Author Topic: We don't want atheist agenda  (Read 743 times)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
We don't want atheist agenda
« on: October 12, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »
http://www.ldnews.com/letterseditor/ci_21757070/we-dont-want-atheist-agenda
In 1917, the Bolsheviks overthrew the Russian government and seized total power. The elimination of religious belief was the core element in their revolutionary program.

Immediately, churches were closed, Bibles were banned, and Christians became enemies of the state, resulting in imprisonment and execution.

A tiny handful of churches remained open for propaganda purposes. The Russian people suffered under the tyranny of atheistic communism.

This same scenario took place under Mao Zedong in China and Fidel Castro in Cuba and is happening throughout the world today. People of faith suffer when godless atheism has the reins.

My point is this: When the Coalition of American Atheists meets, it's not for fun, food and fellowship. They have an agenda. They're bedfellows with the American Civil Liberties Union, whose ultimate goal, through their misinterpretation of separation of church and state, is the abolition of prayer and Bible reading from public institutions, the removal of "In God We Trust" from our currency and the deposition of all Bible inscriptions from government buildings.

Nativities would be a crime against the state, as would the posting of the Ten Commandments.

The Humanist Manifesto would reign over God and the Bible, and America would fall under the control of godless atheism.

I honestly believe that the movement of the Coalition of American of Free Thinkers and the ACLU is the most sinister campaign in America today.

Regardless, God's love is unchanging, and His offer of salvation applies to everyone.
I ask, when is the Church of Jesus Christ going to awaken from its apathy? "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." (Psalms 33:12.)

HOMER SNAVELY
CLEONA

What a mish mash of non sequiturs, bad company fallacies, straw man attacks, ad homs, and equivocations on what "public" means.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: We don't want atheist agenda
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." (Psalms 33:12.)

Pardon my ignorance, but what the fuck does that mean? Is there a piece missing? I though god is the lord?
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 12:23:20 PM »
Look at how many many churches there are in this country.  In some towns one almost on every block.  They can put up nativity scenes until the "Holy" cows come home and its fine.  Just don't do it on public grounds.  Why do Christians find the need to do this?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »
Heh.  The author had me at "godless atheists."  Classic!!!   ;D

it's like WASP.  Ever meet an Anglo-Saxon who wasn't white???  They're "ASPs."   :police:
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." (Psalms 33:12.)

Pardon my ignorance, but what the fuck does that mean? Is there a piece missing? I though god is the lord?

In the original Hebrew in this verse, "Lord" is IHVH, which is rendered in most translation as either "Lord" or "LORD".  A more accurate translation would be "Yahweh", which is the name most freethinkers use when talking about the biblical deity.

In any event, I think the psalm means that a nation is blessed if it worships Yahweh, rather than any other deity (fictional or not).  It's ambiguous, though, and open to interpretation.  Shocking when it comes to scripture, I know, but there it is.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +707/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 01:13:42 PM »
I cannot believe there is actually a person named "Homer Snavely".  That just does not happen.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »
Crap, nobody told me that we're supposed to be conspiring. I don't know if I have time for that. You guys will have to go ahead and be revolting without me.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 02:48:36 PM »
It just pisses me off that someone let the "black" cat out of the bag.  Such care was taken to protect the agenda.  So does this mean the "family friendly" baby BBQ is off?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
In the original Hebrew in this verse, "Lord" is IHVH, which is rendered in most translation as either "Lord" or "LORD".  A more accurate translation would be "Yahweh", which is the name most freethinkers use when talking about the biblical deity.

In any event, I think the psalm means that a nation is blessed if it worships Yahweh, rather than any other deity (fictional or not).  It's ambiguous, though, and open to interpretation.  Shocking when it comes to scripture, I know, but there it is.

Thanks, that makes sense now. It sounded so redundant. My HS teacher had an easier time explaining Shakespeare to me.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +197/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 03:09:53 PM »
Hey Nick, the BBQ is still on, it's just been moved to a different location. No worries, we'll still be enjoying our babies.

I was thinking maybe we could try deep frying a few. Anybody have access to a turkey fryer? I have a smoker attached to my grill, any interest in that?
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +197/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 03:17:10 PM »
As usual, the church side is overlooking a very important little detail - the separation of Church and State is a two-way street. I went ahead and reminded the author in the comment section, so I'm sure he'll factor that in the next time he publicly takes an asinine position.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
Thanks, that makes sense now. It sounded so redundant.

Yes, it does sound strange.  It sounds kind of weird in other places, too, though.  Try reading the World English Bible translation of Genesis 2, for example.  It constantly refers to him as "Yahweh God", which is kind of like constantly referring to the American president as "Obama Human".  I assume that it's due to some kind of linguistic convention that the ancient Hebrews had but that we don't.

The IHVH thing, by the way, is called the Tetragrammaton, and is one of the more amusing aspects of Christianity in my opinion.  It's the name of the deity that Christians all worship, and they can't even agree on what his name actually is.  Some use "LORD" (in all capitals, to distinguish IHVH from other uses of the word "Lord", I assume), but the preferred term these days among skeptics and some others is "Yahweh".  Another one, which you've probably heard of, is "Jehovah".  And I had a roommate once who insisted that God's name was "Christ", which is even more ridiculous than any other position because Christ's name wasn't even Christ; Christ isn't a name, it's a title.

My HS teacher had an easier time explaining Shakespeare to me.

It's kind of a toss-up which is more gibberish-y.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »
I love it when religious people (mainly Christians) mention "atheism" their first goto is "Communism". As if both are synonymous with each other? Also, Cuba maybe "atheistic" but its people are all mainly Catholics. And, the government allows them to be Catholics. (Though, I believe only since the late 80's early 90's).

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »
Homer Snavely missed out "eating babies" - I don't think he did his research very well.

I cannot believe there is actually a person named "Homer Snavely".  That just does not happen.
O ye of little faith.. http://www.86802.com/yp/pa/6766145.html
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:02:18 PM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”