Author Topic: There are no contradictions in the Bible!  (Read 2340 times)

Offline joseph.mahal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-7
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: There are no contradictions in the Bible!
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2015, 12:01:53 AM »

I'm just waiting kcrady to fuck him up. Then this guy can be banned forever, like his persecution complex demands.

It's all about credibility, folks.

Anger, frustration, and hostility are the only responses that atheists are capable of offering.

It's all about credibility, folks. (except it's not actually lol; it's about the subject matter)

Anger, frustration, and hostility are the only responses that theists are capable of offering. See how anyone can play your empty claims game? Cool huh?

;D

A month ago, Rachel Dolezal had loads of subject matter.
Where did that get her?

In fact, she still does.  She's still the same person; nothing has changed.

...except credibility.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +256/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2015, 12:16:37 AM »

I'm just waiting kcrady to fuck him up. Then this guy can be banned forever, like his persecution complex demands.

It's all about credibility, folks.

Anger, frustration, and hostility are the only responses that atheists are capable of offering.

It's all about credibility, folks. (except it's not actually lol; it's about the subject matter)

Anger, frustration, and hostility are the only responses that theists are capable of offering. See how anyone can play your empty claims game? Cool huh?

;D

A month ago, Rachel Dolezal had loads of subject matter.
Where did that get her?

In fact, she still does.  She's still the same person; nothing has changed.

...except credibility.

You made the claim that "It's all about credibility" (implying people's reputations, such as "angry" atheists, etc) and have yet to backup that claim. No, it's not all about credibility (ad hominem fallacy). It's about the preponderance of the evidence, in this case regarding the bible. Dolezal does not negate everything the organization stands for, nor does anyone else doing wrong, making bad decisions, making mistakes, in places all over the world. Sorry. Your fallacious reasoning does not demonstrate what you think it does.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline joseph.mahal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2015, 12:44:19 AM »

You made the claim that "It's all about credibility" (implying people's reputations, such as "angry" atheists, etc) and have yet to backup that claim. No, it's not all about credibility (ad hominem fallacy). It's about the preponderance of the evidence, in this case regarding the bible. Dolezal does not negate everything the organization stands for, nor does anyone else doing wrong, making bad decisions, making mistakes, in places all over the world. Sorry. Your fallacious reasoning does not demonstrate what you think it does.

Yes, it actually is ALL about credibility.  If you're not believable nothing you have to offer matters.

If you knew who Rachel Dolazol is, you'd understand my point.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +256/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2015, 12:47:02 AM »

Yes, it actually is ALL about credibility.  If you're not believable nothing you have to offer matters.

Oh, I understand your point quite well. And I also understand how wrong and irrational your point is too (which apparently you don't). You see, focusing upon a person, rather than the argument a person is making, is called Argumentum Ad Hominem. It is irrational no matter how many times you use it. Sorry.

If you actually studied logic you might understand.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1027/-6
  • I'm very stoic, except when there is an easier way
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2015, 12:48:24 AM »

In case you're confused, we're not all Rachel. Any more than the NAACP is all Rachel. Earlier this evening you told me I was using a minority as an example (muslims cutting folks heads off) and now here you are, using a minority (ironically, not a minority, but you get my drift) as an example.

You need to tell us ahead of time if you're gonna use double standards. Its the credible thing to do.
It isn't true that non-existent gods can't do anything. For instance, they were able to make me into an atheist.

Offline joseph.mahal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2015, 12:50:49 AM »

Oh, I understand your point quite well. And I also understand how wrong and irrational your point is too (which apparently you don't). You see, focusing upon a person, rather than the argument a person is making, is called Argumentum Ad Hominem. It is irrational no matter how many times you use it. Sorry.

If you actually studied logic you might understand.

A person with the ability to lie for personal gain (regardless of what that gain is) has proven that they don't possess the moral boundaries necessary to be trustworthy.

Without those boundaries, information value suffers.

The quest for logical fallacies will never teach you this.

Offline joseph.mahal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2015, 12:52:31 AM »

In case you're confused, we're not all Rachel. Any more than the NAACP is all Rachel. Earlier this evening you told me I was using a minority as an example (muslims cutting folks heads off) and now here you are, using a minority (ironically, not a minority, but you get my drift) as an example.

You need to tell us ahead of time if you're gonna use double standards. Its the credible thing to do.

At the end of the day a liar is a liar.

Honesty and objectivity are learned skills.  If you don't have them, you are no different.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +256/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2015, 01:02:54 AM »

A person with the ability to lie for personal gain (regardless of what that gain is) has proven that they don't possess the moral boundaries necessary to be trustworthy.

Without those boundaries, information value suffers.

The quest for logical fallacies will never teach you this.

I don't care how irrational you are willing to be in order to discredit and/or discount what someone has stated. It is still ad hominem. If Hitler said, "two plus two equals four" it is still true regardless of whether or not he has "no credibility" to you. And your ignoring the fact that you are attempting to justify discrediting someone based upon who they are as a person, or the the mistakes and/or bad decisions they have made, doesn't make your argument any less irrational (nor does it demonstrate your claim that "it's all about credibility"). Sorry. The facts are not all about credibility. The facts stand regardless of whether the person stating them is "credible".
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 01:04:40 AM by median »

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1027/-6
  • I'm very stoic, except when there is an easier way
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2015, 01:06:54 AM »

At the end of the day a liar is a liar.

Honesty and objectivity are learned skills.  If you don't have them, you are no different.

A head cutter-offer is a head cutter-offer.

Not cutting off heads is a learned skill.

By the way, honest people can experience anger, frustration and even hostility. Your assumption that atheists are neither honest or credible makes it hard for you to get your point across, because you're talking to us like we are the scum of the earth. You claim to have something to say, but you are Lyell-limiting your posts to twitter-sized diatribes, and you're being obtuse to boot.

The fact that you know what you mean when you give us an abbreviated wording of your genius doesn't mean that we know what the fuck you're saying. And when we ask over and over for clarification, that is our way of telling you that a little clarity now and then would be nice.

Honesty sucks when it is poorly expressed.
It isn't true that non-existent gods can't do anything. For instance, they were able to make me into an atheist.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +42/-6
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2015, 06:06:46 AM »

Indeed. Right now you have absolutely zero credibility on this forum. Might as well pack it in and leave then.
Jesus fulfilled many important messianic prophecies. He was a Jewish man born in Bethlehem who rode a donkey in his adult life. Hail the messiah!

Offline Merlin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +26/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2015, 07:48:06 PM »
It's quite interesting how this honest, trustworthy christian Joe completely dodged post number 65...

Merlin
"True Christians(tm) do not say [insert christian profanity here]." - Merlin

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +483/-118
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »
It's quite interesting how this honest, trustworthy christian Joe completely dodged post number 65...

Merlin

He dodged many other comments. I made a list somewhere...

-Nam
Things I've said here:

I only have a filter for people who do not consistently beg to be belittled, ridiculed, insulted, and demeaned.

I may believe people, as a whole, should be treated fairly but I also believe those same people are idiots.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +323/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2015, 10:16:23 PM »
I delight in educating atheists as well as those who think they have the right to ridicule the beliefs of others rather than enter into adult-level discussion.

When dealing with a supposed "holy book" that has imaginary floods, zombies roaming the streets of Jerusalem, and a Talking Snake™, I think that ridicule is the proper adult response.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +183/-1
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2015, 03:23:13 AM »
Well I missed a loy last night again!

Joe,

If you don't like the picture of the world posted earlier which is based on the description in Genesis along with Job 39, then maybe you should correct this with you own explanation. It is quite clear in the text that what god is creating in a flat earth with a dome over the top.

Now I have no doubt that the Hebrew may have had more thoughts about this later (though the Creation narrtive is based on the Babylonian creation myth so written maybe 500BCE, as trade expanded but I no of no where in which the basic construction of the cosmos is explained any differently and, of course, if there were... we wiould have a Biblical Contradiction wuldn't we?
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +483/-118
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2015, 01:34:12 PM »
Joe wasn't on here last night, wheels, he hasn't been on since Saturday (technically Sunday but at 2am).

-Nam
Things I've said here:

I only have a filter for people who do not consistently beg to be belittled, ridiculed, insulted, and demeaned.

I may believe people, as a whole, should be treated fairly but I also believe those same people are idiots.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +864/-31
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2015, 01:48:40 PM »
Joe wasn't on here last night, wheels, he hasn't been on since Saturday (technically Sunday but at 2am).

-Nam

joe is on post approval right now.  A mod must approve his posts.  He has not made any, but if he does, there may be a delay.  If he can show a pattern of posting like a decent human being, he will be allowed to post freely again.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.