Author Topic: Through the Wormhole  (Read 491 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Through the Wormhole
« on: October 21, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +533/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: Through the Wormhole
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:05:40 PM »
Of course we did!

"Few nations have been so poor as to have but one god. Gods were made so easily, and the raw material cost so little, that generally the god market was fairly glutted and heaven crammed with these phantoms."
(Robert Green Ingersoll / 1833-1899)

"Man is certainly stark mad: he cannot make a worm, yet he will make gods by the dozen."
(Michel de Montaigne / 1533-1592)
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
The idea of man is the idea of god; except man wakes up every morning, and god only appears in the ink stained in the fingernails of the one thinking up what god's going to proclaim today.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »
Not one of our better ideas.  Now the wheel...that was an invention.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:49:20 PM »
Cause and effect. Why do our minds require answers to the question of cause and effect? What caused the universe to appear...what is the effect? Is their an end?

What started us out on this path of discovery? First, there was observation. Second, there was an hypothesis. Third, figuring out a way to test the hypothesis. Fourth, testing the hypothesis.

God...or a creative "being" is the first hypothesis. We are currently in the process of figuring out a way to test the hypothesis and testing it.

If there is a pattern to creation we are uniquely qualified to identify it. Could it be that our ability to recognize patterns created a false image? Or, do we see a false pattern?

Science and religion go hand in hand as far as I am concerned. I don't think we could have one without the other even if certain aspects of both deny certain aspects of the other.

People, humans with their "imagined" free will seek to bend or obscure the results or blend the results into a homogeneous philosophy or some sort of grand unified theory.

No matter how you slice it or dice it or blast it or dissolve it, no matter how much you magnify it or minimize it. No matter which direction you go, we find that everything is connected.

I ask...connected to what and why? In an infinite universe...anything is possible. In a finite universe the choices are more limited.

Has reality always existed? Will it ever end?

What about consciousness? 

Now...I think I may watch the video[1].
 1. I fricken love Morgan Freeman
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »
Humans have always been curious.  We have always had a keen desire to understand why things are as they are.  What can we do collectively to get to those answers, or at least get closer?  I see religion and philosophy as more closely related than religion and science.  Although, religion was in charge for so long, and provided all of the "answers", I think it is obvious now that it was always wrong, and that it never really had anything but philosophical best guesses, some more accurate than others.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 07:38:22 PM »
Just watched the video.  Pretty cool experiments by science. 

Online Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 02:22:33 AM »
I watched.  What occurred to me was that we might have to apply some understanding when dealing with believers.  They have not cooked up the notion of god for themselves, nor is stupidity (initially) a factor.  When a believer has a spiritual experience, the video shows that they are actually having an experience.  This, to them, is profound evidence.  We may get nowhere trying to devalue that experience.  They are (for the most part, if one is to be charitable) telling the truth, or in any case, not 'lying'. when they cite those experiences as a foundation for their beliefs.

The question left unanswered by the video, and is now presented to us, is how do we break through (what appears to be nearly everyone's) natural, human inclination to believe?  How can we effectively argue against the existence of god when people are hard-wired to perceive him?  I don't, as yet, have any answer to offer.

An answer might lie in that we have other hard-wired inclinations; to rut, to fight, to flee and so forth, yet we bring modifying concepts to bear to control those natural responses.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 06:31:20 AM »
Bereft...there is another consideration.  Modern knowledge.

Many Christian believers have access to modern knowledge that explains the laws of physics, and explains most of the non-sense written in holy books.  What we need is a way to separate genuine human experiences from the BS written down thousands of years ago by the hopelessly ignorant.