Author Topic: Cardboard bicycle  (Read 514 times)

Offline shnozzola

Cardboard bicycle
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:35:14 PM »
An Israeli inventor has come up with a way to make a bicycle almost entirely out of cardboard — and so inexpensively that he thinks retailers would only need to charge about $20 for one.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/10/15/162949884/for-about-20-cardboard-bicycle-could-change-the-world-inventor-says
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Cardboard bicycle
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 07:36:14 PM »
What happens when it rains?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +509/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »
He thought of that - it's waterproof. A really clever idea. I was wondering how the thing is driven - a chain-drive? That can't be cardboard. And what of the bearings needed for the crank spindle?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
Fantastic! They'd make decent rentals in an inner city. And when its usable life comes to an end...

...You can re-cycle it.

I'm actually slightly ashamed of that one.  :-[
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:06:14 AM »
He thought of that - it's waterproof. A really clever idea. I was wondering how the thing is driven - a chain-drive? That can't be cardboard. And what of the bearings needed for the crank spindle?

It's obviously not ENTIRELY cardboard. But there is really not much benefit to this. In fact, it would just cause more detriment to the tree population, and metal (steel and aluminum) bicycles can already be recycled... Besides price (and weight), I don't immediately see the benefit to this.
http://www.imaginarygod.com

My book designed to ease kids into healthy skepticism is available for pre-order. http://www.peterskeeter.com

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 10:30:34 AM »

It's obviously not ENTIRELY cardboard. But there is really not much benefit to this. In fact, it would just cause more detriment to the tree population, and metal (steel and aluminum) bicycles can already be recycled... Besides price (and weight), I don't immediately see the benefit to this.

Cardboard poses no danger to the tree population. Pulp trees are fast grown trees (that while may give crappy wildlife habitats at least suck up CO2) on tree farms; these tree farms wouldn't exist except of the paper and cardboard industry.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +509/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
But there is really not much benefit to this.
Very cheap, very light. Aluminium and steel both take vast amounts of energy to smelt and mould.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »
I knew a guy in High School, as a Science project, made a chair entirely out of tooth picks (a shitload of them). He designed it to fit his exact weight. When he presented it to the teacher, he sat on it, and it didn't break. But when he got up, the teacher sat on it, and it broke. He got an "F". He tried to explain to the teacher that he made it to his weight, and not all weights but the teacher flunked him anyway probably because the class laughed at him.

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:37:24 PM by Nam »
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey