Author Topic: Evidence of Jesus?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Evidence of Jesus?
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:58:10 PM »
Question:

Is there any empirical[1] evidence that Jesus of the Bible existed?

I am not asking for Historical evidence, or for people to use the Bible as evidence[2], I am looking for empirical evidence.

If an argument is presented as to how, say, Plato existed or not, I feel that's going off-topic. This isn't about Plato but Jesus.

Some atheists state that they believe Jesus existed; I used to be one of them. I find that to be a "latch" of sorts. Meaning: those of us who are former Christians still hold on to certain things of our former beliefs, even if we actually don't believe in them anymore.

For such a great man[3] to have existed there should be some sort of empirical evidence, shouldn't there?

-Nam
 1. Based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic.
 2. especially since many of the books were written by the same person, and for the fact it was written after his lifetime.
 3. topically speaking, of course.
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
Re: Evidence of Jesus?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »
Question:

Is there any empirical[1] evidence that Jesus of the Bible existed?
 1. Based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic.

No.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:08:55 PM »
No (2)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +252/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Not that I'm aware of. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:36:17 PM »
 Is there?
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:40:52 PM »
So what if there isn't. How could it ever be proved that he didn't exist?

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:49:32 PM »
No historical evidence.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 11:53:51 PM »

That's like saying, "How could it be proven Wolverine[1] didn't/doesn't exist.".

-Nam
 1. just read about the new Wolverine fil coming out next year, why I am using him as the example.
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline lomolo

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 12:56:31 AM »
No evidence at all? How do Christians respond to that claim?

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 01:27:18 AM »
No evidence at all? How do Christians respond to that claim?
By claiming there is evidence, and anybody claiming there isn't is denying what is there.

Martin Luther King Jr said it best, "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." but I don't think he was referring to Christians.

We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 05:48:21 AM »
That's like saying, "How could it be proven Wolverine[1] didn't/doesn't exist.".

-Nam
 1. just read about the new Wolverine fil coming out next year, why I am using him as the example.

There may have been a man with long fingernails that lead an interesting life that was the basis for the story of wolverine.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 06:40:21 AM »
Shroud of Turin.  The dozen or so foreskins of Jesus.  The multiple burial sites of Jesus including one in Japan.  See plenty.  &)
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 07:16:23 AM »
Empirical? Did you discover a new word and are integrating it into your vocabulary? (JK) :laugh:

Does silhouettes of him on toast and other mediums count?
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 07:22:29 AM »
Is there any empirical evidence that Jesus of the Bible existed?

No, there is no archaeological evidence or anything else of that sort, if that's what you mean.  There is almost no mention of him by any historians or chroniclers of the period, either, and the few that do exist are largely of dubious provenance.  That being said, modern-day historians and bible scholars are generally agreed that there most likely was an itinerant preacher named Jesus who was crucified as a criminal -- but not on anything else.

For such a great man to have existed there should be some sort of empirical evidence, shouldn't there?

One would certainly think so.  In my opinion, the fact that there's even any room for debate on the matter at all, let alone as much room for debate as there is, is itself an argument against the historicity of the gospels, considering the claims that they make.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 10:54:13 AM »
The reason why I used Plato as an example of what not to use is because unlike Jesus where nothing was written by him (which makes me believe he was illiterate) the works attributed to Plato are by him, and written during his time. Excluding, of course, those attributed to Plato yet may have actually been written by Socrates; though it is believed he wrote nothing.[1]

-Nam
 1. yes, I realize the irony in that.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 07:15:15 PM »
It is a logical fallacy to argue that a person didn't exist because there is no "empirical" or "historical" evidence which meets your exacting standards.

If Jesus did exist and If he was a traveling preacher, chances are he was a dime a dozen. Who is gonna write about some preacher who didn't belong to the prevailing religious order and doesn't even have a Church?

If he was considered a rebel...why would anyone in charge of keeping records glorify his deeds?

He may be popular and influential now, thanks to Peter, but it is a mistake to assume that he was popular during his time.

If he existed.

As an after thought, how do we know Peter existed?

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »
If Jesus did exist and If he was a traveling preacher, chances are he was a dime a dozen. Who is gonna write about some preacher who didn't belong to the prevailing religious order and doesn't even have a Church?

I seem to remember a story or two about walking on water, feeding thousands with a few rolls and a fish, curing diseases through touch, and upon death, the midday sky going dark, the unshakable earth shaking, and zombies rising from the grave.

Newsworthy?  Naahh - that sort of thing happened every day.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
I seem to remember a story or two about walking on water, feeding thousands with a few rolls and a fish, curing diseases through touch, and upon death, the midday sky going dark, the unshakable earth shaking, and zombies rising from the grave.

Newsworthy?  Naahh - that sort of thing happened every day.

Ever heard of the word embellish?

Edit

Of coarse the embellishment would come from those few who heard him and liked what he had to say. Not from the establishment who thought he was a miscreant.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:14:53 PM by Mr. Blackwell »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 10:20:19 PM »
Mr. Blackwell,

According to the Bible[1], the Romans punished him for breaking the law not because they feared or disliked him. It's even referenced as to how (I forget his name, Pontias Pilate, I think? I don't know.) gave the option to the Jews for him not to be crucified, and either they didn't speak up, or they just told them to do it. The only people that seemed to hate Jesus, at the time, were the Jews. Which is why for 2,000 years the stigma of "Jews killed Christ" has been around and not "The Romans killed Christ". So, the only one's, I feel, who would destroy any record of Jesus would be the Jews. So, why would such a person who could heal people, feed thousands, turn water into wine, rise from the dead, etc., not be mentioned by not only the Romans (even if insignificantly) but anyone else not Jewish?[2]

Doesn't make sense.

He wasn't just a great man after his death, not according to the NT, but during his time: yet there is nothing written about him during his time.

-Nam
 1. perhaps more implied
 2. I may be remembering the whole story wrong, please correct me if I did.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 10:23:01 PM »
mrbiscoop,

That's "Historical", I am asking for "emperical".

-Nam

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +252/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 10:48:37 PM »
According to the Bible[1], the Romans punished him for breaking the law not because they feared or disliked him. It's even referenced as to how (I forget his name, Pontias Pilate, I think? I don't know.) gave the option to the Jews for him not to be crucified, and either they didn't speak up, or they just told them to do it.
 1. perhaps more implied

If I remember, its different according to which gospel account you read. 

From what I remember, most historical accounts show Pilate was not a wishy-washy, spineless wimp.  He was a brutal ass-hole of the first degree.  He probably would have had no problem skewering Jesus on a pike.  Given that, I doubt he would have left the decision up to someone else. 

The only people that seemed to hate Jesus, at the time, were the Jews.

According to the stories, I think the Romans believed that Jesus was a trouble-maker, and that he had the potential to start riots against the Roman rule. 

Which is why for 2,000 years the stigma of "Jews killed Christ" has been around and not "The Romans killed Christ".

Again, I think it depends which gospel you read.  If I remember, (and don't quote me on this) but it was the gospel of Matthew that made it seem like the Jews were at fault more than in any other gospel.  Can anyone confirm that for me? 

So, the only one's, I feel, who would destroy any record of Jesus would be the Jews.

I really think that the religion was so small and unimportant at the start, that the Jews didn't care about the whole Jesus thing.  Probably right up until it became too big to handle, and by then, Jesus (if he existed) was long gone, and the Jews could not give solid evidence or testimony that he never existed. 

So, why would such a person who could heal people, feed thousands, turn water into wine, rise from the dead, etc., not be mentioned by not only the Romans (even if insignificantly) but anyone else not Jewish?[2]
 2. I may be remembering the whole story wrong, please correct me if I did.

My thought is that he didn't exist (at least not in the divine form that can perform miracles).  That would explain why the Romans never recorded those things.  Because he never did them. 

It's late and I'm tired.  If there are errors in what I wrote, forgive me. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 11:23:05 PM »
^see, the problem with those accounts is that we have to take the word of the individual book in the Bible that these things are true, or not. One book speaks harshly against the Jews another speaks harshly against Pilate. Too much contradiction.

Then the question becomes not if there were any empirical evidence of Jesus but that in fact any of these events actually occured?

-Nam

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 11:49:12 PM »
Trying to find evidence of a Jesus is like trying to find evidence of the exodus from Egypt - it just doesn't exist. That is the fault of the writers of the Bible, writing grandiose events when nothing happened. I think they got carried away. And, remember, who needed evidence then anyway?
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 05:27:42 PM »
I can't find any evidence of my family tree past great grandparents. Aperently my lineage just sprang up out of nowhere. Even though there is rumor that a great great grandfather operated a general store in the mountains of North Carolina.

But I guess that's just hearsay[1].
 1. heresey?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:29:18 PM by Mr. Blackwell »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 05:33:34 PM »
Mormons can probably help you.  They have records going back a long way on lots of us.  They have to baptize all those people you know.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 05:43:31 PM »
Iiiiii don't know if I trust them entirely.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 05:56:35 PM »
You can trust them to Baptise you after you die....if you're white.

-Nam

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +252/-0
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 09:08:26 PM »
I can't find any evidence of my family tree past great grandparents. Aperently my lineage just sprang up out of nowhere. Even though there is rumor that a great great grandfather operated a general store in the mountains of North Carolina.

But I guess that's just hearsay[1].
 1. heresey?

My grandmother worked on ours for many years.  She has our family tree traced all the way back to when we were fish.  BTW, everyone on this site is a distant relative of mine.