Author Topic: Why won't God heal Amputee's [#2703]  (Read 820 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Why won't God heal Amputee's [#2703]
« on: December 17, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »
I was just wondering why you are such an adamant proponent to this idea? I understand your argument but why do you feel such a strong need to proof the nonexistence of a God?
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Why won't God heal Amputee's [#2703]
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
To bring modern humans out of the dark ages of mythology and BS?  Come join the forum to find out why all gods are imaginary!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
The truth shall set you free.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 06:08:01 PM »
WHY?     Because the world is getting smaller these days.  And if you combine theists like this:

With theists like this:

Those of us worldwide that are gardening and reading, studying science and baking, working, quietly taking care of our families, and enjoying our hobbies - THE PEOPLE WITH COMMON SENSE - have decided enough is enough!!
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 06:51:42 PM »
This seems to get asked of Atheists a lot. If you don't believe in God, why bother talking about religion at all? To many this seems a fair question. The problem is, that even though I do not believe in God, God interferes with my life, and causes harm to the world I live in. I can't check news on the net or open the paper without some person with religious background saying or doing something ignorant and atrocious. Example: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/17/tennessee-pastor-mass-shootings-because-schools-teach-evolution-and-how-to-be-a-homo/#.UM-nXL8LsJk.facebook.

Ok, did you read the message of that horrible, terrible person? Can you believe he would have the nerve to say such things? But you know what? The only time you ever see something like that regurgitated is when it is from the mouth of a religious person. You don't hear Richard Dawkins saying that Hurricane Sandy is punishment for Intelligent Design, or Sam Harris saying that the school shooting happened because the word "God" appears in the Pledge of Allegiance. That sort of thing NEVER happens. This is particular realm of wickedness that exists in our culture EXCLUSIVELY because of religion.

It is for that reason that religion and God can not be ignored, even by an atheist. In the immortal words of Christopher Hitchens, in response to some religious lunatic whose name I forget, "Your preachments are evil and a direct threat to the survival of civilization".  And they cannot be ignored.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 11:00:04 PM »
I was just wondering why you are such an adamant proponent to this idea? I understand your argument but why do you feel such a strong need to proof the nonexistence of a God?

I am simply an advocate for truth and reason and I believe all humans should be personal advocates.  If a person upholds reason in their personal life it will show in their public life as well.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 01:32:53 AM »
OP,

I find no strong need for anything--well, maybe sex. But that's probably it. I just like to argue.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 09:49:48 AM »

Because so many others are trying to convince me otherwise, to the point they declare I shall end up burning in hell because of my lack of belief.

Isn't it valuable to show people that their idiotic beliefs are ... idiotic? And often dangerous? I consider it a public service.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +463/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
Someone has to. Think of a country run by theocrats - Iran. Do you think Iran would improve if there were a large atheist population?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 08:45:18 PM »
The reason they talk about it so much is because the ham-handed attempts to propagate belief in a particular deity (usually considered to be the deity, as opposed to a deity) cause far more problems than they have ever solved, especially in today's day and age.  Ultimately, you end up with people who are willing to do truly insane things to demonstrate their belief and so that they can get more people to believe in their god.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 01:39:41 PM »
When I hear people like this  Pastor Sam Morris I really wonder where things are going. This is clearly not an educated man - one who has studied anything to a high level. He is clearly a product of a Bible College - in fact he got a PhD from this august college which is exempt from any inspections!

Its time pastors need proper degrees from proper universities to get jobs. I studies and got a degree in Divinity in which we actively dismantled texts in an academic way as distinct from the bible-college, faith way, and that was what finally made me an atheist!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:33:44 PM by jetson »
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 02:08:32 PM »
You can get a divinity degree on line for like $20 bucks.  No questions asked.  Then start using your tax exempt status.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »
You can get a divinity degree on line for like $20 bucks.  No questions asked.  Then start using your tax exempt status.

Huh! I spent 4 hard work years learning Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic and writing lots of essays as well as exams twice a year. You mean to say $20 would have saved me all this hard work!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Yip, that would have done it.  You could have open up your church and started to fleece the sheep.

I'd suggest not doing the snake handling bit.  High turn over there.