Author Topic: If god doesn't exist then where do we go after we die? [#2700]  (Read 2309 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
If god doesn't exist then where do we go after we die? [#2700]
« on: December 15, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »
dear whywontgodhealamputees.com

I am an Agnostic person so I do not believe in god nor the bible nor do I strongly believe in the non-existence of anything religious. However, although everything makes sense thus far, I do not know how to determine what to believe happens after we die. Rationality tells me there is no afterlife and when you die it is like having no emotions, thoughts or senses. But factual evidence of an afterlife is existent such as interview with people who have been brought back to life with hospital machinery after being dead for a few minutes, and all their stories sound similar, so is that a typical response that happens to the body when going under this situation or is this actually evidence of an afterlife?

Thanks,

[name removed]
Title corrected GB Is -> If
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 05:12:14 PM by Graybeard »
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: Is god doesn't exist then where do we go after we die? [#2700]
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »
It is like it was before you were born.  We are all a form of energy.  The whole universe is.  Energy can't be destroyed.  It changes.  We will be a part of the universe but not with any kind of knowledge of it.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »
Circumstantial evidence, not factual.

Everything we know tells us that there is absolutely nothing to us after we die.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »
a story is not factual evidence of an afterlife.
doesn't matter who tells a story... a story is just a story.
there is no afterlife, just like there is no God.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 07:50:40 PM »
I would love there to be an afterlife. Preferably a non-heaven version. I would love to know that such stories are true.

But it doesn't matter what I want. What matters is what is true. And unless new information comes to light, my death is my end. As is everyone else's.

I did fine before I was born. My non-existence didn't bother me a bit. I assume I'll return to that state. All of which makes me enjoy this brief blip in time when I can experience existence all that much more.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
But factual evidence of an afterlife is existent such as interview with people who have been brought back to life with hospital machinery after being dead for a few minutes, and all their stories sound similar, so is that a typical response that happens to the body when going under this situation or is this actually evidence of an afterlife?

They weren't dead.  They were dying.  Death is when all the cells in your body shut down.  It is a process that takes time and no one "comes back" from it.  Just because your heart stops does not mean you were dead.  After all, your heart stops in between each beat.  Nor does a lack of brain activity mean death either. 

What they experienced were typical symptoms of the process of dying.  Just like when people have the flu, everyone experiences similar, typical symptoms. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 10:30:48 PM »
OP,

It's only factual that people who said they have died, came back, and believe there's an afterlife. However, that doesn't make it a fact, or evidence that there is an afterlife just because some people say there was.

See the difference?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 01:18:03 AM »
I don't think that our personalities and memories are capable of surviving without a healthy, functional brain, and that's why I don't believe in life after death.  In fact, I've observed that there are large portions of the night (in phases of deep and dreamless sleep) when I'm not even aware that I exist.  That's what I think will happen after we die:  Complete lack of consciousness and awareness.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 06:34:02 AM »
When we die there seems to be two choices for us.

1) Get burned in a gas powered furnace and turned back into the dust that was first born in stars.

2) Get buried in earth to slowly rot and turn back into the dust that was first born in stars.

As for who you are. You will be remembered by family. Friends will have a passing thought on you once in a while. But unless you are famous or infamous you will be forgotton once your children die.
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »
Rationality tells me there is no afterlife and when you die it is like having no emotions, thoughts or senses.

And you used your rational mind properly.  After you die you will not experience anything just like before you were born you didn't experience anything.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
  • Making atheists cry since 1991
    • PURE TRUTH
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 09:17:52 AM »
Rationality tells me there is no afterlife and when you die it is like having no emotions, thoughts or senses.
That would be correct.

But factual evidence of an afterlife is existent such as interview with people who have been brought back to life with hospital machinery after being dead for a few minutes, and all their stories sound similar
It's totalThe diviners divine false visions, the prophets prophesy lies, and every dreamer shares deceptive dreams, brought forth from their own imaginations. It's all a bunch of delusions created by the brain. It's their brains playing tricks on them. But usually it's mostly lies...

On the other hand, if a child claims to have had a dream or a vision, then that should be taken into consideration. Bcz children are blameless. They have no reason to lie. You never hear a child say he has had a dream of hell(bcz it doesn't exist). They always say they had a dream of Heaven. Bcz Heaven does exist.

Food for thought...
Presuppositionalism wins everytime

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

Making atheists cry since 1991

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »
You were going quite well up to this point

You never hear a child say he has had a dream of hell

What then are the nightmares that children have?

(bcz it doesn't exist).

Do you have scripture to support that view?

They always say they had a dream of Heaven.

You know, I have never had a dream of heaven, and I don't know anyone who admits to having had one either.

Bcz Heaven does exist.

How do we know?

Food for thought...

Not really.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 08:13:34 PM »
I've always figured that near death experiences must be neurologically similar to dreams. There's  still electrical activity happening in the brain as the body is dying, and the stories people tell about those experiences are really the mind's attempt to explain what the brain was experiencing. This also explains why the stories have so much in common.

Edited for grammar error
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
    • PURE TRUTH
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »
You were going quite well up to this point

You never hear a child say he has had a dream of hell

What then are the nightmares that children have?
Nothing. Their just nightmares. About whatever the child might be afraid of. Never about an eternal torment place though.

(bcz it doesn't exist).

Do you have scripture to support that view?
The entire bible? If you haven't gone through the trouble of checking any of the links I have provided in this forum so far, then there's not much I can do for you. You can be sure of one thing though. I will not share the content equivalent to approx 15 videos & articles here, just bcz mister doesn't have time to check my links.

Bcz Heaven does exist.

How do we know?
Please...

Food for thought...

Not really.
Sure...

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
    • PURE TRUTH
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 08:25:35 PM »
I've always figured that near death experiences must be neurologically similar to dreams. There's  still electrical activity happening in the brain as the body is dying, and the stories people tell about those experiences are really the mind's attempt to explain what the brain was experiencing. This also explains why the stories have so much in common.

Edited for grammar error
Exactly.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
Shin, I really would rather you not take my side. Ever. I become instantly less credible by way of an association I don't want and didn't seek.

Please don't help me.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 10:02:08 AM »
Sorry, I don't buy the idea that children somehow have dreams of heaven when none of their other dreams (even the bad ones) are meaningful.  That just seems like cherry-picking to me.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 07:46:34 AM »
Rationality tells me there is no afterlife and when you die it is like having no emotions, thoughts or senses. But factual evidence of an afterlife is existent such as interview with people who have been brought back to life with hospital machinery after being dead for a few minutes, and all their stories sound similar, so is that a typical response that happens to the body when going under this situation or is this actually evidence of an afterlife?

A person telling a story, testimony to borrow a phrase, is not factual evidence of anything. It is the conscious recollection of an event in the past, which may or may not be accurate with respect to reality. If I were to take psychotropic drugs and tell you that the room is filled with green mushrooms, orange butterflies and 3-headed snakes, is that not factual? My recounting of the experience is factual, but the elements of the experience are clearly not factual.

People who are dying are clearly not dead yet. Their body and brain are not working properly. Anyone who has been sick can sometimes tell a different tale of something that occurred. Their telling of the story is factual because they experienced it and are telling what they saw, but the elements of what occurred are not accurate with respect to reality.

You are like some of my relatives who don't believe in god but cannot stand the thought of nothing existing after they die. They want to believe in something. You can believe in whatever you like, but you shouldn't confuse testimony with reality.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:22:17 AM by Chronos »
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.