Poll

For Christians: What does "exists" mean to you in the phrase "God exists"?

This poll is currently locked.
0 (0%)
It will be unlocked but I need your help.
0 (0%)
Please look at the first message for details.
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: For Christians: What are you talking about God "exists"?!?! (SEE POLL!)  (Read 853 times)

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
I'm asking for input in building this poll.  Initially, it will be LOCKED.

If you are a Christian, I am specifically interested in what you think the word exists means in the phrase "God exists".

As examples of possible answers are presented by anyone (Christian or not, theist or not), the list will be fleshed out.

When it looks like few if any new suggestions are being made, the poll will be UNLOCKED, an announcement will be made, and voting will start.

Note that this poll is limited to the Christian deity and does not address any other potential deities.

Current list (objections, suggested additions, and clarifications are appreciated);

The word "exists" in "God exists" is possibly one or more of the following;

Concepts exist.
Emotions exist.
Inanimate objects exists.
Living non-human creatures exist.
Living humans exist.

Edit: Added list.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 07:58:17 PM by Hermes »
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline pilgrim

Re: For Christians: What are you talking about God "exists"?!?! (SEE POLL!)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 01:26:48 PM »
Hermes -

What does it mean that God exists?  Really, it means the same thing as when we say any other thing exists: "To have objective reality or being."  There is nothing particularly abstract or fishy about the notion that God exists.  To say God exists is simply to say, "He is."  Or as Francis Schaeffer put it, "He is there and He is not silent."

Maybe a point of confusion for the atheist is that the Bible tells us, "God is a spirit."  What is a spirit?  I don't rightly know, but what we can deduce is that "spirit stuff" is not in any way similar or relatable to matter, energy, mass, etc., in its basic expression. 

But don't let such otherworldly descriptors complicate the issue of existence.  To say God exists is not fundamentally any different than saying you exist.  Or that I exist.  The basic definition of existence applies to God in no more or less the same way as it applies to anything or anyone else.

Blessings,
The Pilgrim
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 01:29:03 PM by pilgrim »

Offline Disciple of Christ

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • "The LORD is my shepherd." - Psalm 23
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 01:42:28 PM »

If you are a Christian, I am specifically interested in what you think the word exists means in the phrase "God exists".

As examples of possible answers are presented by anyone (Christian or not, theist or not), the list will be fleshed out.

When it looks like few if any new suggestions are being made, the poll will be UNLOCKED, an announcement will be made, and voting will start.

Note that this poll is limited to the Christian deity and does not address any other potential deities.

Edit: Minor paragraph change.

God exists, therefore he is, he has always been, and he shall never die, (according to scripture.) Something had to exist in order to kick-start human life. However, science can explain how it began, but they can't explain why it began, nor if God made it possible. The Scientists that tell us, "No supernatural deity was needed in order to create the universe" are talking sheer and utter nonsense! The God of the Bible is the only God that has said he existed before the beginning of space and time. If God didn't exist, we wouldn't be here having this discussion.
Luke 7:22 - "Go on your way, and tell John what things you have seen and heard; How that the Blind see, the Lame have walked, the Lepers are cleansed, the Deaf hear, the Dead are raised, to the Poor the Gospel is preached." - Jesus Christ 33 A.D.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +289/-32
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 01:43:38 PM »
DoC, that doesn't address the OP.  This thread isn't about arguing that god does or does not exist.  It's about defining what "exists" means in the first place.  Care to answer?
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 06:44:20 PM »
Thank you all for your answers so far.  Keep them coming!
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline I KILLED JEBUS

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Beware of the Army of the 12 monkeys
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 06:51:50 PM »

Edit: Minor paragraph change.

God exists, therefore he is, he has always been, and he shall never die, (according to scripture.) Something had to exist in order to kick-start human life. However, science can explain how it began, but they can't explain why it began, nor if God made it possible. The Scientists that tell us, "No supernatural deity was needed in order to create the universe" are talking sheer and utter nonsense! The God of the Bible is the only God that has said he existed before the beginning of space and time. If God didn't exist, we wouldn't be here having this discussion.

By your own admitting,you have said that the bible is not the word of god but inspired by god,so if it wasnt written "by god" how can it be accurate?
Bow down my hairy children and behold the world I have laid out for you,walk away from your electronic devices and listen to the sounds of nature. Tear from you the ties that bind you to your pathetic existance,walk back into the woods with me and we shall feast on the bounty I have left
Sasquatch

Offline Bruce the Duck

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 07:43:24 PM »
I'm not a Christian.  I'm an atheist, but I'd like to throw out an idea of what "God exists" could mean.  A way that actually would be accepted as factual by most logical atheists.

One alternate meaning of "God exists" is to say that God, as an idea, exists.  No, there is no ACTUAL being, God.  But God exists as an extremely powerful force in the imaginations of humans across the entire planet.  "God exists" in the same way that Superman, Santa Claus, and Mickey Mouse exist.  Are any of them actual beings?  Of course not.  But they have had an immeasurable impact on the world, much moreso than most ACTUAL beings.  So in that sense, God does exist, and will no doubt ALWAYS exist, as long as their are humans to imagine him. 

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 07:59:07 PM »
The OP has been updated with a beginning list of possibilities.

Offline GetMeThere

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 01:35:55 PM »
I think, at the end of the day, "rational" believers will resolve toward the concept that god "exists" in a realm where existence can't be measured or detected by (at least live) people, and from that realm, god can influence OUR realm--through a process that doesn't require any existence or demonstrable manifestation in this realm.

Thus god remains perfectly ineffable and unfathomable, and his other-worldly existence can be evidenced only by those who "know it" because they "know it."

....and....apparently, only ANCIENT people had a "knowing" that was explicit and general enough to transcribe commands and holy histories; and modern people can have only "knowings" which
1) Inform them that ancient knowers were genuine.
2) Inform them about personal aspects of their present lives
3) but can NOT have knowings of general information to be shared with a wider audience (a rule from which god exempts two classes of people: TV evangelists, and schizophrenics).

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • DON'T PRESS THAT BUTTON!
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 08:41:44 PM »
Hermes.. Just wondering.. Is this going to evolve into a game of forum Xtian dodge ball? They dodge your question...you keep asking, they keep dodging, you keep asking and so on until you finally nail one? Make em play dead till you nail every one of them. :D (kidding of course)
Imagine gaining favor with "Darwin's"...kind of like praying, huh?

http://freeclassicflix.co.cc