yourself a christian? It sounds as if this experience has made you question some of your beliefs, but I'm unsure of what you believe now. I'd be interested in hearing more, if you're inclined to stop by and tell us about it. Please do consider joining the forum.   :)
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  You should consider joining our forum, and telling us more!

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +123/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 09:11:02 AM »
Here's my point: even the devout, strong Christian believers (most of them anyway) don't really believe in miracles, and dare I say God. They just don't know that they don't believe.

An example of why I view religion as nothing more than a social club. Humans are like animals -- we associate and travel in packs. Religion is a way to associate and travel in a pack. Anyone can walk among them and simply spew the rhetoric of a bible verse here and there, or some other colloquialism, and they will believe you are one of the pack. It's all a sham, and they know it. They just can't run apart from the pack.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:21:30 AM by Chronos »
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.