Author Topic: God = Anthropomorphism  (Read 432 times)

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
God = Anthropomorphism
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »
Theists/Christians:

My point with this thread, is to hopefully raise your awareness level to see that your god is merely man’s extension of his own characteristics onto a god/father figure.

The following verses from the bible, and subsequent quotes ought to display this.

Isn't it interesting that physical human characteristics are placed upon the Abrahamic god?

Exodus 15:8  The valleys of the sea were exposed, and the foundations of the earth laid bare at your rebuke, Lord, at the blast of breath from your nostrils.

Isaiah 40:11  He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.

Deuteronomy 12:28  Be careful to obey all these regulations I am giving you, so that it may always go well with you and your children after you, because you will be doing what is good and right in the eyes of the LORD your God.

Job 33:26  …then that person can pray to God and find favor with him, they will see God’s face and shout for joy; he will restore them to full well-being.

Exodus 32:11  But Moses sought the favor of the LORD his God. “LORD,” he said, “why should your anger burn against your people, whom you brought out of Egypt with great power and a mighty hand?

Genesis 6:6  The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.

Job 9:13  God does not restrain his anger; even the cohorts of Rahab cowered at his feet.

Job 15:30  He will not escape the darkness; a flame will wither his shoots, and the breath of God’s mouth will carry him away.

Job 16:9  God assails me and tears me in his anger and gnashes his teeth at me; my opponent fastens on me his piercing eyes.

Exodus 19:19  As the sound of the trumpet grew louder and louder, Moses spoke and the voice of God answered him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If triangles made a god, they would give him three sides.  (Montesquieu)

If horses had gods, they would look like horses.  (Xenophanes)

The idea of god was not a lie but a device of the unconscious which needed to be decoded by psychology. A personal god was nothing more than an exalted father-figure.  Desire for such a deity sprang from infantile yearnings for a powerful, protective father; for justice and fairness and for life to go on forever. God is simply a projection of these desires, feared and worshipped by human beings out of an abiding sense of helplessness. Religion belonged to the infancy of the human race; it had been a necessary stage in the transition from childhood to maturity. It had promoted ethical values which were essential to society. Now that humanity had come of age, however, it should be left behind.  (Sigmund Freud)

Man is, and always has been, a maker of gods.  (John Burroughs)

Open for discussion.............
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:03:18 PM by Star Stuff »
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: God = Anthropomorphism
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:41:34 PM »
I think the main response would be: God is not made in man's image but we are made in His. When the Bible uses terms such as body parts or emotions, it's not a literal translation of who or what God is but instead figurative representations so we can better interpret God's love for us.

etc., etc.,

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:51:33 PM »
In other words, a rationalization/excuse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:04:35 PM »
Of course.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Offline kindred

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-5
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 03:11:41 AM »
But the human psyche cannot function without those rationalizations. The way the brain is set up just doesn't allow us to withstand how reality actually is.
"Keep calm and carry on"

"I trust you are not in too much distress"

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »
That is very interesting, the bible mentions god's breath, nose, arms, heart, eyes, face, hands, mouth, teeth, voice, but no where does it mention his penis. I've always wondered about god's penis.

Throughout the bible there is no mention of god's sexual powers, but also throughout the bible, there are countless descriptions of how women's vagina should be utilized. I guess the accounts of rape and how to respond to it could be considered as man projecting his sexuality onto/into god.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Strawman

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • Attempting free thought
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 08:24:52 AM »
That is very interesting, the bible mentions god's breath, nose, arms, heart, eyes, face, hands, mouth, teeth, voice, but no where does it mention his penis. I've always wondered about god's penis.

Throughout the bible there is no mention of god's sexual powers, but also throughout the bible, there are countless descriptions of how women's vagina should be utilized. I guess the accounts of rape and how to respond to it could be considered as man projecting his sexuality onto/into god.
Well that's part of the control isn't it. Many religions ban alcohol and nearly all of them revile sexuality. If the church is your only outlet and prayer is your only ecstasy then you'll do anything to appease the church, even murder.
If God exists at all he clearly wishes to reside exclusively in the imagination.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:04:04 AM »
When I was a young stupid Baptist I always thought the rain was Biblegod urinating on us.[1]

-Nam
 1. justkidding. I mean I did think that but facetiously.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 11:06:40 AM »
Man, that is stupid, clearly it's his tears.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 11:53:57 AM »
When I was a young stupid Baptist I always thought the rain was Biblegod urinating on us.[1]

-Nam
 1. justkidding. I mean I did think that but facetiously.

Probably the way different religions veiw it.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »

But when he pisses it is acid rain.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »
Where'd all the xtians go?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
They are dancing in Biblegod's urine.

-Nam

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +502/-17
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
At school, as was usual in those days[1], we had “Religious Instruction”. One third of the class were atheists, 3rd were not interested at all, and 3rd were varying shades of Christian.

The RI teacher presented the argument that it was impossible for a human to imagine something novel. The evidence for this was that all that has ever happened is that someone improved something or adapted something and added a known object, to produce a “new” item.

Moreover, she continued, there is nothing new under the sun – Ecc:1:9 What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again;  there is nothing new under the sun.

The essence of this argument is to say that there must be a God, otherwise we could not imagine God.

A classmate, Mick Greenhough, pointed out Superman – the RI teacher bit: "Superman is simply a man with mythical powers.”

Mick Greehough replied, “You mean, like God?”
 1. 1964
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 06:59:24 PM »
Graybeard,

When I read your first line I thought, "The Depression era?" then I saw your note and thought, "Close enough.".

lol![1]

-Nam

1. this "lol!" Is also for your last bit. Good story.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +502/-17
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 06:05:09 AM »
You don't know how close you have just come to a negative Darwin!
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »
:(

-Nam