Author Topic: Please read [#2701]  (Read 795 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +205/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Please read [#2701]
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »
I stumbled upon this site and just feel like I have to respond in some small way.   
You ( whoever wrote this) are very confused , as is most of the Christian world. 
God never promised to heal us from anything natural.  We die, no one can escape death and it comes upon us in many ways.   
Why is it so hard for people to look beyond this life ?
God has promised to save/ to heal our soul and save us from eternal death.  Nothing we ever face in this life however horrific it may be will come anywhere close to what an eternal death will be. 
Prayer is not about the natural things, our natural life, our natural welfare . God is no respect or of persons- he doesn't give one money and wealth and make another poor - or give one cancer and another life. 
It doesn't matter what we go through in this life- we all have the chance to have something horrible happen to us and do We PRAY that we would be prepared and made ready so when death comes God will accept us.   We pray that we would live so that God can work in our heart and make us like his son jesus, not that we would live so we can have a long happy earthly life. 
The religious world is very confused and you are right to question but rest assured there IS a God and he sAVES SoULS not our natural lives that are dust and will rot in the grave. 

Sent from my iPhone
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
Re: Please read [#2701]
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »
but rest assured there IS a God and he sAVES SoULS not our natural lives that are dust and will rot in the grave. 

Prove it.  Until then, your words are just that.  Words.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +644/-3
  • Entropy isn’t what it used to be
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 04:43:19 PM »
I stumbled upon this site and just feel like I have to respond in some small way.   
You ( whoever wrote this) are very confused , as is most of the Christian world. 
God never promised to heal us from anything natural.  We die, no one can escape death and it comes upon us in many ways.   
God has promised to save/ to heal our soul and save us from eternal death.  Nothing we ever face in this life however horrific it may be will come anywhere close to what an eternal death will be. 
Prayer is not about the natural things, our natural life, our natural welfare . God is no respect or of persons- he doesn't give one money and wealth and make another poor - or give one cancer and another life. 
It doesn't matter what we go through in this life- we all have the chance to have something horrible happen to us and do We PRAY that we would be prepared and made ready so when death comes God will accept us.   We pray that we would live so that God can work in our heart and make us like his son jesus, not that we would live so we can have a long happy earthly life. 
The religious world is very confused and you are right to question but rest assured there IS a God and he sAVES SoULS not our natural lives that are dust and will rot in the grave. 

Sent from my iPhone

If eternal death is horrific and we have to pass a test to avoid it, the least the dude can do is give the lecture himself, instead of depending upon the tens of thousands of different versions of the bible and his religion to properly inform us.

You guys get your act together and agree upon every frickin' thing you think is important, then you come back here and say it clearly, without contradiction, without variation, without personal customization.

I won't listen then either, but at least you believers won't be contradicting each other all the time any more. And maybe you'll start shooting each other less too.

Death is final enough. Making up a bunch of crap hoping to make it better or worse is a pretty awful hobby. Try electric trains.
Never trust an atom. They make up everything!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
So God does not give a rats ass about our well being here...just afterwards.  Prayer is for what?  To stroke His ego or something?

You may be right because after this Friday with the shooting in Conn. He must not care about the living.  To sit back and watch what those little kids had to endure (also teachers) must have been hard for this God...right?  Why then did He not do something about it.  If He does exist then He really is a monster.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +164/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
Your first step is to tell all of these believers that they are wrong about God healing anyone, for any reason.  You see, the question "why won't God heal amputees" is aimed at those who claim that God has healed their loved ones through simple prayer.  If you can convince your own believer crowd that they are wrong, and you can get them to stop making their incorrect claims, according to you, then we can have a discussion.

Good luck!

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-0
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 01:29:10 AM »

What's wrong with eternal death?  No sentience, no pain, no ego... An eternal dreamless sleep.  Oh, and the molecules from our bodies will continue to exist somewhere else.  As soon as one discards the idea that "Me me meeee" has to live forever Or Else Something Horrible Will Happen, the fear just goes away.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:56:18 PM »

Because there is nothing beyond this life, your life.  When you die there is nothing of you to physically carry on to some sort of heaven/paradise/afterlife.

God has promised to save/ to heal our soul and save us from eternal death.

Why do we need saving? Saved from what?

Nothing we ever face in this life however horrific it may be will come anywhere close to what an eternal death will be.

And why would God, a figure of supposed perfect goodness, sentence his creations, man, to endless, eternal death and torture? It simply does not make any sense.

...but rest assured there IS a God and he sAVES SoULS...

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

If there is a god and these things you call souls and these things called souls need saving by this thing called God then where is the evidence for those things? How did you prove it to yourself?

Or, I wonder, did you just grow up assuming everything you heard in church was correct?
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +644/-3
  • Entropy isn’t what it used to be
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:54:07 PM »
Irish, you're back! Maybe things are starting to get back to normal around here. Its good to see you.
Never trust an atom. They make up everything!

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »
Well it's certainly good to be back and good to see you too, ParkingPlaces.  I had almost given up on WWGHA, checking it frequently for the status.  I'm glad she's back up and running.  Now time to see if there's anything... interesting, to comment on.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 01:08:00 AM »
God never promised to heal us from anything natural.

If you ask, you shall receive.

That's in your Bible. It matters not your opinion of the matter. That's what it says.

We die, no one can escape death and it comes upon us in many ways.

True.

There's no evidence of anything beyond this life, therefore there is nothing beyond this life.

God has promised to save/ to heal our soul and save us from eternal death.

Evidence that this "God" you speak of exists?

Nothing we ever face in this life however horrific it may be will come anywhere close to what an eternal death will be.

How would one know? They are dead.

Prayer is not about the natural things, our natural life, our natural welfare .

That's because it's non-existent.

God is no respect or of persons- he doesn't give one money and wealth and make another poor - or give one cancer and another life.

True but because it doesn't exist.

All I read was: blah blah blah.

Evidence?

-Nam

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +238/-6
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »

Then why is healing claimed by thousands of Christian sects and often offered as proof of God? Why, in fact, are there so many tales of healing within the bible?

Because there's not one whit of verifiable objective evidence there's something beyond this life. The same reason it is so hard for people to see the goodness of Leprechauns.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +410/-13
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 06:59:57 PM »
Matthew 18:19 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.

Mark 16:18 They will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

James 5:14-16 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up.

Son, God hates liars.

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Anfauglir

• Professor
  • Darwins +371/-4
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 05:50:39 AM »
Your first step is to tell all of these believers that they are wrong about God healing anyone, for any reason.  You see, the question "why won't God heal amputees" is aimed at those who claim that God has healed their loved ones through simple prayer.  If you can convince your own believer crowd that they are wrong, and you can get them to stop making their incorrect claims, according to you, then we can have a discussion.

I'll add to that: assuming our email Christian is correct in what they say, then ALL those accounts from those other Christians are either (a) deluded by natural events, (b) deluded by Satan who gave them what they prayed for and thus has claimed their souls, or (c) deluded by false gods as specifically outlawed by Yahweh in the Commandments, and thus (again) are damned.

Tell us, Email Christian, which of these three options do you believe is the correct explanation for ALL those heavily touted false miracles we are constantly told about?  If you believe that even SOME of them fall into categories (b) and (c), surely you should be actively and agressively proselytising your view to Christians around the world, since their very souls are at stake.

Why waste your time here talking to atheists who are clearly damned, when you stand a much better chance telling your fellow Christians that they have got it all wrong?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »

Sent from my iPhone
yeah glad you cleared up that Christians have a better understanding that death is mandatory than you do!
SaVE yOuRsElF for iPhone, yes I phoned.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »
Sent from my iPhone

There's an app for that.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);