Author Topic: Why when a terrible event happens do people preach?!?!  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
Re: Why when a terrible event happens do people preach?!?!
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2013, 03:15:34 PM »
The Sandy Hook tragedy sadly is what spurred me to rejoing the WWGHA forums (See my (re)introduction post: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,24349.0.html).

To answer the OP's question, I think for some it comes down to a sort of "Stockholm syndrome", where the more like-shit their god treats them or others, the more they feel his "infallible" actions are "just",  and thus somehow "deserved".

Even after a month since the shootings, I am trying very hard to keep my anger and disdain in check in dealing with those who try and rationalize a senseless act such as Sandy Hook by spewing such tripe as "It's all part of god's 'divine plan'.". So far, I have not had to deal with this sort of individual in person, but I will no longer "bite my tongue" in regards to my atheistic stance as I have done in the past.

Btw... good to see so many familiar faces. Hope everyone has a good new year.

Jen
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.