Author Topic: Help..  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Re: Help..
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2012, 08:11:35 PM »
The cool thing about it was the more people he told the more atheist he met. I honestly had no idea there were so many non believers in this area ...

I'm starting to realize that most people are just scared. They are just as afraid of discussing atheism in the south as I am. But it's not gonna get better if we are afraid of the bigotry ...

I agree. The problem is that you have to have a critical mass of people who stand up at once and say enough is enough. Too many people who think like us also think that the other side might be right -- when 2 billion people think the same way, you sometimes wonder how all of them can be so wrong.

But I don't think we should tell each other to run and hide as if the Christian mobs are going to come around eating our babies. That's our job.

That depends on who is surrounding you. Athletics tends to attract conservative people, or maybe just the more vocal ones. Religion is the same. Mix the two together and it can be toxic.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2012, 08:57:42 PM »
Athletics tends to attract conservative people, or maybe just the more vocal ones. Religion is the same. Mix the two together and it can be toxic.

How dare you disenfranchise the voices of all the liberal Christians and Catholics who continue to provide sanctuary for illegal immigrants.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Schizoid

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »
Thanks for the post Schizoid..I hope your Goddaughter is doing better.

I am sincerely sorry if my post offended anyone, that was not my intent.  :-X

Thanks.  She seems to be doing better, making friends at her AA/NA meetings, but nothing from the church visit.  I went to that church many years ago when it was meeting in high school auditoriums.  Now it is huge with hundreds and hundreds of members and a weekly budget need of $33,000 and the week before they collected $70,000.

We went and saw lots of friendly and happy people among themselves and those they knew.  In the more than hour and a half that we were there nobody approached my goddaughter (a tall and attractive young lady) and introduced themselves or said "hi" or "welcome to our church" or recognized her as new and maybe invited her out for coffee afterwards.  Nobody really spoke to us at all.  It was a good service and the pastor (dressed in jeans and a nice pullover shirt) was an interesting speaker and made good points within the context of what I know he believed.

I have learned to keep my atheism to myself (especially since I work for a Christian homeless shelter, and freely took the job knowing that I would need to hold my tongue--they do well with the homeless and there is no preaching or religious pressure).   I'll say this, I've never been called "sir" so many times in all my life by not only members of the staff but by many of the homeless as well.

Ironically the one person with whom I can freely share about my beliefs at work is my coworker and direct supervisor who is a devout Christian.  He finds me fascinating because I know the Bible and can talk with him concerning it and I challenge his beliefs in a friendly way and I think he finds that stimulating because we respect each other's beliefs (he can easily do this with me because he believes that since I was once a practicing Christian who had accepted Jesus as my savior then I was saved whether I liked it or not and there's nothing I can do about it--like I'd be dragged into heaven kicking and screaming).

One thing I am proud of, particularly coming from the standpoint of being an atheist compared to a religious person, is that my goddaughter has told me that I am the most moral person she has ever known and that she looks up to me and she knows that I am an atheist.  I kept my beliefs to myself with her for many years until she reached an age where I felt I could be completely honest with her and was not too surprised that she felt much the same way herself.

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2012, 07:10:51 AM »
Thanks Mr. Blackwell...I do think that you are correct regarding my daughter and the amount of discrimination she might encounter. So far (we have only been here 2 months) she has found a softball team she loves and seems to have made quite a few new friends in school. The transition was not as difficult as I had imagined it would be for her.
The true test will be if I can just keep my opinions to myself!  ;D

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2012, 07:22:03 AM »
Schizoid..I am glad your God daughter has made some new friends and hope that she find peace within herself. I will say that aa/na is a program that I have serious reservation with but if she can manage to see past the obvious religious bullshit and stay focused on one member supporting another she will do just fine. You appear to be a great source of strength for her, I do believe her assessment of you is spot on.

Offline Gohavesomefun

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
Are things getting easier/better Madeline?
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. ”
A. Einstein

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »
I will say that aa/na is a program that I have serious reservation with but if she can manage to see past the obvious religious bullshit and stay focused on one member supporting another she will do just fine.

More we agree about! Too bad you didn't move to TN!?! :D
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »
Things are moving forward Gohavesomefun, as to easier/better that is still up in the air. I am relieved that the transition has been fairly smooth for my daughter but I seem to be questioning my decision as of late. Par for the course I assume. I am optimistic that this feeling will pass in due time. Thanks for asking!

Funny Kimberly I actually thought about TN!