Author Topic: How the Moon formed  (Read 409 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
How the Moon formed
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »
Moon formation: New spins put on old questions

Scientists have put a new turn on the theory of how the Moon was created.

It has long been thought that the lunar body resulted from an impact between the early Earth and another planet-sized object 4.5 billion years ago but this theory predicts Earth and its satellite should have a quite different chemical make-up - and the data shows in fact they are very similar. Now, new modelling reveals that if the Earth had a much faster spin before the impact, the theory fits the chemistry.

It is one idea to fix the composition conundrum explored in two papers published this week by the journal Science. The giant impact hypothesis was first posited in the 1970s. It holds that the Moon formed from the debris kicked into orbit by the collision of a smaller proto-planet with the infant Earth but the early models indicated that much of this debris would have originated from the impactor, whose composition would most probably have differed substantially from that of Earth.

This is not reflected in the analysis of Earth and Moon rocks – for example, their oxygen isotope, or atom type, compositions are identical.

More at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19992233
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: How the Moon formed
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »
So, the proto-planet is where life actually came from. ;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +289/-32
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 12:40:47 PM »
So the moon has the same Oxygen isotope ratios as which part of the Earth?  They differ substantially depending on where in the Earth you look.  And the moon is a differentiated body, so its isotope distribution would have gone through a similar differentiation to that of the Earth post-formation.  We only have samples of its crust.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »
The giant impact hypothesis

All those theoretical words and numbers to remember and understand.  It's much easier to sit in my pew and be told god created a lesser light to rule the night (except during a new moon when it doesn't -- pastor says we're not to question that).
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:03:51 PM »
Silly scientists.  Probably reading those books again.  God put the moon  in place on one of those 6 days.  Can't remember which but I know He did it. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
It was on hump day.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.