Author Topic: Protestants  (Read 601 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Protestants
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:24:20 AM »
Read a report in the paper today there they said for the 1st time in our history Protestants are not the majority in the country.  They are at 48% now.  I guess those who don't claim any denomination is on the raise.  I was hoping it was those who did not buy into the sky daddy theory.

This may make Protestant preachers more bat a$$ crazy as they try to turn the tide.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
Re: Protestants
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:22:11 AM »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=162542720

crack open the champaigne

For the first time in its history, the United States does not have a Protestant majority, according to a new study. One reason: The number of Americans with no religious affiliation is on the rise.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:03:23 PM »
Wiki needs to update its page.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:06:49 PM »
Read a report in the paper today there they said for the 1st time in our history Protestants are not the majority in the country.  They are at 48% now.

Is that the same 47-48% Romney was talking about?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »
Probably.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
The trend also has political implications. American voters who describe themselves as having no religion vote overwhelmingly for Democrats. Pew found Americans with no religion support abortion rights and gay marriage at a much higher-rate than the U.S. public at large. These "nones" are an increasing segment of voters who are registered as Democrats or lean toward the party, growing from 17 percent to 24 percent over the last five years. The religiously unaffiliated are becoming as important a constituency to Democrats as evangelicals are to Republicans, Pew said.

nice

"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 12:34:05 AM »
It's a nice trend, but I doubt it will have any political impact in the near future.  It probably indicates an increase in the number of people willing to admit to non-belief, rather than an actual increase in non-believers.  The same people have had the same world-view, whether they were in the closet or out.

Long term, any shift towards the number of people admitting non-belief will be good, because their public presence will encourage others to think differently about their own beliefs, and that will change the actual demographics.

Who am I kidding?  I don't understand people anymore.  I just don't.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 11:28:08 AM »
People are what you see in the mirror.

INam

Offline Ed

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 05:48:37 PM »
Read a report in the paper today there they said for the 1st time in our history Protestants are not the majority in the country.  They are at 48% now.  I guess those who don't claim any denomination is on the raise.  I was hoping it was those who did not buy into the sky daddy theory.

This may make Protestant preachers more bat a$$ crazy as they try to turn the tide.

Protestant Christians make up 48%, what percentage does Catholic Christians make up?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »
I think Catholics make up 25%.

-Nam

3sigma

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 06:45:51 PM »
Protestant Christians make up 48%, what percentage does Catholic Christians make up?

Catholics make up 22% of the population, a decline of 1% from 2007. Protestants have declined by 5% since 2007. Other faiths (Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.) have risen by 2%, but the largest increase (4.3%) is in the unaffiliateds. However, that doesn’t mean that atheism is on the rise[1]—most of the unaffiliateds still believe in a god or universal spirit.

You can see a summary of the report here or you can download the full report (PDF 1.37 MB).
 1. it is, but only by 0.8% to a mere 2.4% of the population

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 06:48:45 PM »
I was off by 3%. Ain't bad.

-Nam