Author Topic: people like u [#685]  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
Re: people like u [#685]
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 06:54:06 PM »
If you have a tongue for good taste than its in for a rude and bitter awakening as long as your on this site.

I think that's what's called "the Internet". ;)

It's probably a rude awakening for anyone who particularly cherishes their self-identification with certain conceptions of reality, though. One of the primary rules here is that nothing is sacred (except the forum rules). As long as you understand that and don't confuse attacks on your ideas with attacks on your person (difficult to do, particularly when people strongly identify with their conceptions of reality) you'll get along fine. :)
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 07:03:51 PM »
I'm beginning to see that.  But thanks for the warning, my friend.  I shall proceed with caution.   ;)
This is a pretty good starting point.
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?action=rules;sa=additional

One thing that helps to remember is that if you are on the forum here for any length of time you will begin to see that the same arguments get presented over and over again.  A quick browse of the mailbad shows you that the christians that write into the forum tend to go through the same thought processess, and that while it's new and original for them, most of us have seen it all a dozen times.

My personal advice is to stick to topics that do not center or conflict directly with your viewpoints while you get a feel for things.
Alternatively you can jump right in.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline oneking

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 07:43:35 PM »
Nah, I like your take, and I think I will follow your advice.  Besides, I'm more inquisitive than militant.  The former is fun, and you learn a lot, and once in a while, so do others.  The latter is frankly boring, often useless, and makes it harder to then shut off the computer and be sexy with my wife.  And that's not fair to her, now is it? ;)