Author Topic: The most powerful revelation in history  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-4
  • I did haz jeezusburger™
Re: The most powerful revelation in history
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 11:57:52 PM »
Well, I watched the video for one second, and heard "haleluhja", which I translated to mean, "OK, the whole thing will be Christian propaganda."

Next I heard that the supreme God in China, previous to Buddhism, Daoism, was in fact Shang Di. Therefore I didn't need to listen to anymore of their crap, so I went to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangdi

Then I forwarded the video to 27 minutes, and sure as hell wished I'd stopped at 1 second, because they guy is now claiming that the contradictions in Genesis are somehow mirrored in some arcane expression that some Chinese guy made up.

(Then I went back to trying to figure out what youtube changed in their link system today.)
I strive for clarity, but aim for confusion.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 12:49:24 AM »
hehehe
I agree we wouldn't want Christians doing anything but spreading the word....
um how do they spread the word?
That isn't really what I was getting at.
yeah of course not.
you don't want to discuss anything that would interfere with your agenda.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 12:58:04 AM »
No.... We didn't do anything, we weren't there. Millions were killed, by individuals, most of whom have been lost to history. I am not saying that was not an atrocity, however to attach he actions of individuals to a group of people based on there ethnicity and heritage is pretty racist.
To you as well... those responsible for what happened to your people are dead... To say that all Christians are responsible is to say to an individual "You kinda look like the person that is responsible so I am holding you responsible" and once again Racist
Mhaberling: Were you there, then you would have killed, just because of your beliefs.

You can't get out of it that easy. Nearly all religions, are taught to kill with impunity, it is righteous and correct according to there own tenets and doctrines.
the fact that those very same tenets and doctrines still exist is very telling about religion.

If you believed that god or jesus gave you leave to kill Jo Bloggs down the road you would do it.
I've even heard christians state that they would kill there own children if god asked.
It has nothing to do with individuals, but all to do with the belief and doctrines they are inculcated with.

Haha... oh shit...

Bertaberts... Im not trying to get out of anything.... I am aware that if put in that situation, probably would have killed to. But I wouldn't have been me, I would have had a different upbringing and been exposed to the veiwpoints of the time. You probably would have killed in that situation to kiddo.

You say I'm trying ti get out of it as if I was guilty of something in the first place. All i'm saying is that the actions of individuals, should be seen as that. I do not hold you accountable for every terrible thing Atheists have done throughout history, don't hold me to all the terrible things Christians have done.

Also, I can tell you that if God ever told me to kill my own children... I would promptly tell God to F off. And you do not know what I was taught or what I believe. You know nothing about me except for a screen name and a post  yet u have extrapolated so much.  But you telling me who I am from such little information is kinda amusing so ill give you a little more to see what you can do with it I like medium rare stakes and room temp Crown Royal poured over ice. Please tell me more about myself based on that.

Oh and have you met Jo Bloggs, Jo Bloggs is a terrible man and deserves to die! ;)

No but seriously I don't think I would kill Jo, that doesn't sound like something I would do.

Also remember religions are not the only parts of society that have justified killing in the past.

You
do you believe that an afterlife is possible?

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
  • I could write some personal text here...
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 01:09:37 AM »
None... I believe in God... therefore the metaphisical... and with those assumptions  ya i would say there is a possibility of an afterlife
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 01:24:15 AM »
None... I believe in God... therefore the metaphisical... and with those assumptions  ya i would say there is a possibility of an afterlife
ok,
hehehehe
you are going to love this more than the afterlife...
who can experience an afterlife?
hi.

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 01:46:51 AM »
oh comment on your signature...

My Kids right not to get murdered exceeds your right to own a baseball bat. ;)

As soon as baseball bats are the weapon of choice in as many deaths as guns are, that remark becomes valid.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 01:55:51 AM »

As soon as baseball bats are the weapon of choice in as many deaths as guns are, that remark becomes valid.

And doubly so when they become as efficient.

Bats are designed for play and work best in that capacity.
Guns are designed to kill and work best in that capacity.

That's why there is a difference.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-4
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 02:03:20 AM »
I think the moderators should delete all the off-topic posts in this thread, inc. the first one.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 03:53:07 AM »
I think the moderators should delete all the off-topic posts in this thread, inc. the first one.
Add Homonym explain censorship, please

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 05:17:02 AM »
No.... We didn't do anything, we weren't there. ..... to attach he actions of individuals to a group of people based on there ethnicity and heritage is pretty racist.

Exodus "...I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me.....that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation."

Yahweh is racist, is that what you are saying?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 07:18:01 AM »

wow, bats good because they reduce murder.
nice.
you need to think about this seriously.
what makes you think?

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 07:34:20 AM »
Quote from: mhaberling
Haha... oh s**t...

Bertaberts... Im not trying to get out of anything.... I am aware that if put in that situation, probably would have killed to. But I wouldn't have been me,
Lol. You wouldn't have been anybody else.
I would have had a different upbringing and been exposed to the veiwpoints of the time.
Which is the very same religious upbringing you receive now. The bible hasn't changed has it, are you reading a different book to the one they did.
You probably would have killed in that situation to kiddo.
That is possible, were I not critically minded.

You say I'm trying ti get out of it as if I was guilty of something in the first place. All i'm saying is that the actions of individuals, should be seen as that.
Yes individuals, who follow the same book as you. Individuals who were indoctrinated in the very same way. Individuals who will kill because of their beliefs even today.
I do not hold you accountable for every terrible thing Atheists have done throughout history,
YCan you actually show some of the "Terrible" things atheist have done, considering atheists hold life to be more scared then any religious person.
Also, I can tell you that if God ever told me to kill my own children... I would promptly tell God to F off.
And that would be a lie. Which is a sin by the way.
And you do not know what I was taught or what I believe. You know nothing about me except for a screen name and a post  yet u have extrapolated so much.
Ah but I do, you are clearly religious therefore are subject to all the religious lunacy.
But you telling me who I am from such little information is kinda amusing so ill give you a little more to see what you can do with it I like medium rare stakes and room temp Crown Royal poured over ice. Please tell me more about myself based on that.
There is really no need the fact that you are religious say it all.
Oh and have you met Jo Bloggs, Jo Bloggs is a terrible man and deserves to die! ;)
(and a smiley face whilst you say such a terrible thing. Wow.)My point entirely, I would not consider anybody deserves to die. But you, well.
No but seriously I don't think I would kill Jo, that doesn't sound like something I would do.
If you truly believed it was your God or Jesus standing in front of you commanding you to kill X. You would do it, without question.
Also remember religions are not the only parts of society that have justified killing in the past.
Agreed, but religion is the only one that can incite good people to do terrible things, and more times than can be measured.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 08:31:43 AM »
Most people like to trot out Stalin and other communist dictators.  But they aren't atheistic - they just wanted people to obey them without question and saw religion as a competing influence.
So how does that make Stalin not an Atheist?

It doesn't.  But many religious people like to claim that his actions were informed by his atheism without making any attempt to show the link (i.e., correlation without causation).  If one can't show the link, pointing out the correlation is meaningless.  Stalin also had a mustache and wore shoes, but that does not mean that we should regard any other mustachioed, shoe-clad men with suspicion.

But it doesn't really matter I said I wasn't going to hold you to anything bad an atheist has done through history.

Fair enough.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 05:27:59 PM »
Bertaberts... This has gone from fun to a little annoying... You say your critically minded.

PLEASE ... Im begging you please... Tell me how that you know that I kill my own kids on demand of God.
I want to know how you get that from critical thinking, and be so sure that I would that you call me a Liar when I refute it.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
It isn't actually racist in that latter case, but a valid point otherwise.

I regret the atrocities that people committed in the past, but I myself did not commit any of those atrocities.  It's true that, descended from European immigrants as I am, I probably benefited indirectly from those things, but the fact of the matter is that I could not have done a single thing to stop them.  The most I can hope to do is try to keep such things from happening again.

However.  When Christians disregard those horrible events that happened because of Christians who came before them, when they try to pretend that they weren't done by real Christians, when they rewrite history by whitewashing the reputations of previous Christians, then they are committing an atrocity of their own.  They're perpetuating the myth of infallibility and creating the conditions for future Christians to repeat those crimes and atrocities of the past.

A modern-day Christian may not bear guilt for the Inquisition or the Holocaust, but they have the responsibility to work to ensure that such things never happen again, or else they're setting the stage for future religious atrocities.
why do you regret the atrocities?
what could you have done about it?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 05:42:14 PM »
mhaberling,

You're not much of a Christian if you don't do what Biblegod tells you to.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »
mhaberling,

-Nam
how do you know?

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 05:46:36 PM »
mhaberling,

-Nam
Why???

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
Bertaberts... This has gone from fun to a little annoying... You say your critically minded.

PLEASE ... Im begging you please... Tell me how that you know that I kill my own kids on demand of God.
I want to know how you get that from critical thinking, and be so sure that I would that you call me a Liar when I refute it.?
You say you would tell God/Jesus to f off and you expect me and the rest of the world to believe that, you are either lying or you are not religious.

God/Jesus said you must obey him or be damned, yet you would disobey God/Jesus, can you in all honesty be sincere in that statement. I doubt that, not if you genuinely believe that God/Jesus exists and is all powerful.

However if you doubt God/Jesus's existence then I will take back what I have said.

If you hold god to be the supreme being then his will must be obeyed.  Yet you say you are willing to be damned for all eternity, rather than obey your God/Jesus.
Are you sure you actually believe in a God/Jesus.
Or are you merely playing us.

And you replied "why " to Nam. Here's why.

Proverb 3:5... "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

John 14:15 - If ye love me, keep my commandments.

1 John 2:23, "Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.
Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

2 Thessalonians 1:8,9... "In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power."

Mark 16:16 - He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »
bertaberts... You say you are criticly minded... But what you mean is that your an atheist... There is a difference.

You never actually thought about what I said did you...
You already knew who I was, so the only possible explanation is that I was lying to you or lying to myself...

Maybe if you would of thought critically you could have come up with this...

I believe God exists and that he is a good god. If god started ordering me to kill people, I wouldn't so much think he was a good god and I probably wouldn't listen to him. Or acknowledge his authority whatsoever. I may believe in god, but I'm still my own person who make my own decisions. So dont EVER tell me otherwise, because you are unknowledgable.. So put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Criticly Minded. And Drop this argument its ignorant and there is no path in which you win.

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +97/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 07:50:04 PM »
Drop the ball much ....according to the stories(of the Bible) God HAS commanded people to kill others who are non-faithful and YES even to kill their own children .....what you suffer from is SPAG (self-projection as God). and you obviously glance over the parts of the Bible where God tells his followers to kill these people or those people. Your God is not loving or reliable but your SPAG sure is
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012, 07:56:36 PM »
mhaberling,

I have spoken to Christian friends in person who were compelled to say that they would have little choice but to comply if God told them to kill their own child.  None of them believe God would ever ask such a thing, but they are fully aware that God has already done so, and they seemed unable to imagine he would do it again.

They also recognize that there is no defense for such an act in the modern world.  That when God makes such a command, as he did with Andrea Yates, the rest of the world considers Andrea psychotic.  How is anyone supposed to determine whether or not Andrea was commanded by God to kill her children, after all, she said so?

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-4
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »
I've read back over most of MH's posts. We have to adapt to the fact he's a "liberal Christian", which means that we will be largely punching at shadows.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:47:20 PM by Add Homonym »

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2012, 08:56:13 PM »
Why woupd you punch at anything... i told u what i thought how is that even up for Debate?

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-4
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2012, 09:13:22 PM »
Why woupd you punch at anything... i told u what i thought how is that even up for Debate?

I've yet to understand how anything in this thread has a point, or is even vaguely on-topic.

Truly, the greatest threat to Christianity is not intelligent atheists... Its stupid Christians.

We generally punch (metaphorically) at stupid Christians who pretend they aren't stupid.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2012, 03:37:33 AM »
bertaberts... You say you are criticly minded... But what you mean is that your an atheist... There is a difference.

You never actually thought about what I said did you...
You already knew who I was, so the only possible explanation is that I was lying to you or lying to myself...

Maybe if you would of thought critically you could have come up with this...

I believe God exists and that he is a good god. If god started ordering me to kill people, I wouldn't so much think he was a good god and I probably wouldn't listen to him. Or acknowledge his authority whatsoever. I may believe in god, but I'm still my own person who make my own decisions. So dont EVER tell me otherwise, because you are unknowledgable.. So put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Criticly Minded. And Drop this argument its ignorant and there is no path in which you win.
Then I have three questions for you.

1, Will you obey your God/Jesus, in whatever request he makes of you?
2, Will you disobey your God/Jesus and be damned for eternity?
3, Do you only believe in God/Jesus for convenience sake?

Spag much!

Perhaps you missed these.

Proverb 3:5... "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

John 14:15 - If ye love me, keep my commandments.

1 John 2:23, "Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

2 Thessalonians 1:8,9... "In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power."

Mark 16:16 - He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:40:19 AM by bertatberts »

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2012, 05:42:57 AM »
I believe God exists and that he is a good god. If god started ordering me to kill people, I wouldn't so much think he was a good god and I probably wouldn't listen to him. Or acknowledge his authority whatsoever.

Interesting.  So you would have failed the test that Yahweh gave to Abraham - is that what you are saying?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
berta berts... i believe in a good god that would never ask me to do a horrible thing, if he asked me to do something i thought was wrong.. i'd burn in hell before doing it... but i dont think that will ever happen... i dont understand how you can believe in something out of convienence...
To be a Christian you have to obey God. You claim you wouldn't, so you fail the Abrahamic test stated by Anfauglir. Therefore you have created your own specific religion (SPAG). So yes you do believe out of convenience.

edit:spelling.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:07:09 PM by bertatberts »

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
berta berts... i believe in a good god that would never ask me to do a horrible thing, if he asked me to do something i thought was wrong.. i'd burn in hell before doing it... but i dont think that will ever happen... i dont understand how you can believe in something out of convienence...
To be a Christian you have to obey God. You claim you wouldn't, so you fail the Abrahamic test stated by Anfauglir. Therefore you have created your own specific religion (SPAG). So yes you do believe out of convenience.

edit:spelling.

you sure know alot about what it means to be a.christian for an atheist