Author Topic: Odd Postcard in the mail  (Read 830 times)

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Odd Postcard in the mail
« on: October 19, 2012, 11:33:51 PM »
Okay, so I got kind of an odd postcard in the mail today.

It was just a plain white postcard with a handwritten note that said
Please vote for the pro-life candidates and thank your mother for your life.

My address is unlisted, the letter has my full name including middle.

Very strange.  Thoughts?
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Odd Postcard in the mail
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:36:44 PM »
Political ad, or someone who sent one to every address.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 11:42:12 PM »
Very strange.  Thoughts?

God told them.

See Garja, you're just an evil atheist who posts on forums like WWGHA. God is trying to save you, and to your favor sent your info to those people who mailed their postcard to you.

God has all of your information.............
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:44:21 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Pounamu

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • formerly appeared as "Cadillac"
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 02:59:31 AM »
See Garja, you're just an evil atheist who posts on forums like WWGHA. God is trying to save you, and to your favor sent your info to those people who mailed their postcard to you.
I really doubt it that Garja's atheism has something to do with the whole story. I bet whoever posted it, doesn't even know Garja is a atheist (otherwise he wouldn't have posted it).  I go with Nam - most likely such a card has been sent to many other addresses. Obviously this is someone who is very, very PRO-life. It's amazing how too many Christians are so focused on problems that don't concern them personally, while they swim in a slough full of shit.

My address is unlisted...

Really?:D Do you really believe that somebody's address can be completely unlisted these days? It is simply impossoble, unless you live in a cave.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:01:14 AM by Cadillac »
Piki ake, piki ake ki te ara poutama, ki nga taumatatanga e wairua, hinengaro, tinana!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 03:11:09 AM »
He's renting Osama Bin Laden's old cave. He calls it: The Cave That One Dude Died In

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 06:43:13 AM »
He sees you when you're sleeping, He knows when you're awake.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »

Really?:D Do you really believe that somebody's address can be completely unlisted these days? It is simply impossoble, unless you live in a cave.

No, not at all but taken together it is strange.
Its from Louisiana, I live in Ohio
My address has never been publicly listed since I have lived here
When I have searched for info on myself it is not easy to find
I actually have the first and last name of a minor celebrity so searching for my name usually gets a lot of extra crap (none of it me)

I just found it really odd because for someone to get my full name and address would have taken a significant amount of work unless a.they bought someones mailing list or b.someone I know specifically gave them my address.  Its just odd and wanted to get the opinion of others... see if anyone else had gotten anything like that in the mail.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Pounamu

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • formerly appeared as "Cadillac"
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 01:35:19 AM »
When I have searched for info on myself it is not easy to find
Haha, man you're crazy I'm telling you :D Do you really believe that someone would google your name in order to find your address?

OK, your address is not publicly listed, but most likely it is privately listed - somewhere some entity has a database which contains your name, address and everything (the same of many other people). So most likely someone got an access to this database - hacked it, or payed money for it.

"Why would someone do it?" you would ask, I assume. In fact this is an old marketing trick <yawn>. I would ask you in response: "What would you do if the postcard was typewritten instead of handwritten and it didn't contain you name?" I don't know you, but I can predict with a big accuracy what you would do: you would kick it to the curb and ten minutes after you wouldn't even remember about the post card.

But now you are impressed, aren't you? They caught your attention. It makes a big difference you have to admit.

There is a little "side effect" to this approach - the recipient might get a bit scared. But who cares? Nobody gives a damn about your feelings. Fear might even "help" you to chose the "right" candidate.

And ah- one more thing. You said you live in Ohio didn't you? Check this out then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statewide_opinion_polling_for_the_United_States_presidential_election,_2012

The pre-election situation in your state seems to be pretty tied, which explains the aggressive marketing approach. Obviously, the organization that sent you the postcard is strongly dependent on the outcome of the presidential elections.   
Piki ake, piki ake ki te ara poutama, ki nga taumatatanga e wairua, hinengaro, tinana!