Author Topic: Derren Brown & The Placebo Effect  (Read 891 times)

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
Derren Brown & The Placebo Effect
« on: December 14, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
Whilst the forum was down there was some really interesting stuff on TV. I don't know how well known Derren Brown is outside of the UK, but he's an atheist who performs some pretty awesome tricks, he is highly knowledgeable in the world of psychology and exploits it for his profession. He also performs experiments on his TV shows, for example, setting up an experiment to prove it's possible to brainwash somebody into an assassin without the assassin being aware that they are one. He did a couple of 2 part shows that were really interesting, the first was to convince somebody the zombie apocalypse was really happening to inspire some key character improvements.

The other was 2 episodes to do with the power of the placebo effect, the first helping people overcome some anxiety disorders and the second, an attempt to explain how God works as a placebo effect and then giving an atheist a religious experience. It was an interesting program to watch. I don't know if these links work outside of the UK, but they're worth watching:

Apocalypse - Part 1
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-the-specials/episode-guide/series-14/episode-1
Apocalypse - Part 2
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-the-specials/episode-guide/series-14/episode-2
Fear and Faith - Part 1
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-the-specials/episode-guide/series-14/episode-3
Fear and Faith - Part 2
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-the-specials/episode-guide/series-14/episode-4
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +459/-15
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: Derren Brown & The Placebo Effect
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 12:25:34 PM »
I've just watched the first 12 minutes of the third video - no one should miss this.

If there is any doubt that miracles are the placebo of the past, this will dispel it.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:25:23 PM »
not viewable in Oz bugger it.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +685/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
Sadly not available in the US either. Anyone got a placebo for me to make up for it?
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »
The placebo effect is very interesting.  Whenever I start a new  medication it starts to work immediately before it is even physically in my system.  This is just because my mind is hopeful that the new med will actually help me.  Unfortunanately it wears off when the med is not really effective.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
  • Making atheists cry since 1991
    • PURE TRUTH
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 03:56:39 PM »
Not viewable in Portugal. :P
Presuppositionalism wins everytime

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

Making atheists cry since 1991

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 04:55:06 AM »
There's 4oD on YouTube, but I don't know if it's a channel viewable only inside the UK as well, but it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work, I suspect it'll be out on DVD one day.

http://www.youtube.com/user/4oDEntertainment/videos?query=Derren+brown

Mainly, it was interesting to see how effective placebos can actually be, but then Derren Brown is very good in using the power of suggestion and in using suggestion he was successful in giving an atheist a religious experience, the experiments are controlled of course and as with any psychological experiments he always debriefs his subjects and makes sure the ethical requirements are met and that people's psychological wellbeing remains in tact.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
the placebo ones were very interesting. It is only a shame we couldn't use them for real.

If you can't view these outwith the UK, you could try looking for a UK proxy server. That way the website thinks you are in the UK.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +459/-15
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »
I hope the proxy server works - I've now had several hours of excellent, informative and entertaining viewing.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce