Author Topic: I'm demonoically possessed  (Read 696 times)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
I'm demonoically possessed
« on: October 22, 2012, 11:51:17 PM »

Why would demons want to show themselves like that? It would only convert people to the faith, and it would make the exorcizers gain in faith, to cast the rest out.
What if these are Catholic demons, that are trying to convert me to the fake religion, Cathlocity?

Interview with the reporter
http://www.sbs.com.au/dateline/story/related/aid/631/id/601551/n/Date-with-the-Devil
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: I'm demonoically possessed
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:57:32 PM »
You must be, misspelling "Demonically".

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:09:49 AM »
Demons know to leave me alone. I don't writhe very well.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:13:44 AM »
I have been told countless times that I am a demon. I don't know what they are referring to. I am a sweet and kind man.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline kindred

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-5
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:36:57 AM »
I am a demon in bed 8) deal, with it. Does that count?

"Keep calm and carry on"

"I trust you are not in too much distress"

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 01:22:42 AM »
Where is the green shit and the twirling head?  What kind of lame ass demon is this?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 01:24:23 AM »
Only if the girl tells you that. Telling yourself that, that makes you something else entirely.

:P

-Nam

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 02:19:36 AM »
That. Was. Dreadful. I can't believe this sort of rubbish still happens.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 05:33:54 AM »
Saw this documentary the other day about 'the new prostitution'. Seems that one of the new influxes of prostitutes in France is from Nigeria. Where 'Madammes' send in a first instance, their surplus daughters to Europe (to work as ... 'hairdressers') and when they run out of daughters they start sending their 'nieces' and those never seem to run out. Thing is, to keep these girls in line, their faiths are bound to jujus. And these nominally christian girls absolutely believe in the power of these jujus. In one case, a girl who had escaped from prostitution refused to press charges because her Madamme still had her juju. And she feared being struck dead if she did go to the cops.
When you open the doors to insanity, even with 'mild' lunacy like christianity, all kinds of weird shit will creep in. After all, how DO you tell the difference between the regular crazy shit and the batshit crazy shit.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 07:02:23 AM »

BTW, if you are actually caught with a Buddhist demon, you can get them out of you, without Christ. You just need to bang plates and throw beans around. Apparently, plates and beans are as good as Jesus.

Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »
Only if the girl tells you that. Telling yourself that, that makes you something else entirely.

:P

-Nam
Yes! It just means, your good with your hands.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Strawman

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • Attempting free thought
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »
Fighting secret battles against the devil and saving the world from evil? Yep, sounds like more of the same egocentric bullshit from Christians. "It's not my power, it's God's power (that I just so happen to be able to channel to fight demons because I'm a fucking superhero!)"
If God exists at all he clearly wishes to reside exclusively in the imagination.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 08:13:47 AM »
At first I thought you wrote "I'm democratically possessed" and I thought that it was quite amazing that demons would share equally in your possession.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 08:55:50 AM »
At first I thought you wrote "I'm democratically possessed" and I thought that it was quite amazing that demons would share equally in your possession.

Maybe demons are causing your bad eyesight. I had a sore finger; that was definately demonoic possession.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »
Someone once thought I was possessed by a demon, but I was just break dancing.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »
^scary sight.

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:52:37 AM by Nam »

Offline Dominic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-9
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »

Why would demons want to show themselves like that? It would only convert people to the faith, and it would make the exorcizers gain in faith, to cast the rest out.

From what I have read they don't like to show themselves.  However if the affected person wishes to be rid of the 'spirit' and especially if outsiders (eg priests) attempt to help then the reaction can be very dramatic and 'battles' (like those filmed) can often ensue.

To understand this better, it helps when you realise that we are all affected by 'spirits' to varying degrees.  We have a saying in english 'to face your demons' referring to personal troubles or weaknesses which people sometimes choose to face or sometimes are forced to face.

Can you ever remember a time when you were angry, resentful, bitter or negative and you chose to hold onto it rather than let it go, or forgive, or move on ?  It is like a spirit that comes upon you and you recognise that its there and ultimately you choose how long to keep it and when to let it go.

In serious cases, where feelings/desires go very deep, or have been held for years (eg addictions), then letting go can sometimes require, or be aided by outside help.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »
... be rid of the 'spirit' ... 'battles' ...'spirits' ...'to face your demons'

Why the scare quotes?  What do you mean by that?  Are you suggesting demons are not actual evil entities with personalities, but rather our own frames of mind?  If so, why the ambiguity?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Dominic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-9
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »
... be rid of the 'spirit' ... 'battles' ...'spirits' ...'to face your demons'

Why the scare quotes?  What do you mean by that?  Are you suggesting demons are not actual evil entities with personalities, but rather our own frames of mind?  If so, why the ambiguity?

I would suggest there is a spectrum between a frame of mind (mild affliction) at one end and a nasty, dangerous separate personality (or personalities) at the other depending on the individual, the experiences they have had, and how they have dealt with them.  We would almost all have the mild afflictions.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
I would suggest there is a spectrum between a frame of mind (mild affliction) at one end and a nasty, dangerous separate personality

huh?  I don't understand how there can be a spectrum, a sliding scale between being upset[1] by past events and being haunted by a supernatural personality.  Please explain that further.

1. for lack of a better word
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Dominic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-9
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »
I would suggest there is a spectrum between a frame of mind (mild affliction) at one end and a nasty, dangerous separate personality

huh?  I don't understand how there can be a spectrum, a sliding scale between being upset[1] by past events and being haunted by a supernatural personality.  Please explain that further.
 1. for lack of a better word

Have you ever had an argument with someone (quite often family) where the two of you went off the deep end ?  and afterwards (perhaps the next day) both of you possibly thought that was a bit nuts ?  Or perhaps you've witnessed it with two people you know well ? 

Where the argument, fight got way out of proportion for what seemed to have been just a minor trigger ?  Where the 'combatants' start bringing up every past negative event they can remember to 'throw' at the other person ?   Sometimes these are mostly one sided fights.  But often one party going off will set off the other one. 

Individuals afterwards when things have calmed down, can often be sincerely shocked at things that he/she said or did.  'I was not myself',  'I don't know what came over me',  'I'm not sure what possessed me to have....' are some of the phrases that you might hear.

For anyone who knows a bit about Eckhart Tolle, his name for this phenomenon is the 'pain body' which we each have inside us.  A 'garbage bag' full of hurts and resentments which lives on inside us, often dormant and quiet, but can rise up on certain occasions, if certain triggers arise, if certain buttons are pushed.  Depending on the individual, the 'pain body' may be relatively harmless or may be a dangerous beast, in which case when it awakens, physical violence and harm may result. 

In extreme cases, people have to be locked away, either because they have injured people or because they regularly lose grip on reality in dramatic ways.

The word 'supernatural' does not need to be used.  However if you witness an extreme case you may see actions and appearances which stretch the boundaries of ordinary explanations.  I don't feel a need to call it supernatural.  But, I would say that there is a whole lot more to 'natural' than many of us think.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 02:01:25 PM »
Have you ever had an argument ...

yes.  I am familiar with that.  however, I do no see the sliding scale between experiencing a typical emotion and being inhabited by another being.

For anyone who knows a bit about Eckhart Tolle,...

I've read one of his books.  I think Tolle is completely full of shit.  A vague, language abusing wooist of the highest order who takes advantage of people who are lost in geniune problems.  If I met him, I would kick that German leprechaun in the balls.

A 'garbage bag' full of hurts and resentments which lives on inside us,

This is taking a metaphor literally.  It's silly.  Hurts and resentments are not alive and to say they live or dwell inside us might be a novel way of describing it, but ultmately, inaccurate.  By calling them 'spirits' or 'demons', you, or Tolle, or whomever, is personifying an emotion or memory or experience. 

So I take it, then, that the answer to my question is there is no sliding scale.  You were just speaking in metaphorical language, but sort of ambiguously treating it as if it were literal. 

However if you witness an extreme case you may see actions and appearances which stretch the boundaries of ordinary explanations.  I don't feel a need to call it supernatural.  But, I would say that there is a whole lot more to 'natural' than many of us think.

You see, the explanations you sort of gave before were less opaque.  But when you use language like you did in this paragraph, it makes me wonder whether you are intentionally trying to confuse me. You are not speaking precisely enough to communicate with me.  I have asked about the relationship between emotions and actual beings.  You may or may not be.  And after two posts now, you have not brought me any closer to understanding what you are talking about.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline learnin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 04:34:04 PM »
I always wonder why these exorcisms go on and on and on sometimes for years.   Hell, if Jesus is really God and all powerful, shouldn't just one command drive a weakling back into hell?????

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 04:38:48 PM »
Jesus possesses them.

-Nam

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +527/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »
Once these demons have been driven out, can they be house-trained?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 08:43:22 PM »
Once these demons have been driven out, can they be house-trained?

They typically go into the next Christian, but if everyone is full up with demons, already, they have to possess other demons inside Christians. Demonoic is when they get stacked up a bit.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 10:13:06 PM »
Why don't demons possess atheists?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 10:22:08 PM »
We're not tasty enough.

-Nam

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 11:46:26 PM »
Why don't demons possess atheists?

Well, they do. Any time you get a sore finger or shout a bit, you are infested. If we were then to be exorcised by priests, we would be patronising and start to fault the Bible, just like a real demon would.