Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
If you get under $3 before November 6th, let us know.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 12:48:07 PM »
Can I just say that I don't have the slightest sympathy with US gas prices - here and throughout most of Europe it is $8.17 for a US gallon.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +904/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 02:41:23 PM »
Can I just say that I don't have the slightest sympathy with US gas prices - here and throughout most of Europe it is $8.17 for a US gallon.

Word. You Europeans pay higher taxes and have higher gas prices than we do, and act like grownups about it. You know that health care, transportation and education are valuable public services and need to be paid for through taxes. I wish we in the US would just grow up and pay for what our country needs. (But we would rather have a big screen tv, two SUV's and a couple guns than help pay for our neighbor's health care. We 'Mericans got priorities, and besides, that health care might go to a brown person.)[1]

Seriously, we in the US are such whining babies on this stuff. We think it is our god-given right to drive big cars with cheap gas from other countries. And don't let a politician tell us we have to actually pay for something if we want it to be good. We get out the torches and pitchforks.
 1. I am feeling really pissed off right now. Yesterday one of my best students, a smart, middle-aged, working-class white lady, told me that she is facing her second medical bankruptcy. She just got a $50,000 bill for one week's uninsured hospitalization.  :o >:(
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »
If we had to pay $8.17 a gallon, we would be in big trouble. Everything here is so much bigger. And we've created a scenario where movement from one place to another is considered a necessity.

On several occasions last year I had to drive to Glendive, MT. It is in the same state I live in, but it is over 600 miles away. That is about as far away from where I live as Prague is from London.

It is our own fault. I'm not saying there is anything right about it. But that is why rising gas prices are so tough on us, both economically and socially.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 03:10:23 PM »
US GAsoline consumption:
Finished Motor Gasoline

2010 - 3,297,528,000 barrels x 42 = 138,496,176,000 gallons
2009 - 3,283,730,000 barrels x 42 = 137,916,660,000 gallons
2008 - 3,290,057,000 barrels x 42 = 138,182,394,000 gallons
2007 - 3,389,269,000 barrels x 42 = 142,349,298,000 gallons
2006 - 3,377,174,000 barrels x 42 = 141,841,308,000 gallons
2005 - 3,343,131,000 barrels x 42 = 140,411,502,000 gallons
2004 - 3,332,579,000 barrels x 42 = 139,968,318,000 gallons
2003 - 3,261,237,000 barrels x 42 = 136,971,954,000 gallons
2002 - 3,229,459,000 barrels x 42 = 135,637,278,000 gallons

Ethanol Used : Domestic Production + Imports (- Exports for 2010)

2010 - 12,844,096,457 gallons
2009 - 11,143,272,000 gallons
2008 - 9,838,374,000 gallons
2007 - 6,960,240,000 gallons
2006 - 5,615,484,000 gallons
2005 - 4,040,190,000 gallons
2004 - 3,551,142,000 gallons
2003 - 2,816,688,000 gallons
2002 - 2,153,004,000 gallons

Think what $1 a gallon tax would do...
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 03:13:36 PM »
On several occasions last year I had to drive to Glendive, MT. It is in the same state I live in, but it is over 600 miles away. That is about as far away from where I live as Prague is from London.
This did go though my mind - public transport?

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »
This did go though my mind - public transport?

I thought Public Transportation was an option when I went to NYC a few months ago. I live in Buffalo and NYC is about seven hours away. I went through Greyhound and the ticket cost about as much as gas would've cost if I drove, and by bus it was 3 hours longer. By train it would've cost me ten dollars more, and I don't even want to think about what it would cost by plane. So I don't think public transportation is really an option. So for some it just seems that even with public transportation, our own car is just more convenient.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:36:00 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
Public transport is hard when one has to take a truck full of tools to a construction site. (I once flew to England to do the kind of work I do (well, I'm sort of semi-retired now). You don't want to know how much it cost to send the tools and machines I needed.)

And right now, we have piss poor public transportation in Montana. The one interstate bus line still requires me to drive 40 miles to get to their station. And less than half the state is covered by bus services. Plus, as Emily pointed out, cost just about as much in fares to make the trip as gasoline would cost. Without the convenience.

And we have no train service in most part of my state. Only one passenger line exists, going across the top of the state near the Canadian border.

Again, our fault. A few insightful folks are trying to get at least local public transporation that will go further. But in a world full of oversized pickup trucks, all other ways of getting from point A to point B are considered unmanly.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +904/-6
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 04:02:15 PM »
Yes, the US is big and everything is spread out, and we refuse to fund high speed rail or nice modern buses. It is not by accident that makes the most  sense to drive-- we have created a situation where individual car travel is often cheaper, more comfortable and more convenient than the alternatives. So we are stuck with the four limited transit options we have--driving yourself, slow trains, nasty buses or crowded airplanes.

In most US cities, we could have good public transit like they do in Japan, Korea and European countries. There are other big, spread out places where people don't have to drive everywhere or undress at overcrowded airports--Mexico, Brazil and China spring to mind. China has 200mph bullet trains now that are covering the 800 miles from Shanghai to Beijing in 5 hours.

In the US, we are letting a handful of rich people and groups of religious crazies bollux up our politics. Meanwhile the rest of the world is passing us by. On nice, modern trains.

http://news.linktv.org/videos/bullet-train-halves-time-from-beijing-to-shanghai

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 04:07:59 PM »
We've been trying to get high-speed-rail in Central Florida but every time it gets close, someone comes in and defeats it.

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:14:12 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 04:24:36 PM »
Amtrak is fun but sadly they don't have many lines. North-Central United States is pretty much without'l service, other than that one line that ParkingPlaces pointed out. And if you do go by AmtraK you'll still have to fork over the cash for either bus or cab to get to your final destination.

I went from Chicago to New Mexico and it was a beautiful travel with beautiful scenery. However on the way back the train was late and I missed the layover train from Chicago to NY and had to spend a day waiting for another one. I was pissed!  >:(

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »
We've been trying to get high-speed-rail in Central Florida but every time it gets close, someone comes in and defeats it.

-Nam
The gov wanted to give Florida billions for one from Tampa to Orlando but your Gov turned it down.  Could have opened up a lot of jobs also.  Wait a minute ... I thought Repubs were all about jobs, jobs,jobs.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 06:22:46 PM »
Illinois just tested a high speed rail line.  They're planning on getting the line to go from Chicago all the way to St. Louis.  I'm not sure entirely how it's being funded but some of it is coming from the federal government, and I think some from the state and city governments.  I'm amazed it's going through as Illinois has the second worst credit rating in the US.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »
When I was stationed in Englad 40+ years ago, I could walk out to the front gate, get on a bus, get taken to the train station, take a train to most anywhere in the country. and in a place where the people haven't got the slightest idea of which side of the road to drive on, it was a real comfort to not have to guess along with the rest of them.

Europe and a few large metropolitan areas in the US have proven that it is possible for humans to design, build and use well-designed and run public transit systems. The only US city I am really familiar with in this regard is the greater Portland, Oregon region, which has a fantastic system of trains and buses that work quite well. Realistically speaking, it would be almost impossible to put a mass transit system in rural areas like where I live in Montana, but there are far more rail lines than indicated on the Map Emily posted. Those are the only ones Amtrak uses. There is a line across the southern part of Montana that would give me much easier access to that option. But then they would have to run a heck of a lot more than one train a day each way, which is often the case on the routes they have now.

I might have to drive to Missoula to catch a train, but then I would be able to go most anywhere in the country without having my privates x-rayed. I would consider that a plus.

In the meantime, even the airport is 40 miles away.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 07:55:49 PM »
As has been pretty well stated... Within major metro areas public transit is a legitimate option, but if you live outside of .... I'll guess and say the 12 largest cities, we simply lack the infrastructure and appear to lack the desire to change that.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-23
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »
Was down to 3.05 yesterday. Heard it was under $3 today.

Kingsport, TN

http://www.tennesseegasprices.com/Murphy_USA_Gas_Stations/Kingsport/104516/index.aspx

So...does this mean Obama will be re-elected? Or will the "Frankenstorm" decide who wins?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-23
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
As has been pretty well stated... Within major metro areas public transit is a legitimate option, but if you live outside of .... I'll guess and say the 12 largest cities, we simply lack the infrastructure and appear to lack the desire to change that.

I've said it before...if anyone caught it, perhaps they thought I was not being sincere. Our roads and highways should ONLY be used for interstate commerce or emergency personnel. 

Too many people die on our roads each year. Too many people abuse that privilege. The only people who should be authorized to operate a motor vehicle are highly trained professionals for official purposes. 

If 1/2 a billion less cars are on the road then gas prices and automobile fatalities become a concern of the past.

So yes, lets bring back the good ole days of the railroad barons or usher in a new era of taxi cab magnates.

It is much easier to control a population when they are immobile.

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +904/-6
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »
Huh?

Are you saying that the majority of the world--people who are not dependent on cars-- are immobile? Controlled? They don't go to work or school, they don't go visit relatives or go shopping? Since they don't have to drive, they just stay huddled in their homes all the time in Argentina and Japan and France? What are you talking about?

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
Too many people die on our roads each year. Too many people abuse that privilege. The only people who should be authorized to operate a motor vehicle are highly trained professionals for official purposes. 

And yet some of those highly trained professionals also drive into oncoming traffic. For example, a local incident from a few weeks ago:

http://www.wben.com/pages/14511768.php?contentType=4&contentId=11629707

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-23
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2012, 08:50:37 PM »
Huh?

Are you saying that the majority of the world--people who are not dependent on cars-- are immobile? Controlled?

Yes, to a certain extent they are.

They don't go to work or school, they don't go visit relatives or go shopping?

Think Global...act local. Small communities are the most vibrant part of any society. Instead of fleeing to the suburbs, if there were no private automobiles, people would be less inclined to travel long distances for work or school or medicine or change. They would be more inclined to make a change for the better in their communities if they were more securely tethered and less free to roam. 

What are you talking about?

North America.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-23
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
And yet some of those highly trained professionals also drive into oncoming traffic. For example, a local incident from a few weeks ago:

http://www.wben.com/pages/14511768.php?contentType=4&contentId=11629707

And yet, if there were only commercial traffic then there would have been less oncoming traffic. The less people on the roads, the fewer casualties of driving. With less traffic the emergency personnel could respond much faster to crashes which would only involve commercial drivers...not little kids.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2012, 09:06:25 PM »
Well, Mr. B, I am happy to know that I could die tomorrow when I drive to my job that's a 15 minute drive from my home. I'm just happy that I am mobile and that I don't rely on bus schedule's, or trains that might be late. Only because if I am late my boss doesn't care about my transportation issues. My city has a population of 260,000.

I drive away from the city to a job where I know I probably wont get held up a gun point, and I only do this to pay my mortgage and to make a living.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2012, 05:47:46 AM »
When I was stationed in Englad 40+ years ago, I could walk out to the front gate, get on a bus, get taken to the train station, take a train to most anywhere in the country. and in a place where the people haven't got the slightest idea of which side of the road to drive on, it was a real comfort to not have to guess along with the rest of them.

Europe and a few large metropolitan areas in the US have proven that it is possible for humans to design, build and use well-designed and run public transit systems. The only US city I am really familiar with in this regard is the greater Portland, Oregon region, which has a fantastic system of trains and buses that work quite well. Realistically speaking, it would be almost impossible to put a mass transit system in rural areas like where I live in Montana, but there are far more rail lines than indicated on the Map Emily posted.

Whilst people like to moan about public transport, I do like our public transport system here in the UK for the most part. My main gripe is that not necessarily every village has access to public transport, when it probably wouldn't actually take a lot to make it happen. I say this because my village gets a bus once a week and I don't drive, so I rely on family members to drop me off on their way to work so I can get to work myself. In an ideal world, I don't fancy learning driving, but I think it's a case of moving out or learning to drive and the latter is the cheaper option and I'm not exactly on high wages. On the other hand, when I was a student and lived in where I studied, I could just get about anywhere via the public transport system, though I tended to walk to most places within the city because it's healthier...even if it'd take longer. ;) If I wanted to get out of the city, it was a bus or train journey away. I think a public system can work, but I think for it to be a viable replacement for cars it'd need to be a lot more accessible and of course, once you remove cars out of the equation then public transport becomes a lot more popular and heck, potentially cheaper.

However, the downside is, you can only go to specific destinations, but hey, what's the harm in walking or taking a bicycle with you for the rest of the way? It's healthy.

[edit]
Though I feel I should mention, sometimes public transport can be slow or pricey, depends on the type of transport you're using. Last time I met up with a friend in Derby he was travelling from Cardiff, so he had 2 options, there was train or bus. Train took half as long as the bus but cost twice as much, so he went by bus. ;) I think the train ticket was something like £60, maybe more. For folks who don't know UK geography, Google Maps it. :P (but don't try Apple maps, it might send you half way across the world). So public transport isn't necessarily the most convenient method, but I think it's workable, weirdly enough, I actually preferred the 24 hour journey to Wacken, Germany by bus than by plane, taxi, train, bus. Even though the latter was quicker.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:02:59 AM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2012, 05:56:10 AM »
For long journeys, people in the UK do not have a real economic choice - like the USA, train and plane travel is unreasonably expensive - bus travel is good and ridiculously cheap but sometimes not particularly convenient.

I recognise that some people do need to travel long distances, but the comparative number is low - the vast majority of journeys in any civilised country are to and from work.

There would be no particular difficulty in raising the price of gas $1/gal but giving a tax rebate of $0.85 per gallon for gas used for business but not commuting or private use.

Additionally, whilst looking at some figures, I came across average mpg for American cars - the figures were not the most encouraging.

Before price hikes in fuel costs, I thought that 32mpg (26mpg US) was reasonable - now I would not think of owning a car (all my mileage is private) that did fewer than 40mpg (33 US). Here is another way of offsetting a taxation rise.

Having said this, I feel that any US politician who seriously suggested an (additional) $1/gal, may as well advocate public displays of paedophilia as part of Satan worship. Consequently, I think that only global market pressure on fuel prices will lower US fuel consumption, which is a pity, as the same effect could now be used for good purposes.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2012, 11:38:56 AM »
^ You are absolutely right about that Graybeard.  If a politician in this country suggested something like that they may as well not bother running.  Even though it makes logical sense, Americans (as a whole, and in general) simply do not tolerate anything anything that could be (mis)construed as impinging on their freedoms (as this would be painted by any opposition).  I'm not saying I love or hate your idea, I'm kinda on the fence, but it couldn't even be brought up in a forum for reasonable discourse. 

I mean, just look at how Obama and other politicians are blamed for fluctuation in gas prices even though their decisions have a negligible impact on any of that kind of thing.  Directly connecting any politician to an immediate and noticeable increase of $20+ to fill up your vehicle would be political suicide.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »
JUst had to give an update on this post.  I got gas today for $2.89.  (12-14-12)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »
$2.84 today (12-18-12).  Sh*t, they are going to be giving the stuff away soon.