Author Topic: the forum problem  (Read 3500 times)

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: the forum problem
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
I am not giving none any money.

-Nam
who me?

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2012, 02:35:03 PM »
The only problem with this site is that it's owned by a person who doesn't give a shit about it anymore. Because if he did, he'd take care of it. And it seems he doesn't even acknowledge the people who are trying to take care of it.
-Nam

Maybe he got saved and washed in the blood of Jebus.
He doesn't want this site any more and doesn't want anybody else to
blaspheme.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2012, 04:17:42 AM »
I think the real advntage would come from somehow relating the new site to WWGHA

Like I said before, this is the issue.  If all we are doing is setting up atheistsite#582, then there seems little point.  The new site will be yet another random group that splintered from WWGHA and will thrive or founder as all the others have done, but its chief problem will be that there is not the link to the main website: THAT is where the vast bulk of the non-atheist traffic comes from, and without the regular supply of Christians, who are we going to rail against?   ;D

Here is my suggestion, taking into account the possible legal issues......

1) We start a new forum - my preference is for something like friendsofwwgha
2) The Admins lock this forum with the previous "awaiting update" message - and a link to the new forum.
3) We run the new forum exactly like this one - still Brain's baby, still linked to the website, the only change in effect is that we are in control of the updates and functionality.

4) Marshall will either continue to ignore it all, in which case no problem, or he will get in touch and either resolve the problems here, or tell us to shut down - either way, we will have a resolution, and I have no concerns over the legal issues if we shut down immediately on first contact as requested.

As I've said before, I have neither the time nor the skills to set up or Admin a site like this.  Thanks to Hal though for the costings - yes, I'll cover the lot if we're doing the above (or similar).  Quite happy to buy the car and then throw the keys at someone, provided someone tells me what dealer to use and what model to buy, etc.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2012, 06:09:07 AM »
How about a Prius.  Better gas mileage.  Don't know if we can all get in it.  We may need the Prius V.

That sounds like a very reasonable idea.  I like it.  Would the mail bag still work or would someone be able to retrieve it now and again and bring it to the new site?  The name sounds good also.  I guess "somewhat acquainted with WWGHA" is a little long.

When do we move.  I will have to start getting boxes from the grocery store to pack.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2012, 07:22:57 AM »

2) The Admins lock this forum with the previous "awaiting update" message - and a link to the new forum.
3) We run the new forum exactly like this one - still Brain's baby, still linked to the website, the only change in effect is that we are in control of the updates and functionality.

Exactly. It's a win-win situation. Either you capture the entire community at a new forum, or you get this one updated for the future. You really can't lose.

Look at it this way, if spending $40 gets Brain to pay attention and fix your house, then it will have been worth it, and you'll still have a well-known place to go to in the event this one crashes. The longer you wait the more chance there is to lose everybody.

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »
I think the real advntage would come from somehow relating the new site to WWGHA

Being ignorant to all of the intracacies of the internet, I have a question.

If the site were named "friendsofwwgha", would a search for wwgha bring it up?
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2012, 08:42:01 AM »
WWGHA - "The Next Generation"

WWGHA - survivors

WWGHA - 2.0
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2012, 08:43:08 AM »

Being ignorant to all of the intracacies of the internet, I have a question.

If the site were named "friendsofwwgha", would a search for wwgha bring it up?

Well, I just looked for "The Earth", and "Friends of the Earth" was third on the list!   ;D

Seriously though, one benefit of "friendsof...." is that it will make clear we're not trying to run away with the name - just to keep things operating smoothly.

I'm not technical enough on forum software to be able to pick a provider that offers the right level of support.  I'll pay it (he said again), but I can't make the right choices. 
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »
Yes, but you broke the words up. So the word earth is what was searched for.
That would not be the case in my original question.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2012, 09:14:44 AM »
Yes, but you broke the words up. So the word earth is what was searched for.

True - "theearth" gets FotE as 6th hit.

Its something we'll not know for sure until it's done, I guess.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2012, 10:15:53 AM »

Like I said before, this is the issue.  If all we are doing is setting up atheistsite#582, then there seems little point.  The new site will be yet another random group that splintered from WWGHA and will thrive or founder as all the others have done, but its chief problem will be that there is not the link to the main website: THAT is where the vast bulk of the non-atheist traffic comes from, and without the regular supply of Christians, who are we going to rail against?   ;D

4) Marshall will either continue to ignore it all, in which case no problem, or he will get in touch and either resolve the problems here, or tell us to shut down - either way, we will have a resolution, and I have no concerns over the legal issues if we shut down immediately on first contact as requested.

As I've said before, I have neither the time nor the skills to set up or Admin a site like this.  Thanks to Hal though for the costings - yes, I'll cover the lot if we're doing the above (or similar).  Quite happy to buy the car and then throw the keys at someone, provided someone tells me what dealer to use and what model to buy, etc.
well. here is an idea.
as ridiculous as it sounds...
I was thinking maybe something like Christian Apologetics Ministry Run by Atheists and Consulted by Christians could be the main page.
and then pages and pages of useless.. I mean Christian apologetics "resources"...
anyways...
it might get the traffic moreso than just "look you are an idiot for perpetrating your bullshit onto society and if you don't perpetrate your stupid shit well chances are you are still fucked up: join the forum!"
It would take some effort and maybe if Christians weren't consulted it would work.
the ez-hosting whatever site that HAL linked seemed reasonable.
I would prefer a virtual private server if it were up to me though, but that isn't mandatory... I can live with just webspace..
the guy wants 10k for whygodwhy.com
I can offer 3k for it, but I think that offer will be rejected.
I don't know.
I probably already pissed him off with my last email. who knows.. but I haven't received a 2nd correspondence from him.
anyways that is what I am thinking.
and like I said it might get more interest that just "we hate your ideas you idiots" site.
and Nam, you are a very loving and generous individual and I don't think it is mandatory that you express your loving and generous nature, I still love you....
hehehe
plus the paypal account hasn't been created.
have a nice day.

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »

I was wondering whether the finalized plan is put in place for the future of this site?  Or has Marshall Brain quietly updated the site?   
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »
I was wondering whether the finalized plan is put in place for the future of this site?  Or has Marshall Brain quietly updated the site?

Hi shnozzola,

Nobody is doing anything about it. As far as I can tell members don't care all that much about the community or they would do something about it by starting their own forum. I've tried to push and prod them along but the thread just died out till you posted. They've had ample warning that the site owner doesn't care about it, so next time it goes belly-up they won't have anyone to blame when they get a blank screen or the like.

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2012, 10:00:04 PM »
Or has Marshall Brain quietly updated the site?
If you look to the bottom of the site, you'll see, "Powered by SMF 2.0 RC4."  That's the beta version of SMF 2.0.  When that switches to the full 2.0 or later, it means the forum software has been updated.  Current version is 2.0.3.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2013, 06:47:20 PM »
Alright.  I'm not the person to do much, there are certainly many others better qualified, but I do have the "care" factor.  For all the rationality we claim, it would be stupid to lose this forum because  an uninterested owner doesn't update it.  After the holidays are over, we need to push this.

HAL's questions:
1. Which hosting company and what is the domain name going to be?
   I vote we use the hosting company HAL now uses.  I like Pianodwarf's  idea of WWGHA.com as a domain   name. If it stirs up MB, good.     

2. How do we direct members to the new forum?
   Link on the "down for maintenance"  page.

3. What would be the design of the new forum - such as the theme, colors, boards, purpose, and so on.
   For now, exactly as it is. 
   -Anfauglir's and HAL's ideas above seem the best, with at least a direction to an interim forum so WWGHA keeps the  large amount of traffic and the members.  I vote Anfauglir pays and we send money to him. 
   -Will the front page remain indefinitely without a working forum?   If it disappears, what do we do?
   -How is the Old forum kept - does MB own that database also?
   -if we are worried about MB, we should email and send a letter with our detailed intentions.

Hopefully admin has plans in place for all of this and I have no reason for concern.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:50:15 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2013, 07:08:22 PM »
I'm just seeing this thread for the first time. I agree that we should move ahead. We have the money. We have the technical know-how and volunteers to do the port to a new site. It sounds like all we're waiting for is momentum and/or someone to take the helm and bring together all the resources. Have the admins and mods discussed this behind the scenes? Are they all willing to move over to a new site?

I'm certainly willing to move, and highly approve of putting a pointer in place to guide people to the new forum.

Will we lose all the current threads? Or will we be starting totally from scratch?

I agree with HAL that time is of the essence.

I don't know how I can help. I have no money, no SMF experience, and no hosting suggestions. But, if there's a way I can help, I will. For now, I think friendsofwwgha or some varient sounds like a good plan to me.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2013, 11:13:42 PM »
Well, to have a safe harbor, we could use a Google Community (the successor for Google Groups). You can find one for WWGHA here
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/117800767173909228802

We could use the Google Community as a blog or chat area for the forum, even if we don't wish to use it for serious discussions. We can even do audio/video hangouts with theists. Wouldn't that be a hoot?!

Of course, you need a Gmail account to become a member, but you can create a Gmail account easily.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.