Author Topic: I appreciate where you're coming from... [#675]  (Read 1021 times)

Offline DL

I appreciate where you're coming from... [#675]
« on: November 13, 2008, 07:49:31 PM »
Hi there,

I came across your vids on youtube, and appreciated the time you took to explain clearly where you're coming from.

I'm curious as to what prompted you to start asking these questions, and develop the site and such.  Obviously, lots of other folks feel as you do, and have the same questions, but they don't take the time to go as far with it as you have.

If you get a moment, give me a quick shout.  I'm interested to know more.

Take care and have a great day!

[name]

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
Re: I appreciate where you're coming from... [#675]
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 07:54:56 PM »
Why not drop by the forums?  The actual creator of the videos won't stop in, but you'll get more than a quick shout from other members.
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:13:10 PM »
You won't get to directly talk to the person who make's the videos in here and you probably will never get to talk with the website owners/creators/programmers/whatever.

But why not stop by and participate in the forum?  It's free, no hassle,  and we can probably answer quite a bit of your questions, either about the site or our own personal views on religion and atheism.

Come and join us.  ;D
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline oneking

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 04:48:33 PM »
It's me, again.  The guy that asked the question that you're all responding to.  I guess I'm just interested in knowing what prompted this forum, and why the original creator is so elusive.  I don't know how well I would fit in, but there ya go.  What say you?

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 05:07:34 PM »
What say I?  Simple answers I guess:

It's me, again.  The guy that asked the question that you're all responding to.

First of all, welcome to the forum!  ;D Glad to have you with us.

I guess I'm just interested in knowing what prompted this forum

Just to ask a range of questions, from simple to complex, about the existence or non-existence of any deity, be deity or deities known or unknown.  It gets the theist wondering... and mainly what I want them to think about is why exactly they believe in the deity they believe in.  Out of the thousands upon thousands of gods and goddesses that have been created, why the god(s) you believe in?  From my standing as an atheist there is a lack of evidence for any god or goddess, or for that matter, anything supernatural.

Just for reference, here's a list of all the gods that have been created by man... all of which I deny exist, based upon lack of evidence.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZVRpqm0Cl0[/youtube]

If you are a theist, which ones do you not believe in?

and why the original creator is so elusive

*IF* there is/was a creator.  Or are you referencing the creator of the videos?

I don't know how well I would fit in, but there ya go

I've been around here long enough to know that there are all kinds of people in here.  Differing nations, cultures, religions... it's just a big mix.  Trust me, there's someone in here that shares your views.

Offline oneking

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 05:16:37 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  Yes, I was referring to the "creator" as the creator of the videos.  I was just curious as to what would prompt someone to go so far as to create the youtube videos and devote so much time to this topic.  It's interesting to me, that one's feelings would run so deep on this issue.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »
It's the same way that some are passionate about music, art, science, or any other topic.  Religion is undeniably a powerful force in any region of the world.  Right here in our country (the U.S. if you're not here) we have large religious foundations that fund government officials, they build schools, churches, and are a large force in every section of this country.  My personal viewpoint (and I can only speak for myself) is that while religion can be a great motivator and a great ideal of hope and goodwill, many times it leads to nothing but corruption, bigotry, and prejudice.

Some people have strong feelings to Christianity and pursue that their whole life.  Me, I have strong feelings that religion (collectively, not privately) is a bad thing.  I've seen to many theists who believe complete lies formed by church leaders to dilute scientific fact.

I am completely fine with religion being kept where it belongs... in churches, homes, and other places of religious worship.  But when that religion starts impeding the way I live, starts invading my schools and government, and most importantly, impedes the advance of science and medicine, that's where I draw the line.

I'm fine with my friends and family being religious (all are Christians, mostly baptist or lutheran) and they are alright with me being an atheist.  But I'm not alright with some of the lunatic religious leaders.

Offline oneking

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 05:34:34 PM »
I can dig it.  So, it's basically a feeling that things are getting out of hand, and that religious people are trying to control too much of the world around you, having nothing but their own personal beliefs as their justification.  Your passion lies in trying to get them to either produce the goods or back off, is that the idea?

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »
^ that's about as close and as quick as any theist has ever gotten it.

Are you sticking around, to help us out with that?

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »
You got it.  My mantra is basically, "You can live your life how you want it, but don't interfere with my life."  And when you start interfering with others lives (religious opposition to stem cells for instance) that is where I draw the line and want to see religion back off.

Too many people have died for their religious beliefs or the religious beliefs of others.  Suicidal religious cults, 9/11, the bombings in England, numerous embassy bombing, several wars in the middle ages, and the list could go on and on.

In today's times for instance, Proposition 8 passed in California and several Christian organizations always raise a voice when any new atheist magazine, talk radio, news channel, or advertising gets put up.  On Prop. 8, I'm not looking for any debate on homosexuality yadda, yadda, yadda.  Everyone has their own opinion of it.  However, one only needs to look at the major opponent of the proposition... churches and religious leaders.  And did voters vote "yes" on the ballot because they felt homosexuality was immoral...yes.  And why?  Because a book and a religious leader somewhere told them that homosexual men and women are "vile" or whatever.

Recently new billboards have been funded in Denver and London (and Philadelphia, I believe) and Christians all over have raised a stern voice outwardly objecting the billboards.  And yet, not too many atheists raise a stern voice when we're driving and see a billboard with scripture or a picture of Jesus.  Freedom of expression applies to *all* individuals... not just the majority.

And furthermore, not enough good and honest Christians are standing up to the zealots and saying, "Stop.  That's enough and we're sick of the bigotry and immoralness."  Good Christians are outnumbered by the fanatics that overshadow them.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:58:13 PM by Irish »

Offline oneking

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 06:01:33 PM »
Well, I don't know how helpful I can be.  I'm just a dj trying to make a living, who enjoys kicking around topics more interesting than Lindsay Lohan's sexual preferences.

For what it's worth, I think atheists are unjustly hassled and talked down to, and if I see any of that going on around here, I certainly won't be silent about it.  So, in that sense, I can try and be helpful, I suppose.  :)

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 06:10:16 PM »
Who are you and where did you come from?!?  :o I was expecting the same-old-same-old with another Christian yelling at how I'm evil, corrupt, Satan, gay, immoral, or my favorite, "You're going to Hell!"

You get it and it's rather nice.  I'm not out to destroy religion, I just want to see some checks and balances.  You should definitely stick around.  Snoop around the mailbag and you'll see what I'm talking about.  We get all sorts of ranting and raving people commanding us to go to hell.  You are definitely a relief.

Offline oneking

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 06:48:53 PM »
Well, as you get older, you mellow out.  Plus the wives teach us men a thing or two about thinking before we speak.  I guess that's why I am the way I am.  From my observation, emotions play too much a part in what folks believe, politically or religiously or whatever.  As a result, folks often make up their minds about something because of what their parents believed, or how they were treated by a particular faith or political party.  Then, AFTER they've chosen their side, they go back and cherry pick the right arguments that support their position.

To me, this is backwards.  If folks can put emotions and ego aside, they can learn a lot, as they open-mindedly share ideas.  The older I get, the more I realize how LITTLE I really KNOW.  A wise man once said, "When a person tells you they're thinking, they're really just rearranging their prejudices."  There's a LOT of truth, there.  So I just try to remain a STUDENT and learn from everybody, and then pass on the things that I feel are helpful to others who are trying to learn like I am.  If those ideas have merit, they'll stand on their own.  I no longer have the energy to "convince" anybody of anything.