Author Topic: War on Christmas...2012  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
War on Christmas...2012
« on: October 12, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
I was in Wal-Mart today.  Not surprised that the Christmas stuff was already up but when I heard Christmas music already being played I thought it was a bit much.  It is early Oct.  I feelsorry for the employees who have to listen to that for the next 10+ weeks.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Re: War on Christmas...2012
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:12:47 PM »
I was in Wal-Mart today.  Not surprised that the Christmas stuff was already up but when I heard Christmas music already being played I thought it was a bit much.  It is early Oct.  I feelsorry for the employees who have to listen to that for the next 10+ weeks.

In a Macy's in a shopping center I like to hang out at sometimes, they put out this little mechanical dancing Santa Claus that plays "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" on an endless loop.  Just passing thru that part of the store drives me crazy, especially since I hate that song so much.  I can't imagine what it must be like to be an employee there.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
  • Apatheist
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 01:44:19 PM »
I retained my love for Christmas music. It was such a big part of my childhood that I can't stop myself from feeling that Christmas vibe when a good Christmas song comes on.

That being said it's not even Halloween yet! It's a bit early no?
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 03:02:37 PM »
The War on Christmas started? Damn, it starts earlier every year. Need to get out my rifles and clean 'em up before I go xians hunting.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »
I can beat that: there's an Ice Cream truck that drives around my neighborhood for the past year now, and all it plays are Christmas songs (not Santa/Reindeer songs, the "gospel" kind). Drives me nuts, at times. But luckily it's only once ore twice a week that it's in my neighborhood.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »
I retained my love for Christmas music.

No doubt.  Some is pretty awful, as the above mentioned  "rocking around..." and several others are absolutely horrific, but some are genuinely good.  Hell even some of the gospel stuff is pretty good.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:05:09 PM »
My newest problem with Christmas music is the lyrics.  Some of my favorite songs make my stomach turn when I consider the lyrics.  I still love the chords and melodies though.  Sigh.

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 06:40:20 AM »
I can beat that: there's an Ice Cream truck that drives around my neighborhood for the past year now, and all it plays are Christmas songs (not Santa/Reindeer songs, the "gospel" kind). Drives me nuts, at times. But luckily it's only once ore twice a week that it's in my neighborhood.

-Nam

Steven Wright said that the ice cream truck in his neighborhood played "Helter Skelter".
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 11:27:43 AM »
^Better than Gospel.

-Nam

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 04:44:33 AM »
I retained my love for Christmas music. It was such a big part of my childhood that I can't stop myself from feeling that Christmas vibe when a good Christmas song comes on.

That being said it's not even Halloween yet! It's a bit early no?

Me too, though my memories start when my (ex-)wife and I had children.  Regardless, the imagery that those songs evoke, even those that praise jesus, comes through as childhood-like.  I was a xian during that time, and I remember receiving those songs with enthusiasm.  I do not do so now, but I can remember when I did.  I may have 'grown up', but I still fondly remember such things.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 06:30:19 AM »

Early October? That's quite late compared to here. When I got back from Germany in early August I found Tesco already had their Christmas stock out. Thankfully they weren't playing Christmas tunes. I like Christmas, but I don't like it over done and naturally, I hate Christmas songs, except of course Rob Halford's Christmas Album and Twisted Sister's Christmas album too, however, I don't see any stores playing them. It'll be the same crap they play every year. But Tim Minchin has a strong following and his Christmas song was really good and I think people in the UK are less sensitive about people promoting a secular Christmas.

You'll know when I'm in the Christmas spirit when I start posting metal covers of Christmas songs. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV-SpT69IZ8

But now it's all about Halloween, Christmas is still miles off.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »
^Nice
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »
The war on christmas? They started it. In the sense that christmas music is "drone" warfare.

I hope somebody gets my joke.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
I hate Christmas songs, except of course Rob Halford's Christmas Album and Twisted Sister's Christmas album too, however, I don't see any stores playing them.

So you don't like Trans-Siberian Orchestra? I mean I can understand hating Christmas music, but this is one talented Christmas themed band!

As for the holiday itself, I really don't care for it. It's kind of hard to get involved with holidays when you have to work even on those days.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +786/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »

-Nam

Steven Wright said that the ice cream truck in his neighborhood played "Helter Skelter".

That's what made him like he is.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +786/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 08:38:38 PM »
The war on christmas? They started it. In the sense that christmas music is "drone" warfare.

I hope somebody gets my joke.

Ha ha.

I was hoping that the war on Christmas was at least as permanent as our real wars.

As for xmas music, several years in retail ruined me forever. It was the damn Barbara Streisand Sings Christmas album that put the nail in the coffin. She sang "Jingle Bells" like she was on speed.

I can still tolerate the Barenaked Ladies Christmas Album, though. They have several "I hate Christmas" type songs, one really funny one about elves going on strike and something for the Jewish holidays.

A few weeks ago there was already xmas stuff for sale at Costco. When it's not even Halloween yet, you have to wonder how the "war on Christmas" people can keep a straight face.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline on:bread:alone

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »

-Nam

if i didn't know better, i'd say we must live in the same neighborhood.
i'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm.

please, check out www.letsgetrational.com

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
If you live in west Orange county, Florida, maybe we do.

-Nam

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »
I'm all for a war o Christmas, but I don't think I could afford the postage if I had to put a hand grenade in every christmas card I sent.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 02:44:08 PM »
Send it without postage that way they'd have to pay the postage. Done all the time where i live, with various family members who are either too cheap, or actually can't afford to buy so many at once.

-Nam

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 08:07:42 AM »
If you live in west Orange county, Florida, maybe we do.

-Nam

<- mid pinellas. not entirely unfathomable.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 09:08:54 AM »
I hate Christmas songs, except of course Rob Halford's Christmas Album and Twisted Sister's Christmas album too, however, I don't see any stores playing them.

So you don't like Trans-Siberian Orchestra? I mean I can understand hating Christmas music, but this is one talented Christmas themed band!

I'll make an exception for that one. ;)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Onesimus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • Endlessly striving to be a happy cartoon bear.
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »
After several years of ignoring Christmas while living alone, and now being in central Florida where it's not going to dip below 60 degrees, I have a feeling I may need some Christmas-izing this year.  I'm with NoGods on the Barenaked Ladies, but I've been a fan of them forever anyway.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 10:17:42 AM »
I hate Christmas songs, except of course Rob Halford's Christmas Album and Twisted Sister's Christmas album too,
You'll know when I'm in the Christmas spirit when I start posting metal covers of Christmas songs. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV-SpT69IZ8

you might like this, then:

http://www.amazon.com/Merry-Axemas-Various-Artists/dp/B000002BP3

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again,Fuck every holiday that causes my kids to expect me to spend money on a bunch of bullshit.

Christmas, Halloween, Valentines day, Easter
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline madeline

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 11:28:52 AM »
LOL Tell us how you really feel Mr. Blackwell..

I use to get rather peeved that "Santa" always got the credit for all my hard work on Christmas. Wish I could have sent my Master Card bill to the North Pole.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »
After several years of ignoring Christmas while living alone, and now being in central Florida where it's not going to dip below 60 degrees, I have a feeling I may need some Christmas-izing this year.  I'm with NoGods on the Barenaked Ladies, but I've been a fan of them forever anyway.

You must live in the special part of Central Florida, where it's always hot 'cause some years it gets down to the high 20's lower 30's around Christmas. Hell, it's 55 this morning where I live.

-Nam

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 12:29:07 PM »

You must live in the special part of Central Florida, where it's always hot 'cause some years it gets down to the high 20's lower 30's around Christmas. Hell, it's 55 this morning where I live.

-Nam

i also live in that special part of central florida. i remember once in 88 it "sleeted," but you had to hold out black construction paper to see it, and save for like three other experinces, i don't think i've ever seen it get below 35-40 here.

Offline Onesimus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • Endlessly striving to be a happy cartoon bear.
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »
I'm within shouting distance of the Mouse, so...