Author Topic: Greetings one and all (again)  (Read 389 times)

Offline Bagheera

• Graduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
Greetings one and all (again)
« on: December 19, 2012, 12:18:38 PM »
I took an extended sabbatical from the forum for some time (partly because the content bothered my girlfriend --now fiancee) but felt the need to touch base with well, my base. :)

I'm from Toronto, Canada, now an American citizen for the past 5 months, and have a tendency to use 4 words when one will try. I'm working on it. I've been a recovering theist since I was a kid; I didn't really believe in (bible)God since my mom started having me go to Sunday School when I was 9 or so, but every once in a rare while reflexive belief causes minor anxiety, like low grade intellectual heartburn. Reality checks make a good antacid for the brain in those cases.

I'm back because the recent events in Connecticut made me want to talk about things with people who don't automatically invoke name-calling and rage as the first response to any "controversial" topics, and this was the site that was generally pretty good that way. Don't worry; I won't start debate on gun control in the Introductions forum, but I do hope to exchange some ideas and get some insight from members in the appropriate forums.

Merry Christmas (and other seasonal related celebrations) to one and all.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Greetings one and all (again)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »
Welcome back.  We have been down for over a month so all of us are kind of getting back into it.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +164/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »
Welcome back.  You will find some threads already in progress on the school shooting and gun topics.

And don't listen to Nick, he was in denial while we were all discussing him behind his back for a month.  He'll come around.  ;D

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »
I knew it !!!! 8)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +643/-3
  • Entropy isn’t what it used to be
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »
A month? It was more like forever. I had to spend most of it at the Betty Ford Clinic.

Welcome back Bagheera. Don't break up with your fiancé over us though. I'm hoping she is now a bit more enlightened and accepting of this big fault of yours.

Haha. I just recently installed a program that can correct the spelling of common foreign and accented words and that program makes it look like I know how to spell fiancé!

Québec, ångström, mélange... I got a million of 'em.
Never trust an atom. They make up everything!

Offline Bagheera

• Graduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 04:04:44 AM »
Hunh. Then I missed the downtime. So I guess being away had its benefits; I didn't have to find something else to do waiting for the site to come back.