Author Topic: Tough board to join  (Read 2929 times)

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Tough board to join
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:45:19 PM »
I love this place..have for a long time..but you guys really hate newcomers..lol..

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +48/-0
Re: Tough board to join
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
you guys really hate newcomers..lol..

How so, madeline?

And glad you like the board. It's great, isn't it?
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +288/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »
Stating "we hate newcomers" without examples is a bit baffling, no?

If you're going to say something negative, at least back it up.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
I love this place..have for years..took me a while to join..much longer to post..just seems newcomers aren't welcomed into the fray..

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »
sorry Nam..I know this is your home..I suppose I should wipe my feet

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »
All you have to do is post.  Rest is easy.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +288/-80
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »
Sounds like a personal problem you have, not everyone else. Maybe you're right but you're just saying, "I love this site but it took me years to join!" Which says nothing, in all reality. Except about you, and not others.

-Nam

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 03:02:10 PM »
Thanks Nick..I have posted..grateful for all the responses..I guess its me..hard to find a place that feels like home..my bad

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:49 PM »
Thanks Nam..

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +288/-80
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 03:05:12 PM »
sorry Nam..I know this is your home..I suppose I should wipe my feet

What does this have anything to do with what you are saying?

Whether this is my home, Nick's, Hal's, screwtapes', etc., what does it mean? You're not saying anything. You made an accusation against the website about being unwelcoming to newbies yet only speaking about yourself.

-Nam

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 03:07:42 PM »
honestly Nam enough..please..delete this post..delete me..its all good

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +48/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
honestly Nam enough..please..delete this post..delete me..its all good

It's posts like these that members hate.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 03:13:18 PM »
I suppose you are right emily..my bad

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +288/-80
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »
madeline,

What's with the excessive spacing in your comment box?

-Nam

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 03:28:14 PM »
Nam.............why do you care?............lol

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +288/-80
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 03:38:14 PM »
Just don't see the necessity of it.

-Nam

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 03:52:14 PM »
Hi madeline,

I think I understand the point you're making. I spent several months reading here before I ever posted anything, and many months later I'm still not a frequent poster. I love it here, in part because of the challenges (which I think are what you are alluding to in your post).

It's a tough board, in that anything said well be read critically to see if it holds up under careful examination. There's little patience for theists who arrive intent on saving us godless sinners, but can't be bothered to spend some time reviewing the history to see if they have anything new to add. There's little tolerance for assertions that aren't, or can't be, supported by evidence, ideally empirical evidence. No one gets away with BS on the "serious" topics, and may be called out for it on more light topics too. Many of the members have been here for a long time, and are often well read across a wide range of topics, so odds are good there's someone in the community who is fairly knowledgeable in whatever topic may be under discussion. And everyone knows how to use Google.

It's all about critical thinking. Part of what I love about this place is that I can see a well-constructed argument in action. I can see logical fallacies in "real world" context, and watch them get dismantled. Sometimes the conversation takes a familiar path, and sometimes it deviates into completely unexpected areas, but it's almost always enlightening. You can get hammered on for a poor word choice. You will hear about it if you post without thinking through what your audience is going to read in your words that you may not have intended. Any bias that shows up will be brought into the light to be examined in minute detail. And you'll be a better communicator for it.

I'm not all that great with biblical arguments, but get lots of useful information from members who are. I learn all kinds of stuff about politics that I might not otherwise find. I get exposed to views that may not mesh with my own, but are presented in a way that at least makes me have to consider if my views are valid, or habitual. Most of that gets processed in my head, not on the pages.

In general, I find the tone tends to be fairly serious. Get involved in conversations that aren't "heavy" and get familiar with the areas that don't tend to spark as much conflict. As long as you are prepared to substantiate whatever you say here, you'll be fine. I strongly recommend easing into this place as opposed to a headlong dive into the deep end.

Good luck!

Edited for spelling error.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +288/-80
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 04:10:23 PM »
I think I understand the point you're making. I spent several months reading here before I ever posted anything, and many months later I'm still not a frequent poster. I love it here, in part because of the challenges (which I think are what you are alluding to in your post).

I always just joined. If I didn't like it, then I just left.

It's a tough board, in that anything said well be read critically to see if it holds up under careful examination.

One of the reasons I like this site.

There's little patience for theists who arrive intent on saving us godless sinners, but can't be bothered to spend some time reviewing the history to see if they have anything new to add.

This is why they should have a section with little to no rules; that way they can be themselves, we can be more ourselves, and an outsider viewing can see who the "rational" person(s) actually are.

There's little tolerance for assertions that aren't, or can't be, supported by evidence, ideally empirical evidence.

Which is fine with the rest of the website but a section where they can bring their "emperical evidence" free from moderation would be sweet.

No one gets away with BS on the "serious" topics, and may be called out for it on more light topics too. Many of the members have been here for a long time, and are often well read across a wide range of topics, so odds are good there's someone in the community who is fairly knowledgeable in whatever topic may be under discussion. And everyone knows how to use Google.

Yahoo! sucks.

It's all about critical thinking. Part of what I love about this place is that I can see a well-constructed argument in action. I can see logical fallacies in "real world" context, and watch them get dismantled. Sometimes the conversation takes a familiar path, and sometimes it deviates into completely unexpected areas, but it's almost always enlightening. You can get hammered on for a poor word choice. You will hear about it if you post without thinking through what your audience is going to read in your words that you may not have intended. Any bias that shows up will be brought into the light to be examined in minute detail. And you'll be a better communicator for it.

Yep.

I'm not all that great with biblical arguments, but get lots of useful information from members who are. I learn all kinds of stuff about politics that I might not otherwise find. I get exposed to views that may not mesh with my own, but are presented in a way that at least makes me have to consider if my views are valid, or habitual. Most of that gets processed in my head, not on the pages.

In general, I find the tone tends to be fairly serious. Get involved in conversations that aren't "heavy" and get familiar with the areas that don't tend to spark as much conflict. As long as you are prepared to substantiate whatever you say here, you'll be fine. I strongly recommend easing into this place as opposed to a headlong dive into the deep end.

I'm a diver, myself.

:D

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:14:50 PM by Nam »

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »
It's a pretty heated forum and lots of people will post, it can get overwhelming for newbies, but to be honest, we love newbies, it's new perspectives, it's new people to talk to and it's more interesting. But I don't think anybody here hold back or really pulls their punches, I can see how that might be intimidating, but for how this forum works, I like to think what we've got going here is good. I think it's harder for a theist newbie, because generally what they get is not what they're used to and they are generally outnumbered and what's acceptable in church is not necessarily what's acceptable here. But this place makes no secret that it's a tough environment, I think it's a love it or hate it affair - those who don't like it don't stay long, unfortunately, some people who don't like it would have us change our ways, but that ain't gonna happen and throw a hissy fit when they don't get their way - usually these folks are the ones who try to go out with a bang. We had one a couple of months back. ;)

But I wouldn't get us wrong, we're reasonable folks and we are actually pretty approachable folks and I like to think that actuallly, we're a friendly bunch. For me, what I love is the brutal honesty and I think it's refreshing, but it's not really for sensitive folks. :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:21:40 PM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +288/-80
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 04:40:37 PM »
But I don't think anybody here hold back or really pulls their punches, I can see how that might be intimidating, but for how this forum works, I like to think what we've got going here is good.

Actually, I hold it back. A bit.

I think it's harder for a theist newbie, because generally what they get is not what they're used to and they are generally outnumbered and what's acceptable in church is not necessarily what's acceptable here.

Comfort zones. They are used to winning the conversation where as here, they have to back up what they say.

...unfortunately, some people who don't like it would have us change our ways, but that ain't gonna happen and throw a hissy fit when they don't get their way - usually these folks are the ones who try to go out with a bang. We had one a couple of months back. ;)

If one looks at other atheist websites that are inviting to theists, I think this place could learn from them. I am not stating total capitulation but there ls got to be an in between so theists stay here longer than they normally do.

But I wouldn't get us wrong, we're reasonable folks and we are actually pretty approachable folks and I like to think that actuallly, we're a friendly bunch. For me, what I love is the brutal honesty and I think it's refreshing, but it's not really for sensitive folks. :)

QFT

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:42:57 PM by Nam »

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »
Yes Nam, I figured that out about you  ;). But I can also see why madeline and others might find that approach to be a little intimidating. This site is not for the sensitive, as Seppuku pointed out. Most of us haven't had a great deal of practice in critically presenting our positions, and can find it difficult to learn to express ourselves that way. Kudos to everyone who arrives and actually tries to do so; the world will only benefit from more critical thinkers.

I find that the more time I spend here, the harder I am on posters in other forums. I'm not sure if I should thank the members here, or apologize to everyone else, but my tolerance for bad arguments or posts that miss the point is almost completely destroyed now. I actually apologized to some random dude the other day for holding him to an unrealistic standard on a public board. It wasn't until a few hours had passed that I realized that my apology might have been a little insulting as well.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 04:47:47 PM »
Thanks so much Jag..your understanding is so appreciated!

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 05:15:55 PM »
Yeah, I just kinda of dove right in head first without thinking or even knowing about the forums existence. I responded to a video about a magic trick involving a milk jug and prayer.

Madeline, the thing you should realize is that for people like Nam and myself, possibly a few others as well...we are looking for strife. An opposing point of view to argue or question. I have noticed that most of your comments are reaffirming or showing your aggreement with something someone said. While that is great and it is good to show your support it doesn't usually garner a reply.

I rarely lend my voice in agreement to something someone said. I may add a snarky comment for comedic value and it's fun to get a joke running sometimes. Please don't mistake a lack of response to your comments as a dismisal of you as a person.

And don't be afraid to pick a fight or stand up for yourself if someone questions you. It's the internet...you are safe here.

"People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don't care. People need certain things" - Senator Leland Yee (D) California

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
Thanks Mr. Blackwell and fuck you too!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +168/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 05:39:44 PM »
madeline - I am not really Jetson, I am Batman.  Just let me know, and I will take down any member who screws with you.

You're welcome.   ;D

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +288/-80
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 06:22:14 PM »
Come on Batman, I'll take you and your little buddy Robin on!

;)

-Nam

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »
I'm not up on current events.  Who is beating up Madeline and why? 

Dammit.  I want it to stop. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 07:14:08 PM »
I have know idea what this one is all about.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +288/-80
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »
Quesi,

It's not me. I am the nicest most sweetest guy in the world.

Nick,

It's all about you.

-Nam