Author Topic: Ricky Gervais nails it...  (Read 746 times)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +685/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Ricky Gervais nails it...
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »
Nuf said:

Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
Re: Ricky Gervais nails it...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 03:39:06 PM »
Burn.

Seriously though I missed the news story he is referring to. Which child was shot?
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 03:39:35 PM »
+ 1 Ricky ;D
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +685/-3
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »
Burn.

Seriously though I missed the news story he is referring to. Which child was shot?

Here is the latest story about the incident, in which a 14 year old Pakistani girl was shot by the Taliban because she wanted to be able to go to school. (Note: The story says that she wasn't shot because of the education thing, but because she was conspiring with infidels. Like that makes it okay.)

The Taliban insists they did the right thing...

http://news.yahoo.com/taliban-says-attack-pakistani-schoolgirl-justified-120515479.html

Edit: Added note in first paragraph
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:58:02 PM by ParkingPlaces »

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:07:16 PM »
Burn.

A teenage activist from Pakistan, who promoted the education of girls, was shot by the Taliban.  In spite of the fact that they shot her in the head, she survived.  After a day or two in Pakistan, she was transported to England for medical treatment.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57533224/pakistani-taliban-defend-attack-on-girl-14/

Edited to add - I walk away from the computer, and PP comes and gives a better answer than me!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 04:11:49 PM »
Gervais is also really funny.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 03:47:16 AM »
That's utterly disgusting. I had seen this girls name come up on Facebook, but I completely ignored it, as I do with most viral Facebook posts.

Having actually read the article, it is very sad, very backwards and incredibly incensing. How the FUCK can it be okay to shoot a girl in the head for standing up to their moral and religious views?

Hopefully this coverage will incense the public eye enough to put pressure onto the Pakistani government to do something about it.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 06:38:35 AM »
Hopefully this coverage will incense the public eye enough to put pressure onto the Pakistani government to do something about it.

Hope is a fleeting thing when it comes to religious driven murder (or attempted murder).

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 07:25:40 AM »
How the FUCK can it be okay to shoot a girl in the head for standing up to their moral and religious views?

This is how, how religion poisons everything.

There is a belief in an unprovable thing.

The consequences for following or failing to follow this unprovable thing are infinite reward or infinite punishment.

Therefore atrocities in  the attempt to comply with they unprovable thing are justified because however evil they are, they are less than infinite.

Theists dance and dance and dance around this very central problem with all afterlife reward/punishment religion. They will avoid and misdirect and attempt to show how it isn't the case with their religion. However, no religion with a heaven and hell can escape from it.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

3sigma

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:50:36 AM »
Therefore atrocities in  the attempt to comply with they unprovable thing are justified because however evil they are, they are less than infinite.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” – Voltaire 1694–1778

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +46/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »
Not to justify the Taliban shooting the girl, for indeed, that is a vile and despicable thing.

Nonetheless, the US media is making a very big deal of this incident, all the while ignorning the fact that the USA, a supposed Christian nation,  is shooting drone bombs into Pakistan, which kill 49 civilians for every 1 alleged terrorist killed. 

So yes, Islam is very silly and, in the final estimate, evil.  But that is how I also feel about Christianity.

The crime by the Islamicists against one child is being played up, while the greater crime of industrial scale killing of thousands, committed by the USA, is being studiously ignored. 

I love Ricky Gervais, but the context of this event is quite fascinating.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
You're comparing Sexual[1] intolerance to, essentially, war? I guess if I squinted my eyes a bit, I could see the comparison.

-Nam
 1. women's rights
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +685/-3
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
Not to justify the Taliban shooting the girl, for indeed, that is a vile and despicable thing.

Nonetheless, the US media is making a very big deal of this incident, all the while ignorning the fact that the USA, a supposed Christian nation,  is shooting drone bombs into Pakistan, which kill 49 civilians for every 1 alleged terrorist killed. 

You make a good point, flapdoodle. Sadly, incidents like this girl getting shot and other atrocities that some muslims commit make it easier for some to justify drones and other bad decisions.

An aside: I never have figured out how muslims can say that everything is god's will, then get mad about it.