Author Topic: Obama tweet  (Read 336 times)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
Obama tweet
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:08:26 AM »
Could someone who's better versed in the grammatical side of the English language have a look at this ... it seems ... off

Quote from: @BarackObama
RT if you agree: Mitt Romney’s severely conservative views are a disaster for women that we can’t afford in the White House.

Isn't he saying that there are women we can't afford in the White House and that Romney's views are a disaster for them?  :?

Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Obama tweet
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 06:52:57 AM »
Mitt Romney's views are a disaster for women.
We can't afford to have those views in the White House.
Don't vote for Mitt Romney.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 06:54:16 AM »
I think you are right. Odd sentence structure.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +467/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:12:26 AM »
Could someone who's better versed in the grammatical side of the English language have a look at this ... it seems ... off

RT if you agree: Mitt Romney’s severely conservative views are a disaster for women that we can’t afford in the White House.

Isn't he saying that there are women we can't afford in the White House and that Romney's views are a disaster for them?  :?
On a proper interpretation of the sentence as written, because the rule is that the subordinate clause qualifies the closest noun (noun phrase), Obama is saying "we can't afford women in the White House.", which, bearing his battle for candidacy against Hillary Clinton - he believes to be true.

Well, he's got my vote ; ) (They should be in the kitchen looking after children and not having abortions.)
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline relativetruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:23:04 AM »

He could also be saying.
If there are women which we can't afford in the White House, then those women will be cut with Romney's budget [along with large proportions of the 47%]
God(s) exist and are imaginary

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:29:15 AM »
I can't afford the woman in my house, couldn't begin to imagine how much it would cost to keep one in the White House.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 07:49:10 AM »
I anit got no idea.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 10:46:29 AM »
Romney and women in the white house, hmm. I can only think of all the hot water they will use showering. Romney's 5 other wives that will appear Jan first.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »
I agree with Jetson. Also, to what Tero states: I take long showers but only 'cause I like how it feels against my skin.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 11:17:41 AM »
I would have gone for:

"RT if you agree: Mitt Romney’s severely conservative views are a disaster for women, which we can’t afford in the White House."

Because I feel there should be another clause because there's three statements.
Clause 1: RT if you agree
Clause 2: Mitt Romney's severely conservative views are a disaster for women
Clause 3: Which we can't afford in the White House.

Even then I think there room for some ambiguity because there's two things in that second clause, Romney's views and women, so which of the two can't we afford? Women or Romney's views. So maybe add a few more words to clear it up:
"RT if you agree: Mitt Romney's severely conservative view are a disaster for women and these are views we can't afford in the White House."

Butt I am willing to accept that we're talking about Twitter here and even the President is limited for words. Saying that, it'd be very difficult for somebody to argue that Obama is saying Romney's views are a disaster for women and Obama thinks we can't afford women in the White House.

If you're using 'that' you're actually reducing it to 2 clauses, which to me it would suggest that grammatically these views are only a disaster for women we can't afford in the white house, so in turn that means for women they can afford in the white house then Romney's views aren't a disaster. That is probably why it reads as being awkward.

However, a conservative who's a grammar Nazi would probably like to have fun with this one. Also, it's hard to think of me as somebody who's knowledgable about grmmar for somebody who makes so many mislakes in his posts. ;)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 11:24:18 AM »
Seppuku,

You think too much.

-Nam

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 11:31:57 AM »
Yeah, I know, it's one of my flaws. Funnily enough it's one of the reasons Cash Converters didn't give me a job at the end of their trial period. :P They said I'd be better off in forensics.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »
As signified by use of the relative pronoun 'that', it represents a subordinate clause and clearly refers to either the object ("a disaster for women") or the subject ("Mitt Romney's severely conservative views") of the sentence.  Either we cannot afford to have a disaster for women in the White House, or we cannot afford to have Mitt Romney's severely conservative views in the White House.  However, it cannot refer to women by itself, because 'for' is a conjunction and thus joins 'disaster' and 'women' as a single unit in the sentence.

By the way, "RT if you agree" does not change anything in the sentence which comes after the colon.  So it does not make a difference as far as the sentence's grammatical structure.  Using a colon or even a semicolon as a separator is more than sufficient to signify that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:52:31 AM by jaimehlers »

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »
I think twitter is a crime against literacy.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 12:22:50 PM »
I never been there. All I can imagine is a whole bunch of preteens and teens damaging the English language. Would give me nightmares.

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:32:50 PM by Nam »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
Romney and women in the white house, hmm. I can only think of all the hot water they will use showering. Romney's 5 other wives that will appear Jan first.
Mitt Romney Style ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
I think twitter is a crime against literacy.

Was one of my thoughts and Seppuku covered it in his post. The use of informal elctronic digitail devices will be changing languages, thought processes and other things I haven't thought of yet. Maybe I should say already changed.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 05:20:18 PM »
I think that Twitter is a crime against literacy if you let it be and to be honest I think the damage was already done before people started tweeting. There's a type of writing called microfiction, which I used to like doing when I was at uni, but my limit would be 100 to 200 words, limiting yourself like that can make you creative and it can have powerful results. There's some folks out there who challenge themselves by using tweets, yes, it's very short and simple stuff, but I guess it's like writing a Haiku, playing with words. I remember reading in a writing magazine about a challenge where people would have to pick a classic novel and sum up the plot in the best way possible in a tweet and have folks work out which novel it is - there were some clever attempts IIRC.[1]

However, it's not really Twitter's usage there, still, it might be something interesting to try for Twitterers. ;) But I am just saying, there's room to try and be clever with Twitter, even if people aren't.

Also, I wouldn't blame technology, but education itself and maybe apathy. 'Txt' is really only for text messages, though I think these days the need to do it is thinned out, with touch phones with full keyboards and the size of text messages is not so much a problem anymore. These days I tend to write in full sentences on my phone. When it comes to arguments on the use of language, I tend to side with Stephen Fry, because I think he makes very good points about it. Hence I feel comfortable with letting myself make so many mistakes on the internet - in any formal writing, it's completely different: anything I've published, stuff I've written when I was at Uni, my novel (though a work in progress), any personal projects and my CV/Resume are all grammatically correct.

Coming back round to Twitter, it's very difficult to get your message across and be grammatically correct at the same time. Writers get to be clever because they get to lie and say their errors are down to style whilst the President doesn't get the same privilege. :P
 1. 50 Shades of Grey would be easy: Need More Duracell Batteries

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 10:13:24 PM »

Perhaps the tweeter is referring to the many wives a Mormon would bring to The White House.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 10:31:40 PM »
I can picture it now:

ROMNEY HOSTS FIRST WHITE HOUSE ORGY; FEATURING THE FIRST LADIES -- COME ONE CUM EVERYONE!

:?

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:33:37 PM by Nam »