Author Topic: The End Is Near !!!  (Read 881 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
The End Is Near !!!
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:26:22 PM »
Just a few days now (4) until the real "end of the world".  Kind of makes you tingle all over.  I spent all my money this year on party supplies...not presents.  Have a good one all.  I'm glad we were able to get back together even if i was just for a short period of time.  May the Myan be with you.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
Re: The End Is Near !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if some people haven't sold everything and gone into
debt for one last big trip to Vegas or something.
There will probably be a lot of suicide contemplations on Dec. 22.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »
Funny.  I haven't heard a single person in my local world take any of this seriously.  To them it's all a big joke, and they laugh at the mythology of it all.  Odd though, there are plenty of people I know who are certain that the world will end as soon as Jesus returns.  Which of course is going to happen very soon.  Of course.

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
  • Making atheists cry since 1991
    • PURE TRUTH
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 04:20:49 PM »
What's really going to happen in 4 days :

Presuppositionalism wins everytime

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

Making atheists cry since 1991

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »
Last four days on Earth. If I had a dick, I'd go get laid.

A quote from the movie Dogma.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:49:43 PM »
Apparently somewhere around 12-15% of the US population is at least somewhat concerned about that date. Depending on which poll you are reading. In China, it is around 20%. Reuters reports that 1/7 worldwide believe it is the end. I've no doubt that some people will commit suicide over the next few days out of fear. It happens every time some dumbass christian predicts a specific day of JC's return. It happened the last time, and it will happen the next.

I probably wouldn't mind so much if I knew that only idiots died, but I've no doubt that some otherwise sane people are very upset about the impending end of our planet, or whatever the heck they think it is that is going to happen. And that is sad. Why we humans get some ideas that stick like this one has I'll never know. Fear must be the most important emotion to too many of us.

Nothing will happen. Except fear-based thingies which I've no doubt will include unnecessary dead people. I hope we don't get cases of people thinking it the end running around killing folks because they think there is no reason not to.

I'd make jokes, but too many are taking it seriously and that takes the fun out of it.

I'll be doing nothing different. I don't have to. There is nothing to respond to. I'll be living and breathing and posting on this site like nothing happened on the 22nd. Because nothing is going to happen.

On the bright side, that date, which people have been worrying about for years, will be here and gone. Which means the scaremongers have to come up with something else just as idiotic to write books about and get on TV programs about, etc. The slimly possible asteroid problem of 2029 is too far away. I'm guessing they'll connect next years two hopefully big comets with something horrid.

Hope I didn't just start a new end of the world meme.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
Are you saying that this might not happen?  Well, now I am going to have to rethink this.  I was planning to strip down and dance naked in the moonlight.  Damn, and what about all the chips and dip?  I guess as long as Im naked I could roll in that. ;)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
Are you saying that this might not happen?  Well, now I am going to have to rethink this.  I was planning to strip down and dance naked in the moonlight.  Damn, and what about all the chips and dip?  I guess as long as Im naked I could roll in that. ;)

Pics, or it probably never happened.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 05:14:57 PM »

Pics, or it probably never happened.

Please. I'm eating! trying to eat!

Edit: had to change the wording a bit to make my point a bit better.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:16:45 PM by ParkingPlaces »
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 06:21:42 AM »
There was a Penauts strip where Lucy said to Charlie Brown "the world can't end today because somewhere in the world its always tomorrow".  Funny, but makes some sense when you think about it.

Dec 21st begins in the middle of the Pacific....for most of the world it will still be the 20th.  Will the world end as soon as the 21st begins?  How funny if it did - it means that for most Americans the world will end early morning on the 20th, while most are still in bed.  So they'll never see "December 21st" by their clocks.

Or will the world end when the world has spun one more time and the 22nd is about to dawn in the Pacific?  Still a shocker for the US, because it'll STILL only be early morning of the 21st.  Many still asleep, many still thinking they've got a dozen or more hours before it's "doomsday time".  But that's the thing - when the 21st is ending for the Americans (say, at 9pm Central), its already lunchtime on the 22nd for the Japanese, celebrating the fact that the world didn't end on the 21st.

Maybe the world will end in "stripes" around the world as the 21st begins.  Worst luck for the Americans again, as they'll have 21 hours of news reports and panics as the world slowly vanishes like segments falling from an orange.

Probably the "most likely" scenario....... ;D .....is that the world will end at Mayan time.....but is that dawn?  Midnight at the start of the 21st?  Midnight at the end?

In short, its one heck of a mess, with the only scenario with the world ending on the 21st for EVERYONE being the third paragraph above, with America going "poof" sometime between 3 and 7am in the morning.  So basically, if you live in the US, and you think the world will end "on the 21st".....you'd better say all your goodbyes on the 22nd, 'cos its all going to end while you're snoring in your beds.

There's worse ways to go, I suppose.....but writing the above has just reinforced for me how ridiculous it is for anyone to be saying "the world will end on (date)!"
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »
Saw today where a bunch of nuts are going to some mountain in France for the "end".  The mayor of the town wants to stop it.  Sh*t, why?  A fool and his money...

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 11:29:17 PM »

Maybe just the dip.  Chips can cause nasty abrasions........ dont ask.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 11:08:10 AM »
Hey, I had it wrong.  The world does not end on Friday.  Gabriel Lemus - a white haired guardian of the flame - says that Dec. 21st, 2012 is to celebrate the end of the Mayan long calendar cycle.  On Friday at 5am a new era will start.  A cosmic dawn.  The cool part is that we will recover the ability to communicate telepathically (can you hear me now?) and levitate objects like our ancestors did.  Just think...you can get a beer now without even getting up off the couch.

Happy cosmic dawn everyone !!!!! ;D

Offline shnozzola

“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »
Gee, whose going to be more disappointed? The folks who find out they didn't die or the ones who don't get telepathic powers and levitation abilities?

Never have I been prouder than I am now, knowing that I am stupid but that I'm not that stupid.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 06:53:47 AM »
Well, it is past 5:30 am and I have tried to communicate telepathically with my dog.  So far he has just given me that WTF look but I think I heard him say back, "f*ck you...feed me".  I also tried to levitate my truck keys.  Nothing.  You don't think this Mayan thing is a bunch of bull do you???

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 08:20:31 AM »
Saw a news article today where many schools in Mich have cancelled classes for today in part because of student concern for the Mayan thing.  Really???  See how raising kids on religious beliefs allow for beliefs in stuff like this?

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »
Saw a news article today where many schools in Mich have cancelled classes for today in part because of student concern for the Mayan thing.  Really???  See how raising kids on religious beliefs allow for beliefs in stuff like this?

Once they grow up and get a job, you won't find their companies betting on their profit margins like that!  ha ha...nope, get your ass to wrok, we've got money to make.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 01:19:03 PM »
Pretty disappointing.  Not even a "oh sh*t this could be it" moment yesterday.  Good party but what a let down.  I guess its back to life now.  I would have had better luck with Geraldo and Al Capones vault.