Author Topic: The Message of Faith [#2706]  (Read 916 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
The Message of Faith [#2706]
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:47:55 PM »
The Bible claims to be the inspired Word of God. The Bible is unique because it first claims to be written by God and then proves its divinity by many infallible proofs. Very few other books have claimed to be written by God Himself. And those which have claimed such either did not stand the test of time or are of obviously of inferior quality. Those that do the Koran or the Book of Mormon for example are filled with anachronisms and historical inaccuracies. I believe and hope you will too. Love and prayers,
[name removed]
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
Re: The Message of Faith [#2706]
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
Thank  you for posting that reply.  I did not realize that God Himself wrote the bible.  No wonder it is on the best sellers list.  I'm going to have to rethink my life as an atheists now.  You be blessed too.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »
"many infallible proofs"?

Please, stop by and join the forum so we can hear about these proofs!  Seriously.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:56:32 PM »
That is true.  The Koran says that the whole world was destroyed in a flood, and that only Noah and his family survived.  AND it says that Noah brought two animals from every species on planet earth onto the ark.  That is clearly a historical inaccuracy. 

The Koran also says that Jesus was born to a young virgin named Mary, who had been impregnated by an angel.  Seriously. 

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:10:47 PM »
From a Christian:

The Bible claims to be the inspired Word of God. The Bible is unique because it first claims to be written by God and then proves its divinity by many infallible proofs. Very few other books have claimed to be written by God Himself. And those which have claimed such either did not stand the test of time or are of obviously of inferior quality. Those that do the Koran or the Book of Mormon for example are filled with anachronisms and historical inaccuracies. I believe and hope you will too. Love and prayers,

From a Muslim:

The Koran claims to be the inspired Word of Allah. The Koran is unique because it first claims to be written by Allah and then proves its divinity by many infallible proofs. Very few other books have claimed to be written by Allah Himself. And those which have claimed such either did not stand the test of time or are of obviously of inferior quality. Those that do the Bible or the Book of Mormon for example are filled with anachronisms and historical inaccuracies. I believe and hope you will too. Love and prayers,

From a Mormon:

The Book of Mormon claims to be the inspired Word of God. The Book of Mormon is unique because it first claims to be written by God and then proves its divinity by many infallible proofs. Very few other books have claimed to be written by God Himself. And those which have claimed such either did not stand the test of time or are of obviously of inferior quality. Those that do the Bible or the Bible for example are filled with anachronisms and historical inaccuracies. I believe and hope you will too. Love and prayers,

To the OP,

How is your original statement a stand out from what any other religion can state?  I can take your original statement and paste in any god and any holy book without changing any of the content for your assertions.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »
"many infallible proofs"?

Please, stop by and join the forum so we can hear about these proofs!  Seriously.

This exactly.  Would love to hear more about these.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 01:27:53 AM »
[name removed]

So...you never actually read the Bible, huh?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +560/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 01:57:11 AM »
If the Bible was inspired by a god, it must have been a particularly ignorant one, since it gets more things wrong than it does right.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 02:43:18 AM »
[name removed]
Yes, and "The Lord of the Rings"  is really derived from the "Red Book of Westmarch" which is a collection of writings from Bilbo Baggins, Frodo Baggins, Samwise Gamgee, Meriadoc Brandybuck, Peregrine Took, and Gimli son of Gloin, as well as anecdotes from other historical sources available to those mentioned above. It accurately portrays the events surrounding the War of the Ring that took place in Middle Earth in the year 3018 of the Third Age. This historic collection includes a large amount of historical references to actual events that took place in Middle Earth, and whose authenticity is endorsed by all reputable scholars and historians in Middle Earth.

Also included are appendices which give genealogies, language and translation guides,  and cultural guides, chronologies of important events, birth and death dates of notable characters, maps, an index of Persons, Beasts and Monsters, and even an index of songs. One of its companion books, "The Silmarillion", explains the creation of Middle Earth by Eru Iluvatar, "The One, the Father of All". There are  numerous divine beings, among whom are the Istari, which include Saruman the White, Gandalf the Grey, and Radagast the Brown. These are beings of incredible power and wisdom who are sent to Middle Earth to act as guardians and guides to Iluvatar's more humble creations. One of them, Gandalf, gives his life in battle with a living incarnation of evil, one of the most feared servants of the Dark Lord Morgoth, a Balrog, and is resurrected and (indirectly) saves the world from succumbing forever to evil.

You HAVE to believe this, because I have an 1138 page book that says so.

EDIT: And it contains less contradictions, absurdities, and recommendations for cruelty than the Bible.

2ND EDIT: And the movies will blow your mind.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:45:54 AM by kaziglu bey »
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 03:09:12 AM »
[name removed]
Yes, and "The Lord of the Rings"  is really derived from the "Red Book of Westmarch" which is a collection of writings from Bilbo Baggins, Frodo Baggins, Samwise Gamgee, Meriadoc Brandybuck, Peregrine Took, and Gimli son of Gloin, as well as anecdotes from other historical sources available to those mentioned above. It accurately portrays the events surrounding the War of the Ring that took place in Middle Earth in the year 3018 of the Third Age. This historic collection includes a large amount of historical references to actual events that took place in Middle Earth, and whose authenticity is endorsed by all reputable scholars and historians in Middle Earth.

Also included are appendices which give genealogies, language and translation guides,  and cultural guides, chronologies of important events, birth and death dates of notable characters, maps, an index of Persons, Beasts and Monsters, and even an index of songs. One of its companion books, "The Silmarillion", explains the creation of Middle Earth by Eru Iluvatar, "The One, the Father of All". There are  numerous divine beings, among whom are the Istari, which include Saruman the White, Gandalf the Grey, and Radagast the Brown. These are beings of incredible power and wisdom who are sent to Middle Earth to act as guardians and guides to Iluvatar's more humble creations. One of them, Gandalf, gives his life in battle with a living incarnation of evil, one of the most feared servants of the Dark Lord Morgoth, a Balrog, and is resurrected and (indirectly) saves the world from succumbing forever to evil.

You HAVE to believe this, because I have an 1138 page book that says so.

EDIT: And it contains less contradictions, absurdities, and recommendations for cruelty than the Bible.

um...
this is quite inspiring to see this expression of humor and I thank you for it.
lmfao
um..
in all seriousness the author of the message you replied to pretty much said other books do not "stand the test of time" and are of inferior quality...
I don't know how exactly to satisfy that first requirement but I can guess how to and I hope that 1138 page book is superior in quality.
now I know you may have thought the author meant the content of the message contained within other books needed to be superior, but we very well know that that was not meant heck the Bible is not ragged or torn or anything but pristine  ;D so I would like a description just to confirm to myself that the Bible is superior in quality to the book you mentioned...
and um, if the author of the original message replies maybe we can perform a test to determine which book stands the test of time... or we can do it our selves but I cordially invite everyone to perform the test for themselves...
I suggest, for simplicity, a furnace be used to determine which book survives the test of time.
maybe there are more elaborate methods that would allow humanity to determine which books can stand the test of time better than the Bible... As long as we learn the truth we are saved, right?
hehehe

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +757/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 03:19:32 AM »

But you gotta admit they would be even better with Charlton Heston in them. Then they could honestly be called the greatest stories ever told. (I do hope you are all too young to get this joke.)
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 03:41:58 AM »

But you gotta admit they would be even better with Charlton Heston in them. Then they could honestly be called the greatest stories ever told. (I do hope you are all too young to get this joke.)
yeah, well Sméagol-Gollum shot him.
He lived but was never the same, he became life-like for the rest of his days...
I got the transcript, it was handed to me by Bilbo himself when I was sTrolling... through middle earth.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 10:14:42 AM »
The Bible claims to be the inspired Word of God.

Unsupported assetion

The Bible is unique because it first claims to be written by God and then proves its divinity by many infallible proofs.

CIrcular reasoning

Very few other books have claimed to be written by God Himself. And those which have claimed such either did not stand the test of time or are of obviously of inferior quality.

Appeal to antiquity, Poisioning the well

Those that do the Koran or the Book of Mormon for example are filled with anachronisms and historical inaccuracies.

Ignoring the counterevidece..... a thousand times over
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +663/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »
The Bible claims to be the inspired Word of God.

how would that claim be validated?

The Bible is unique because it first claims to be written by God...

It doesn't actually.  It claims to be written by a lot of people, some of whom were "inspired" by god.

...and then proves its divinity by many infallible proofs.

I've read most of the bible and not found any proofs, infallible or otherwise.  Could you kindly point me to where I could find them?

Very few other books have claimed to be written by God Himself. And those which have claimed such either did not stand the test of time or are of obviously of inferior quality.

I think you've not actually read the bible.  It is full of anachronisms and historical inaccuracies.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +527/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »
The Bible claims to be the inspired Word of God. The Bible is unique because it first claims to be written by God and then proves its divinity by many infallible proofs.

Really? Could you give us one?

Very few other books have claimed to be written by God Himself.

That's true. For the past few thousand years He doesn't seem to have done anything, does he?

And those which have claimed such either did not stand the test of time or are of obviously of inferior quality.

Obviously... just a minute... Why "obviously"?

Those that do, the Koran or the Book of Mormon for example, are filled with anachronisms and historical inaccuracies.

But the Bible says that Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, but at the time of His birth, there was no "Bethlehem of Judea"... there was a Bethlehem of Nazareth, and Jesus was called "The Nazarine" how do we explain that?

Jesus was born in the reign of Herod the Great, but Herod died in 4BC - how do we explain that.

We have records of Herod's life and there was no massacre of the innocents... How do we explain that?

Please answer, for too long we have not had someone who really "knows the Bible."
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 08:51:51 PM »
Very few other books have claimed to be written by God Himself.

IMHO, the funniest thing about this email (and there's quite a bit that's funny in here) is that you don't understand why that statement actually undermines the point you're trying to make.

Just in case you misread that sentence, I said underMINES your point, not underLINES it.

In other words, it works against you.

And even worse, you speak about the bible as though it's a sentient being, speaking on it's own behalf as to it's trustworthiness. Sky Daddies aren't creepy enough? Now you want to make that vile book self-aware? Thanks for the nightmares.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 09:12:04 PM »
then proves its divinity by many infallible proofs.

I'm having trouble with Mark 16:17-18

... also a couple of others.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 07:48:42 AM »
[name removed]

Good Lord!

How many guns do you own?

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:21:55 AM by Chronos »
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.