Author Topic: An Invitation  (Read 2437 times)

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
An Invitation
« on: December 14, 2012, 12:47:39 PM »
The following message was approved by the current Admins ...

You are invited to register at my forum - The Atheist Think Tank, in case this forum goes down again temporarily or even permanently. At least bookmark it just in case. It may not be your cup of tea but you can at least meet there and use it to make other plans. We even have a few religious nutters from time to time.  ;)

http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:00:43 PM by Chronos »

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: An Invitation
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 01:54:10 PM »
It has been a great substitute... Now an additive.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
Thanks, HAL. Bookmarked.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +463/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »
There's a real live Christian being fed to the lions right now :thumbsup: Go across and register, then bookmark; it's like the hidden room. A lot of old faces and many new ones.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »
There's a real live Christian being fed to the lions right now :thumbsup: Go across and register, then bookmark; it's like the hidden room. A lot of old faces and many new ones.

Oh boy, a real live christian feeding. I'm going to watch. Who is it? Baby Zak? He seems to really hate Hatter.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +463/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:41:19 PM »
Baby zax's a she, and she smote me 5 times! (Battlescars)
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
The following message was approved by the current Admins ...

You are invited to register at my forum - The Atheist Think Tank, in case this forum goes down again temporarily or even permanently. At least bookmark it just in case. It may not be your cup of tea but you can at least meet there and use it to make other plans. We even have a few religious nutters from time to time.  ;)

http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php
what about fucked up haz beens? do you forgive them?

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Baby zax's a she, and she smote me 5 times! (Battlescars)

She definitely seems to love that button.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 02:46:18 PM »
Is it more active now? I spent more time at IGI 'cause it wasn't too active. Talking to the same handful of people isn't fun for me.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »
Would I survive on that site?
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
If I can, anyone can. (Of course they did ban me for life once but it was all just in fun ;))

-Nam

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 11:54:44 PM »
Would I survive on that site?

I think you would be fine Lori.  Its a lot of the same people from around here.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 12:00:34 AM »
not all though....

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Re: An Invitation, or a 5-day ticking time bomb, you choose.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 12:41:29 AM »
To add to the OP, we should consider alternate ways to communicate or discuss topics for this forum while achieving a few other things at the same time (hopefully).

This forum has a habit of breaking down due to a lack of maintenance and care of the owner. For that and a few other reasons we had used the Atheist Think Tank forum as a backup communication system. Due to the upcoming renewal for that URL/forum, the apparent lack of anyone willing to take over/manage that site, and the low traffic it has been getting, it will likely disappear and we need an alternative.

Additionally, on occasion we have complained about the difficulty in attracting new members or keeping old ones. Some people have left because they found the rules here to be too rigid or the discussion too tough or inflexible, and others exercised their time on these topics and wished to expand to new ones. We each have our own reasons for reading and discussing what we like, but we also have reasons to maintain the links to those members we know and understand well. We get where they are coming from, why they say what they say and we know how to weigh the thoughts and opinions. Consequently, we need to enhance our forum communication, upgrade our presence on the web and complement our efforts in discussing WWGHA, reason, rationality, etc.

I think the reddit website provides many ways for us to do this while also freeing us from the lack of system support this site has suffered for years. In order to test how a subreddit may work for us, I have created a new one here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/WWGHA/

The creation of this subreddit is not meant to usurp this forum in any way, but rather allow us to experiment with newer ways of doing things. The WWGHA forum has been around since 2005 (a different domain name was used at that time), and 9 years on the internet is a very long time to keep doing things in the same way. The rest of the internet agrees. Web forums are becoming increasingly less popular ways to communicate and share ideas because other methods like Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Disqus and Reddit are performing those functions better, faster and with more exposure.

With the power of subreddits, we can even make a subreddit that is restricted to forum members here or to other reddit members we like. The subreddit I created happens to be public and available to all. It is merely a starting point, not a completely packaged alternative.

I encourage each of you to make an account on reddit (if you don't already have one), test out how it works, subscribe to the subreddit above, lurk around a bit in other subreddits (if you care to do so). Furthermore, something that I just noticed is that the WWGHA domain expires on January 14, 2014 and who knows if it is setup for automatic renewal? If so, who knows if the attached credit card has been updated with the new expiration date? Does that credit card still exist? This site has gone down before due to a lack of proper renewal and could take weeks to return to service, if at all.

You should at least sign up for reddit and subscribe to the subreddit just in case we cannot communicate here. We may have to bug out at any time.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 12:46:19 AM »
I don't know the first thing about reddit, but I suppose this is as good an excuse as any to try it. Thanks for trying to hold the community together in case of a zombie apocalypse.  ;)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 12:50:56 AM »
This blog post is a good demonstration that there is more to reddit then what you see on the front page:

http://www.refinethemind.com/37-mind-expanding-subreddits/

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 12:54:20 AM »
I actually prefer atheist think tank to this place but for some reason that place runs slow on my phone so I'm here. IGI seems more of a text gaming site than anything else so I rarely go there anymore.

Someone should create a new wwgha with articles, videos, perhaps even blogs with a discussion forum, figure out a way for the topics/comments (through the legalities of copyright issues) be transfered there, or limit it to a beta site, have regular members here (atheist/religious) and a few "guests" build that website, and then open it to the public. Have a Facebook/YouTube page linked for advertising etc.,

I'm on a phone, I can't do much of anything. I could donate money, or write articles (written them before but on "critiquing" not atheism), or what not but that's much as I can do right now.

-Nam

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 01:08:48 AM »
There are separate apps for mobile devices to access and post to Reddit, in particular, whereas forum software doesn't offer much of anything for mobile devices.

I have a Lumia 928 (WindowsPhone) and I use BaconIt to access Reddit.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
Re: An Invitation, or Drop Day January 14, 2014
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 08:19:46 AM »
It's true, I'm going to close my forum, due to inactivity, not to mention I just have too many other things on my plate right now. This domain expires on Jan 14, and I hope for the people who participate here, that the owner renews it. As you can see, the forum software is still running a release candidate version so that's risky as well. It's only a matter of time before it crashes. If it does manage to survive, I'll just hang out here because it's paid for and I don't have to do any work.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »
There are separate apps for mobile devices to access and post to Reddit, in particular, whereas forum software doesn't offer much of anything for mobile devices.

I have a Lumia 928 (WindowsPhone) and I use BaconIt to access Reddit.

I've been to reddit before, it's not my kind of place. I guess I'll look for another "home" or go back to an old one.

-Nam

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
I actually agree with nam on this one. I played around with it yesterday and I find it a royal pain in the ass. I doubt very much that I'd hang out there longer than it would take to find a new forum. In my opinion it is not at all a replacement for a dedicated discussion forum.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 01:04:04 PM »
I actually agree with nam on this one. I played around with it yesterday and I find it a royal pain in the ass. I doubt very much that I'd hang out there longer than it would take to find a new forum. In my opinion it is not at all a replacement for a dedicated discussion forum.

I'm telling you: you have enough people here, if they came together, to create a new website as I outline or similar; and that way they never would have to deal with Brain and his constant absence again.

-Nam

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 01:18:49 PM »
Reddit is a different tool, for sure, but one that doesn't require us to really do anything. No money, no technical know how, just use it -- that's a major selling point. It's also flexible so that if one person leaves the entire community doesn't have to shut down. The installation of forum software is quite the opposite: money, know-how, time, updates, frustrations, bleh.

I'm not sure what you found that was a pain in the ass, but you may be looking at extra features that you don't need or extra locations on reddit that you may never want to visit. Like anything new, it takes a few tries to become accustomed; otherwise, it is a very similar experience.

Simply setting up a forum in a new location will not attract people, just ask HAL. The book and the name sells this place and without either you've got nothing. To try to go to a new domain is to recreate the wheel. I'm only suggesting that we get new tires.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 01:31:37 PM »
Reddit is a different tool, for sure, but one that doesn't require us to really do anything. No money, no technical know how, just use it -- that's a major selling point. It's also flexible so that if one person leaves the entire community doesn't have to shut down. The installation of forum software is quite the opposite: money, know-how, time, updates, frustrations, bleh.

I'm not sure what you found that was a pain in the ass, but you may be looking at extra features that you don't need or extra locations on reddit that you may never want to visit. Like anything new, it takes a few tries to become accustomed; otherwise, it is a very similar experience.

Simply setting up a forum in a new location will not attract people, just ask HAL. The book and the name sells this place and without either you've got nothing. To try to go to a new domain is to recreate the wheel. I'm only suggesting that we get new tires.

There are many websites like reddit but it's not a "community" in the sense that this place is, or other places like it.

I think Hal's place failed for two main reasons, and Hal can correct me: 1. Most of the members there came from here. When this website crashed in 2008, new websites popped up (att, igi, happyatheist[1]) and they ran quite well, some still do but then wwgha came back online and most came back here 2. Hal closed att in 2011 which made his "regulars" go somewhere else and when he reopened it no one really came back. I also think a couple of other things may have attributed but I think those are the two main things.

-Nam
 1. I think

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
What nam said about community.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »
What nam said about community.

I have allpoetry.com to fall back on, the boards there have drastically changed over the years (probably why I went looking for another place) but it's a huge website and I still know many there, some miss me which I find sad based on the type of guy I am or perhaps they miss my critiques rather than me--who knows? But some here may not have a "community" to fall back on and, it seems, those who should care: don't. Which is also sad.

-Nam

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 03:35:14 PM »
There are many websites like reddit but it's not a "community" in the sense that this place is, or other places like it.
I have allpoetry.com to fall back on, the boards there have drastically changed over the years (probably why I went looking for another place) but it's a huge website and I still know many there

Many people do not think of a web forum as a community, others ridicule Facebook as not being a community. Others find it impossible to think of NYC as a community and consider a place like Ottumwa, Iowa to be a true community. You define community as you see fit where you need it. As you have pointed out, even a huge website can be a community. If reddit isn't for you, that's fine. Thousands of others find it works well for them and those same people would feel walled-in with a forum like this.

My view is that this domain is a sinking ship and I'm tossing down an inflatable raft for people to ride back to shore to find Gilligan or a genie in a bottle, wherever that may be. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade ...

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 03:52:15 PM »
This domain might auto-renew on a saved credit card, but it also might not. You got a few days before you find out.

I think Hal's place failed for two main reasons, and Hal can correct me: 1. Most of the members there came from here. When this website crashed in 2008, new websites popped up (att, igi, happyatheist[1]) and they ran quite well, some still do but then wwgha came back online and most came back here 2. Hal closed att in 2011 which made his "regulars" go somewhere else and when he reopened it no one really came back. I also think a couple of other things may have attributed but I think those are the two main things.
 1. I think

Pretty much right.

Thing is, there's so much more on the Internets now than in 2008, people have so many more choices of where to go. Even the people who run the SMF forum say downloads of SMF are down. There's FB, Twitter, Reddit, on and on, and so many forums it's crazy. Plus I've been dealing with my mother's health since last Aug and I haven't had any desire to post on my own forum. That's pretty bad. I also have several new hobbies too and I just don't have time for the forum any more. I also have nothing new to say, I'm just spent. I need to just close it soon and move on.

I plan to come here from time to time, because I have no responsibilities here and it won't cost me anything, but it won't be to add anything new. It'll be purely entertainment - nothing more.

So if anyone has any posts they want to copy from ATT, I'd suggest you go look them up before it's gone forever. This time there will be no resurrection of ATT.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 04:30:04 PM »
This domain might auto-renew on a saved credit card, but it also might not. You got a few days before you find out.

1. I think

Pretty much right.

Thing is, there's so much more on the Internets now than in 2008, people have so many more choices of where to go. Even the people who run the SMF forum say downloads of SMF are down. There's FB, Twitter, Reddit, on and on, and so many forums it's crazy. Plus I've been dealing with my mother's health since last Aug and I haven't had any desire to post on my own forum. That's pretty bad. I also have several new hobbies too and I just don't have time for the forum any more. I also have nothing new to say, I'm just spent. I need to just close it soon and move on.

I plan to come here from time to time, because I have no responsibilities here and it won't cost me anything, but it won't be to add anything new. It'll be purely entertainment - nothing more.

So if anyone has any posts they want to copy from ATT, I'd suggest you go look them up before it's gone forever. This time there will be no resurrection of ATT.

Too bad you can't hand it over to Kimberly, perhaps find a tech guy to maintain it, or you. Once I got back on a PC I was going to go back but my phone just runs slow there. IGI, either but as I stated above: that seems more like a "gaming" site with all the "on-going" gamelike topics they have. Take that away, and I bet that place would be more like att now.

-Nam
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:31:36 PM by Nam »