Author Topic: Guns again  (Read 14122 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
Re: Guns again
« Reply #377 on: April 11, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
Normally I am not a fan of Piers Morgan, but this loon makes him look adorable. 
http://www.upworthy.com/angry-gun-advocate-loses-it-live-on-cnn-in-the-most-bizarre-interview-ever

Why is this guy speaking for gun owners and not, say, Dante?  I honestly think people who behave like this should not be allowed near guns, scissors, knives, old people, children or glass.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-8
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #378 on: April 14, 2013, 08:04:43 AM »
Technically, I am. But, unfortunately, I'm so devilishly handsome, the powers that be don't want me on tv.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #379 on: April 15, 2013, 08:52:23 AM »
gun fail 13
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/04/12/1199518/-GunFAIL-XIII?showAll=yes

my faves are 46 and 48.  I was surprised that several were not that far from me.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #380 on: April 16, 2013, 07:19:59 PM »
But 49 is a shortcut to the ... heart ... of the problem ...

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-2
« Reply #381 on: April 16, 2013, 08:02:52 PM »
P.S. But I agree it is too easy to go to the shopping center and buy automatic weapon. I know not everyone is ready to own a gun.

I came to this dance late.  You cannot go to the shopping center anywhere in the United States and buy an automatic weapon.  Semi-automatic, yes, if you pass a background check.  It takes a special permit to own an automatic weapon legally in the US.

su27 - How did strict gun laws, and possibly prohibition (I don't know that much about your country's history) work for Europe in the late 1930s?

Odin, Armed King of the Gods

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #382 on: April 16, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
Yeah.  Gun restrictions were the real reason for the Second Reich.   &)
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-2
« Reply #383 on: April 16, 2013, 08:49:23 PM »
Yeah.  Gun restrictions were the real reason for the Second Reich.   &)

Actually, with a little research, it doesn't appear that strict gun control in Germany even existed, much less had anything to do with the rise of the Nazi party.  I withdraw that comment.

I stand by the rest.  Folks should know the actual laws of a country before they try to debate them.

Odin, King of the Gods

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #384 on: April 17, 2013, 04:07:19 AM »
It appears that the easiest thing to do to a populace is to disarm them of their common sense, and the best way to do that is to arm them with as many firearms as possible. More guns = fewer brains.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #385 on: April 17, 2013, 04:15:48 AM »
gun fail 13
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/04/12/1199518/-GunFAIL-XIII?showAll=yes

my faves are 46 and 48.  I was surprised that several were not that far from me.

Re/ 48: How in the hell does a shooting range end up within shooting distance of a school? That's almost too crazy to believe.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #386 on: April 17, 2013, 05:26:35 AM »
I read the linked article.  It doesn't say that they were at a shooting range.  Maybe they were practicing informally.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-2
« Reply #387 on: April 17, 2013, 05:43:58 AM »
It appears that the easiest thing to do to a populace is to disarm them of their common sense, and the best way to do that is to arm them with as many firearms as possible. More guns = fewer brains.

I was considering entering this debate, as a gun owner, recreational shooter, and 2nd Amendment supporter - i.e., the sacrificial Christian among the atheists.  But, with comments like the above, from a Global Mod whatever that is, I can tell the debate is meaningless.

Odin, King of the Gods

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #388 on: April 17, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »
But, with comments like the above, from a Global Mod whatever that is, I can tell the debate is meaningless.

Hi Odin.

If you've read this thread you'd see that both sides of this topic are represented, though it appears the pro-regulation crowd is slightly larger.  At least one moderator is among the pro-gun group. It has been a civil discussion all around and there has been no abuse by staff, as far as I can tell. 

So I wonder where this passive-agressive comment of yours comes from.  Do you fear censorship?  If so, why?  No one here has been censored for their opinions.  Do you fear being banned?  If so, why?  No one here has been banned for their opinions.  Don't look for convenient excuses to not engage.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #389 on: April 17, 2013, 09:40:11 PM »

I was considering entering this debate, as a gun owner, recreational shooter, and 2nd Amendment supporter - i.e., the sacrificial Christian among the atheists.  But, with comments like the above, from a Global Mod whatever that is, I can tell the debate is meaningless.

Odin, King of the Gods

Global Moderators know a lot. They have opinions, too.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #390 on: April 17, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »
A Senate in the Gun Lobby’s Grip by Gabrielle Giffords

Some of the senators who voted against the background-check amendments have met with grieving parents whose children were murdered at Sandy Hook, in Newtown. Some of the senators who voted no have also looked into my eyes as I talked about my experience being shot in the head at point-blank range in suburban Tucson two years ago, and expressed sympathy for the 18 other people shot besides me, 6 of whom died. These senators have heard from their constituents — who polls show overwhelmingly favored expanding background checks. And still these senators decided to do nothing. Shame on them.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #391 on: April 18, 2013, 06:05:01 AM »
Arizona just passed a bill that would require police departments that have that "turn in your gun and get cash" program to resell the guns to gun dealers instead of destroying them like in the past.  Seems kind of dumb to take them in and then put them back on the streets...but then it is Arizona.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #392 on: April 18, 2013, 07:03:13 AM »
Below, a list of the Twitter handles of all of the senators who voted no on the measure, excluding Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who voted against the amendment on procedural grounds. Find their information and let them know how you feel. For a full roll call, click here.
•Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) -- @SenAlexander
•Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) -- @KellyAyotte
•Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) -- @SenJohnBarrasso
•Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.) -- @MaxBaucus
•Sen. Mark Begich (D-Alaska) -- @SenatorBegich
•Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) -- @RoyBlunt
•Sen. John Boozman (R-Ark.) -- @JohnBoozeman
•Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) -- @SenatorBurr
•Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) -- @SaxbyChambliss
•Sen. Dan Coats (R-Ind.) -- @SenDanCoats
•Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) -- @TomCoburn
•Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) -- @SenThadCochran
•Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) -- @SenBobCorker
•Sen. Jon Cornyn (R-Texas) -- @JohnCornyn
•Sen. Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) -- @MikeCrapo
•Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) -- @SenTedCruz
•Sen. Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.) -- @SenatorEnzi
•Sen. Deb Fischer (R-Neb.) -- @SenatorFischer
•Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) -- @JeffFlake
•Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) -- @GrahamBlog
•Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) -- @ChuckGrassley
•Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) -- @SenOrrinHatch
•Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.) -- @SenatorHeitkamp
•Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) -- @SenDeanHeller
•Sen. John Hoeven (R-N.D.) -- @SenJohnHoeven
•Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) -- @jiminhofe
•Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) -- @SenatorIsakson
•Sen. Mike Johanns (R-Neb.) -- @Mike_Johanns
•Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) -- @SenRonJohnson
•Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) -- @SenMikeLee
•Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) -- @McConnellPress
•Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) -- @JerryMoran
•Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) -- @lisamurkowski
•Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) -- @SenRandPaul
•Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) -- @robportman
•Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.) -- @SenMarkPryor
•Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho) -- @SenatorRisch
•Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) -- @SenPatRoberts
•Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) -- @marcorubio
•Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) -- @SenatorTimScott
•Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) -- @SenatorSessions
•Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) -- @SenShelbyPress
•Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) -- @SenJohnThune
•Sen. David Vitter (R-La.) -- @DavidVitter
•Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) -- @SenatorWicker
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17/senate-background-check-bill_n_3104250.html

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #393 on: April 18, 2013, 07:26:45 AM »
Arizona just passed a bill that would require police departments that have that "turn in your gun and get cash" program to resell the guns to gun dealers instead of destroying them like in the past.  Seems kind of dumb to take them in and then put them back on the streets...but then it is Arizona.

I think the idea is twofold: 1) the police department raises money for itself, and 2) due to the background checks, the guns are only resold to non-prohibited persons.

In any event, there are a lot of other jurisdictions that have rules that are far, far worse.  Some, for example, mandate that any firearm that was used in a crime must be destroyed.  It's surprising how many people don't see what the problem is with that.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #394 on: April 18, 2013, 08:02:31 AM »
Some, for example, mandate that any firearm that was used in a crime must be destroyed. 

It's like a tiger that bit a person.  Now it has the taste for humans, or crime in the case of guns.  It has to be put down.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #395 on: April 18, 2013, 08:47:52 AM »
Some, for example, mandate that any firearm that was used in a crime must be destroyed. 

It's like a tiger that bit a person.  Now it has the taste for humans, or crime in the case of guns.  It has to be put down.

It's hard to tell sometimes whether you're being serious or not.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-8
« Reply #396 on: April 18, 2013, 09:00:43 AM »
Some, for example, mandate that any firearm that was used in a crime must be destroyed.  It's surprising how many people don't see what the problem is with that.

I don't see the problem with that. Irrational? Yes. But not a problem. What am I missing?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #397 on: April 18, 2013, 09:08:22 AM »
Some, for example, mandate that any firearm that was used in a crime must be destroyed.  It's surprising how many people don't see what the problem is with that.

I don't see the problem with that. Irrational? Yes. But not a problem. What am I missing?

What you're missing is that law enforcement should first make an effort to identify the rightful owner of the firearm and return the gun to him.  If the owner cannot be identified, that's one thing; if the lawful owner was negligent in some way regarding how the gun was used in the commission of the crime, than that, too, would be one thing.  However, if (for example) it's a gun that was initially lawfully owned, then stolen from the owner's house and subsequently used in a homicide or robbery, then the rightful owner of the gun has the right to have the gun back after all the criminal proceedings and everything are over with.  In such a case, the government has no more right to destroy the gun than the burglar had to steal it in the first place.

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-8
« Reply #398 on: April 18, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »
In such a case, the government has no more right to destroy the gun than the burglar had to steal it in the first place.

I can agree with that. Thanks.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #399 on: April 18, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »
It's hard to tell sometimes whether you're being serious or not.

Once a gun gets accustomed to a life of crime, it just can't go back.  They call that "recidivism".  I've heard of gun rehab programs, but they don't work.  Like those Pray Away the Gay classes.  You put that criminal gun in the hands of a law biding citizen, before he even knows what's going on he's holding up a liquor store.  There's only one thing to be done. 

Kind of like in the bible where it says you have to stone to death the man and the animal that participated in, uh, unnatural acts.  Once a ewe has had some man-love, a ram just won't satisfy.  She'll be out shaking her tail at every shepherd in the field, tempting them into her manger.  Plus, once word gets around to the other shepherds that a ewe puts out, fugetaboutit.  They'll be lining up around the block. 

Not killing it would be crueler by far. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #400 on: April 18, 2013, 07:55:41 PM »
President Obama after the senate stops the gun vote:

Oklahoma senator Tom Coburn on why he voted no:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=177825289&m=177825276
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #401 on: April 18, 2013, 10:07:58 PM »
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=177825289&m=177825276

I heard this today.  I was disappointed with Siegel.  Coburn was full of shit and Siegel let him off the hook.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #402 on: April 19, 2013, 05:11:23 AM »
Classy ...

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #403 on: April 19, 2013, 05:21:35 AM »
Shrill hype from a traitor ...  Why I'm for the Brady Bill

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #404 on: April 19, 2013, 06:03:51 AM »
The state of Maryland just passed some fairly strict new gun control laws that will be going into effect on October 1st.  There's a huge run on firearms right now as a large number of people rush to buy the guns they want before the law goes into effect.  The state police agency responsible for backgrounding (an already intensive process that will become even more so under the new law) is swamped with applications -- they are receiving 800 a day, and even working 21 hours a day, seven days a week, with additional personnel added to the division, they're only able to process 300 a day and are rapidly falling behind.  I bought a Beretta 92A1 on April 6th.  Best guess right now is that I'll probably be able to pick it up sometime around mid or late June.

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-2
« Reply #405 on: April 19, 2013, 07:15:12 AM »
Don't look for convenient excuses to not engage.

How about if I just try to point out the misinformation in the posts, and in the various sides of the debate?

No one can walk into a gun store in the US and walk out with a fully automatic weapon.  Semi-automatic, yes.  It takes a special permit to legally own an automatic weapon in the US.  Even a top Al-Qaeda operative stated that his followers should take advantage of these loopholes and purchase fully automatic weapons.  Can't be done.       http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcfullau.html

I belong to a shooting club, with skeet, trap and sporting clays ranges.  Our membership, about 1,000 total, includes mostly high-tech engineers, managers, computer specialists, numerous PhDs including retired college professors, CPAs, attorneys, etc.  Not exactly Chronos' average profile?

Odin, King of the Gods