Author Topic: "Our Universe Might Be A Computer Simulation, Scientists Test New Theory"  (Read 1532 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: "Our Universe Might Be A Computer Simulation, Scientists Test New Theory"
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »
it is a microsoft thing..
that is why I prefer the *nixes...

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 11:49:31 AM »
I read about this recently. If we are a simulation, the researchers think they can detect it. As long as the minimum size of the grid is large enough for our instruments to detect. If it is smaller, we won't be able to tell.

If we are a simulation and we do figure it out, those that are doing it best conjure up a bunch of free cookies to make up for al the crap we're putting up with.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:51:50 AM »
ParkingPlaces, just wait till this forum gets the upgrade from release candidate 4 (RC4) to the stable version.
then you and I and the simulation will end.... no cookies..

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 11:53:32 AM »
If we are a simulation and we do figure it out, those that are doing it best conjure up a bunch of free cookies to make up for al the crap we're putting up with.

Indeed.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
ParkingPlaces, just wait till this forum gets the upgrade from release candidate 4 (RC4) to the stable version.
then you and I and the simulation will end.... no cookies..

This isn't going on happen on December 21st, is it??????
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 12:47:10 PM »
It's all up to the guy named Brian from what I know.

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
  • Making atheists cry since 1991
    • PURE TRUTH
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Presuppositionalism wins everytime

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

Making atheists cry since 1991

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »
This is the only credible possibility to intelligent design. When you see how the universe naturally follows mathematical constants, patterns, and formulas, it does beg the question. Take a game like Skyrim, for instance. There are some physics in that game. If we log into the game and study it, we can probably reverse engineer the formula for how the program calculates gravity, mass, and force. But we'd never be able to figure out just what exactly holds those darn cheese wheels together. And we'd never have a unified theory. Because there isn't one.

That being said, I'm not sure I buy the idea, but it does beg the question...
http://www.imaginarygod.com

My book designed to ease kids into healthy skepticism is available for pre-order. http://www.peterskeeter.com

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
  • I could write some personal text here...
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 12:25:46 AM »
We best not make a simulation of a universe until we know for sure...the recursion might causr a stack overflow
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Bagheera

• Graduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »
I've always thought that far too many "creationists" never consider the implications; that if it is indeed impossible for the universe that we know to exist without help, the truth could be any number of things that still don't mean God as they perceive Him to be real.

What is the universe is a simulation run by us?

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 12:40:39 PM »
The biggest problem with this theory is the idea of recursion. So, let's prove that THIS universe is a simulation. Now what? All this does is prove the existence of an external universe. Who then created that? Did it have a creator?
http://www.imaginarygod.com

My book designed to ease kids into healthy skepticism is available for pre-order. http://www.peterskeeter.com

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »
If the universe is a simulation, we need to find the cheat-codes! Like RIGHT NOW!
Denis Loubet

Offline Persephone

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
  • Jamie want big boom.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 01:34:31 AM »
What is the universe is a simulation run by us?
This is a fascinating idea, one xphobe and I have been playing with for a while. Neurologists now know that vision isn't really 3D or complete at all but a simulated version of reality, all done within the brain by interpolating what data IS captured.

What if we discover all of our senses work this way?

Now according to Hofstadter, within our own minds we define subjective reality via concepts; i.e. we define our terms. We create our own understanding / interpretation of shared reality via concept definition and use. And shared, conceptual reality? It's really Consensus Reality.

So yeah, it's fun to play with the idea that we are creating the simulation.  :)
Sheldon: Ever since you started having regular intercourse your mind has lost its edge. You should reflect on that.
Leonard: Well, Einstein had a busy sex life.
Sheldon: Yes, but he never unified gravity with the other forces. If he hadn't been such a hounddog we'd all have time machines.

Offline Sleeping Shadow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »
Very cool, but at the same time, I can't believe that I just read that. Can you even imagine how insane that would be if it were true? And yes, I'd like a cheat code for free cookies and many other things.

Offline Eissak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Why Humans Came First

The Fibonacci Sequence is:

1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55

The tenth number is 55 and when these numbers are added together it equals 10. This is why we have 10 fingers and 10 toes.

When you add your fingers and toes you end up with 20. The twentieth number in the sequence is 6765. When these numbers are added you end up with 6.

The two 6s in 6765 represent the 2 arms and 2 legs

These two different limbs each have 6 parts. The arm and 5 fingers, and the leg and 5 toes.

The 7 in 6765 represents our head. 1 nose, 1 mouth, 2 eyes, 2 ears and 1 head. 1+1+2+2+1 = 7

The 5 in 6765 represents our body. 4 limbs and 1 head.

The body itself is not counted because this is represented by 0.

Interesetingly, 6 is the first whole number. 1+2+3 = 6 and 1x2x3 = 6

The body can also be described as 6 groups of 6.

Right hand and arm  6
Left hand and arm  6
Right foot and leg 6
Left foot and leg  6
Eyes, ears, mouth, nose  6
Legs, arms, body, sexual organs and head  6

6+6+6+6+6+6 = 9.

9 is a special number because no matter how many times it is added to itself, it results in a 9.   

I will explain how 9 can represent the infinite nature of God

It is important to compare it to number 6, which whenever multiplied by groups of 3, the result is 9. Hence 666 is 'the mark of the beast' (beast could just be another term for an animal)

The infinate repetition of 9, compared to the first addition of 6 three times is as shown
999 (2+7 = 9) - 666 (1+8 = 9) = 333
3+3+3 = 9
Also, note 9 - 6 = 3

So perhaps God started with our hands and feet = 6
Then created our arms, legs, sexual organs and head = 6
Then created our face = 6
This is 666.

Interestingly, when we start with the hands and feet, we have 6 x 4 and this equals 24.
2+4 = 6
24 can also be divided by 8. This would result in the first occurence of 3 in nature and is probably why there are 8 bits of information in a byte.
Unlike binary computers which are made up of 1s and 0s, a quantum (theoretically beyond space-time) computer has 3 states

These are 1s, 0s and a bit that is both 1 and 0.

This is why I believe God created man at the same time as when he created everything else.

I would appreciate other members not responding to this post. The thought processes show a certain amount of confusion. It might well be that the poster has merely copied and pasted something and omitted to give the source.

Please wait to see if the poster makes any further posts in which they might explain themselves

GB Mod
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:54:24 PM by Graybeard »

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +280/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
Eissak, the number 9 is only significant because we're operating in base 10.  If I wrote it in binary (1001) your entire argument falls to pieces.

And not one word of your numerological word salad even remotely resembles evidence for a god -- Any god.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +280/-3
    • The Springy Goddess
If the universe is a simulation, we need to find the cheat-codes! Like RIGHT NOW!

Well, I typed "IDDQD" once in Doom and seem to have become stuck in God Mode.   ;)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
The owner of the theory is Prof. Nick Bostrom http://www.nickbostrom.com/astronomical/waste.html who advocates colonising the Virgo Supercluster and its 10^13 stars. I'd do it but I'm seeing a friend for a drink on Friday. : 8

Oxford has a reputation for fine, homegrown, eccentrics.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +454/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog

Well, I typed "IDDQD" once in Doom and seem to have become stuck in God Mode.   ;)

Ah, so that explains why You capitalize Your personal pronouns? ;)
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +280/-3
    • The Springy Goddess
Ah, so that explains why You capitalize Your personal pronouns? ;)

Indeed.  However, I remain agnostic of My own divinity.    ;D

Offline Eissak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
This is original all created by me and I have read over it many times to ensure that it makes sense. I can't write it any better. It may be confusing for some but I have a background in mathematics
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:56:54 PM by Graybeard »

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +436/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
This is original all created by me and I have read over it many times to ensure that it makes sense. I can't write it any better. It may be confusing for some but I have a background in mathematics
I, too, enjoy David Lynch films.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Heisenburger

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WTFWJD?

There's a software patch! Simply download & install FAITH.EXE to your simulation's root folder. This will run a manifest destiny virus on any simulations that aren't updated.
“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.”  -Richard Pryor