Author Topic: Hello there  (Read 616 times)

Offline TheSadCat

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Hello there
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:09:45 AM »
Hello everyone! I am a Rational Person and like most of you all, come from a religious family (in my case, my mother is pagan and my father is christian). After watching WWGHA, I confirmed my gut suspicions about everything that was being spread about all around me-that it was crap.

I have a question about how you do things around here. I was reading some threads where some members were having a discussion with a christian. For example, there was a thread where two members were discussing whether or not morality could exist without god. One poster's (MathIsCool) argument was, If God exists, then morality exists. As you all know (because holy crap there are some brilliant people here), this is a conditional. If you deny the first part, the second does not follow. The poster (I believe was Timo) did not do this, and instead tried reductio. However, this is not an isolated case; many of the christians that post here beg the question, that is to say, they explain away problems about god by assuming somewhere that god exists (please correct me if I do not have that right) and the posters that respond often respond to the logical problems, but it seems like you could simply say, "evidence please?" For example, "By saying that 'evil' is simply 'lack of god's goodness,' you are assuming that god exists. Please provide evidence for god."

Thank you for responding.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +750/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Hello there
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:24:21 AM »
Welcome TheSadCat

Hope you enjoy the site. Your post here was more of a discussion question than an introduction, and we try to avoid issues in this section, mostly out of courtesy to the new members. A few comments along with other welcomes will probably be okay, but if this turns into a discussion thread, and especially of theists join in with their POV, one of us mods will probably move it to another section.

No worries though. Just wanted to give you a heads up along with my welcome. And don't worry, I'm not actually an anal retentive person, I just play one on the Internet.  ;D

Edit: Spelling
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline TheSadCat

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:31:22 AM »
I apologize. I did not want to create a debate as per the rules laid out in the sticky, but wanted to know the mechanics behind the practical reasoning employed here. Rereading my post, I find that I did not make this very clear.

Thank you for your welcome, and if you have to move the topic, I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +750/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:07:56 AM »
I apologize. I did not want to create a debate as per the rules laid out in the sticky, but wanted to know the mechanics behind the practical reasoning employed here. Rereading my post, I find that I did not make this very clear.

Thank you for your welcome, and if you have to move the topic, I am sorry for the inconvenience.

It isn't inconvenient. We push a few buttons and poof, its moved. And things will probably go just fine. We just try to avoid serious discussions here. A few comments won't hurt a thing.

Heck, I'll even start. We've tried everything but mouth to mouth. Including asking for evidence. We're usually just happy if we get get them to stop continuously praising Jesus and the cross he rode in on. And our biggest problem around here with theists isn't what they say, but rather it is trying to figure out what the heck brand of christianity they've concocted. No two are the same and none can just come out and give us an overview of their personalized version. No, they have to toy with us, as they use buzzwords and analogies and write in anagrams. So confusion usually reigns as they make their proclamations and move their goal posts. By the end of day three, evidence is the least of our concerns.

There, that will make one of the other mods move it. How fun was that?
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +77/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
Welcome, SadCat. Hope you enjoy your time here.

I'm curious, if you're willing to indulge me: what kind of a "pagan" is your mother?

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum, TheSadCat.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline TheSadCat

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »
Welcome, SadCat. Hope you enjoy your time here.

I'm curious, if you're willing to indulge me: what kind of a "pagan" is your mother?

The kind where any god that fits the bill to pray to works, and that particular gods offer support for different kinds of magic. She's not "Norse Pagan" or anything specific. I have various books on the occult as a result. Probably know far more about it than is really appropriate...though I do have a bad ass wand and robe. I'm a wizard, Harry.