Author Topic: Mourdock says pregnancy from rape is "something that God intended to happen"  (Read 3831 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
You know what Nam, I didn't back peddle..

You did by saying I was incorrect about "rape" then mentioning to Graybeard that you agree with him who in turn agrees with me that rape can be non-violent (and all the other things I listed as being rape; though I don't know if Graybeard agrees with those but you seemed to).

but you are full of shit..

Am I?

you keep your blinders on..

What "blinders"?

it seems to serve you well..nothing you just posted eradicated what I said..

It didn't?

in fact it made you look like the uneducated asshole you are.

I would watch your step.

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:18:14 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
watch my step? How's that?

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Just for my own curiosity Nam..have you ever been raped?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
madeline,

Does one need to be raped to know anything about the subject? It seems to be what you're saying. It also implies that you, yourself, have been raped and in being raped, if you have, you've become an authority figure on the subject.

Do you happen to be related to GamerGirl (aka Lillium)?

You two sound so much alike.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Honestly Nam you are really going to ask that question? It just makes you look stupid. I am in no means an authority on the subject but I object to you depiction of "mary" being raped by a fictional god to what women in the real world might be objected to. I think you spend too much time delving into the past that you are way out of touch with reality.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
Honestly Nam you are really going to ask that question?

Stupid question since I already asked it.

It just makes you look stupid.

If you say so.

I am in no means an authority on the subject

It seems in this topic you make yourself out to be just that. It's one thing to disagree with someone, it's a whole other thing to berate that person for their opinion. Which, you're not berating only me but the other person who agreed with me, and those with the same opinion on this website or others.

If your whole ranting is to belittle or berate me, you're failing. You have attacked me once (in my eyes) and I gave you a warning. If you keep going down this road you're going to find out why people call me an "asshole". You don't know but you'll find out.

but I object to you depiction of "mary" being raped by a fictional god to what women in the real world might be objected to.

You have a right to that opinion. But you made that comparison, not me.

If you actually read what you wrote and compare it to what I wrote you'll see: you made the comparison.

You disagreed with my opinion. Then you mumbled on about how, "Was it violent, was there force,?" etc., and I replied with, "Rape doesn't have to be just those things." I explained my point-of-view, and even cited a dictionary's definition and then that's when you began to berate me. Stating things about me being wrong, the dictionary being wrong, and then Graybeard steps in and points out that rape can be non-violent and then you agree with him (using my terms) but keep on berating me in the process.

It's one thing to disagree with one's opinion, it's another to do what you did.

You lost the argument when you not only began to berate me because of my opinion, and thinking that the relevance only applied to your point-of-view but then also when you attacked my "education".

If you still wish to go down this road: you'll find out how "uneducated" I can get.

I think you spend too much time delving into the past that you are way out of touch with reality.

Religion is the past, therefore this website caters to it.

-Nam

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
I know why people call you an asshole, I don't need your warning but thanks anyway.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
i love how you ignore everything else I said; you've done that twice already.

-Nam

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
And I love how you think you are an authority on everything..just because I am new to posting does not mean I am new to this board..your opinion means nothing to me. I'm sure someone made a spelling error somewhere..quick point it out to them so you can feel superior.. :o

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
You smited the same comment twice? That's just funny, and shows how sensitive you are. I really hope now you say something to get me to respond to you as I did at ATT. That'll be fun. I can't wait.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
Oh, and I never stated or implied "I am an authority" on anything. That's your schtick, not mine.

-Nam

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
What ever you say my pet..love you bunches..I put on my red lipstick just for you  :-*

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
If I may digress from the OP for a moment, I'd like to address the very clear interpersonal issues that have taken over this thread.

I'd like to point out that Madeline is a new arrival, who started a thread talking about her isolation as an atheist in a new, more conservative state.  I assume that she is here looking for comradely.  I see that as a valid use of this forum. 

She later started a thread about this being a difficult forum to join.  Although I don't know the events that preceded that thread, I have to say that I'm really taken aback by the way that Nam attacked her in that thread, and is attacking her here.

I would like to give a little heads up to the male majority on this forum.  Women generally don't appreciate men lecturing them on the topic of rape.  We don't like it when our legislators do it, and we don't like it when members of special interest communities do it.  I know that men and boys are sometimes rape victims too.  But women tend to have a much more emotional response to the topic because statistically we are much more vulnerable.  All of us.  All the time.  And pregnancy from rape is primarily a woman's concern.  That is why we don't like men making laws about pregnancy and rape. 

So Nam, respectfully, could you lighten up on Madeline? 

And Madeline, if you will accept my unsolicited advice, the first time you did the "name calling" back, it was unexpected and kind of funny.  But don't let Nam (or anyone here) pull you into a name calling fest.   It really diminishes from the content of the discussions. 

I would much rather see us dissect the issues rather than find petty linguistic flaws in each others threads and then start name calling.   

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
To the OP.

Something I have always said, even when I was a theist, was that if abortion was something that was truly against god's will then it couldn't happen.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
I did not attack her. I may have spoken to her condescendingly in reply #17 but it is only slight, and only the last line. Reply #24, I didn't call her an "idiot" and the implication is only there if she is like those people (I know, semantics).

And, I treat everyone equal to everyone else. I don't care if they are "new" or not but I was actually quite nice to her, for me.

You disagree: that's on you.

-Nam

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Quesi, Much appreciation for your post..I am quite dismayed that I allowed myself to be dragged into a mud fight..A Sensi I had much respect for reiterated the same principles you eluded to here..I suppose I felt cornered and acted in a way contrary to what I know is right..thank you..

Offline shnozzola

For those of you that like Rachel Maddow, after Mourdock's latest press conference ("I didn't mean what I said") she just said,"since god didn't intend for the rape, god arrived during the rape to ensure the pregnancy."   &)

Rachel's great.  Too bad Murdock replaced Richard Lugar - I liked him.  Mourdock said Senator Lugar was "too reasonable". :o

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
I sometimes miss watching her show.

-Nam

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
Madeleine, if a woman has sex without being able to give consent, but is not otherwise physically harmed and gives no struggle, is that a non-legitimate rape for you?  Probably not, but that's the impression your earlier comments give.  They make you sound like Todd Akin, just with a different "not-legitimate-rape" standard.  For him, it's pregnancy.  For you, it's the physical struggle.  Or so you made it sound.

In light of that, Nam's reaction is a lot more understandable, isn't it?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Absolutely not Azdgari..What Nam was saying was a story that he knew was not true..a myth, one which he scorned was rape..how can a story that he deemed not true be a "rape"?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
madeline,

That is irrelevant. I am speaking in the context of the story. It's like when people talk about Star Wars. They know it's fiction but they are speaking in the context of the story.

How is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

-Nam

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Irrelevant? LOL  It's fiction Nam..just like Star Wars...Remember when your Mama told you about Santa? You know he isn't real right? CRAP <looks around> did I just mess this up for Nam?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
I am going to say it now: you're an idiot and that comment proves it. Oh, and from your topic, you've shown you're also a liar. Congrats.

-Nam

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
Absolutely not Azdgari..What Nam was saying was a story that he knew was not true..a myth, one which he scorned was rape..how can a story that he deemed not true be a "rape"?

So what you're saying is that absolutely no story contains rape as one of the events in the story.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
No..what I am saying is Nam (and most atheist) believe the story of the "virgin" birth to be a myth..So how can they believe it to be a "rape" if it is false?

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Nam call me an idiot..that's cool..hell it takes one to know one..but a liar? how's that?

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
God Distances Self From Christian Right

THE HEAVENS—Responding to inflammatory remarks made by Republican Senate candidate Robert Mourdock during a Tuesday night debate, Our Lord God The Almighty Father today sought to distance Himself both from Mourdock and from the entire right-wing, fundamentalist Christian movement, sources confirmed.

“I want to make one thing absolutely clear: Mr. Mourdock’s comments from last night in no way reflect my position on this or any other issue ...”

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
you know what never mind..I feel bad..playing with the handicapped is wrong. Nam..you are right..everything you say is stellar!! I can't believe I didn't think of it..Crap when are you getting to Nobel Peace Prize?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
madeline,

It's really sad that your childish comebacks are all you have. Can you argue with an adult effectively? 'Cause if you can't, you have no chance against me. And, yes, I understand you think I am the child but you're the one lying like one, using child comebacks, and think you're right when you're obviously wrong.

Why are you wrong? 'Cause either you're ignorant to "context", or you're just an idiot. I am hoping the former but...

-Nam