Author Topic: Religion likes to downgrade your intelligence  (Read 1585 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +683/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: Religion likes to downgrade your intelligence
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »
Unfortunately, there are some phoney pastors who preach lies.

I totally agree Ed. 

How do you tell the phoney ones from the genuine ones?

I have a method which I will share with you.  But tell me how you do it first.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »
More and more I am coming to believe that they are all phoney.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »
More and more I am coming to believe that they are all phoney.

My avatar picture tells the truth:
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »
Truth is all relative.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 12:57:35 AM »
None of us are the least bit surprised when a batshit crazy preacher dreams up this kind of trash.

Have you ever wondered whether the preachers actually believe that kind of stuff? Does he invent that stuff for the express purpose of confounding his congregation? Did he get his information from a vision in which god gave him instructions to broadcast a dire warning? What makes these guys tick?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 01:13:15 AM »
^your money.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Aceluffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 07:11:35 AM »

In the book of Mormon, and in the Bible (not as much as in the Book of Mormon), it states that black people used to be white people but they sinned so much and angered Biblegod that he turned them black (read about Ham), and if black people just repent Biblegod will turn them white once again. Now, the pastors could've (and perhaps did) use such nonsense in concern to all things "black" but it really stemmed from slavery, and how they felt blacks were going to "conquer" them with their savagery, and take away the poor southerners civility. You know, politics, raping the "white woman" and all that nonsense.

Just more propaganda.

-Nam

Can you please show me what verse in the bible said something about this whole "black because of sin" nonsense ?
If we were made in His image, then why aren't humans invisible too?

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »
Can you please show me what verse in the bible said something about this whole "black because of sin" nonsense ?

It doesn't, at least, not specifically.  The verse most commonly cited in support of this doctrine is the "mark of Cain".  Some, including the Mormons, believe that the "mark" was black skin, and that therefore all black people are "sons of Cain" or something like that.  It's a bit of a stretch, obviously.  I believe the Book of Mormon is more explicit regarding this matter, but since I haven't read it yet and haven't researched the matter, I can't say for sure.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Aceluffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 07:54:16 AM »

It doesn't, at least, not specifically.  The verse most commonly cited in support of this doctrine is the "mark of Cain".  Some, including the Mormons, believe that the "mark" was black skin, and that therefore all black people are "sons of Cain" or something like that.  It's a bit of a stretch, obviously.  I believe the Book of Mormon is more explicit regarding this matter, but since I haven't read it yet and haven't researched the matter, I can't say for sure.

Thanks.

I have several African American co-workers that are on the brink of becoming non-believers, but still afraid to let go of their tradition. I figure by showing them certain verses about this ridiculous racism in the bible, they will be more inclined to let go of Cristianity alltogether and start thinking for themselves.

Well, never mind, I still have hundreds of other crazy verses to show them.
If we were made in His image, then why aren't humans invisible too?

3sigma

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 08:23:57 AM »

Here’s something from the Book of Mormon for you.

Quote from: Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 5:21-24
21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

22 And thus saith the Lord God: I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities.

23 And cursed shall be the seed of him that mixeth with their seed; for they shall be cursed even with the same cursing. And the Lord spake it, and it was done.

24 And because of their cursing which was upon them they did become an idle people, full of mischief and subtlety, and did seek in the wilderness for beasts of prey.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
Aceluffy,

Genesis 9:20-27. Though, it should be pointed out: it wasn't anything Ham did; it was actually Canaan but for some reason Ham was blamed. But by many Biblical scholars "Ham is the reason people have black skin". It's a "curse". Meaning: it's racism.

Basically, it's a justification for slavery, and only of black people.

I think even the Talmud (sp?) Mentions the significance of it all. Something about Biblegod (or Talmudgod) turning Ham's skin black because he had sex on the Ark, or something.

There are many interpretations. But they all seem to come down to: black people are evil.

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:49:58 AM by Nam »

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »
I just saw a pastor on the TV saying people shouldn't use the internet because the devil controls it.

In other words, they want people to not have access to information outside the bible so they become mindless followers.

When I see stuff like this it becomes REALLY HARD to even consider becoming a theist. What about you?

Unfortunately, there are some phoney pastors who preach lies. The internet is controlled by humans. If it was controlled by the devil, there would not be any pro-christian websites.

Ed, I would think if the internet was controlled by the devil he'd love to have tons of pro-christians sites just so he could mess with them and steal some souls.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline dorke222

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 07:58:36 AM »
Hello guys,i think religion is the basic anxiety of recognize the person mantality and bible is not in the origional position and thats why i should not comments on this sacred book...

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
  • Making atheists cry since 1991
    • PURE TRUTH
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »
I just saw a pastor on the TV saying people shouldn't use the internet because the devil controls it.
LOL

When I see stuff like this it becomes REALLY HARD to even consider becoming a theist. What about you?
Me too :P
Presuppositionalism wins everytime

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

Making atheists cry since 1991

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
    • PURE TRUTH
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 09:01:21 AM »

I totally agree Ed. 

Simple. If they preach eternal hell burning & a forsaking of the law then it means they're the phoney ones.

Nietzsche : "Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

This will save ur life : https://www.facebook.com/notes/nuno-os%C3%B3rio/pure-truth/74076103182

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +683/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »

I totally agree Ed. 

Simple. If they preach eternal hell burning & a forsaking of the law then it means they're the phoney ones.

what makes this a reliable method?  That is, how do you know they wrong?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline SHIN KAIRI

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-22
    • PURE TRUTH
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 10:13:25 AM »

I totally agree Ed. 

Rev 12:17 The dragon was infuriated over the woman(true church) and went off to fight the rest of her children, those who obey God's commands and bear witness to Yeshua.

Rev 14:12 This is when perseverance is needed on the part of God's people, those who observe his commands and exercise Yeshua's faithfulness.

This is an unacceptable response SHIN.  Quoting scripture is allowed in the context of a reply to the question posed.  Scripture alone is NOT a reply, it is preaching.

Jetson
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:21:05 PM by jetson »

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
  • I could write some personal text here...
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »

Truly, the greatest threat to Christianity is not intelligent atheists... Its stupid Christians.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »
Supernatural belief systems are sort of a magnet for people like that.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »

I totally agree Ed. 

No, what it means is that anyone who defines hell any differently than you (and there are multiple definitions) is a phony. Do keep in mind that those who have other views thinks your view is phony. And of course we atheists are all inclusive. We think all definitions are phony.

If there is a god, he is the only one that knows the truth. And if there is no god there is no truth to know about hell.

It is so much easier to just call the whole frickin' concept a lie than it is to try pretending one has the right version picked out.

I'm still not crying. So you've either got to do better or admit you are using false advertising with your claim that you've made us cry since 1991.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »

He probably says the same thing on his web site  ;D
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2012, 11:23:02 PM »

Truly, the greatest threat to Christianity is not intelligent atheists... Its stupid Christians.
who cares about christianity?

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2012, 11:25:38 PM »
Hello guys,i think religion is the basic anxiety of recognize the person mantality and bible is not in the origional position and thats why i should not comments on this sacred book...
hehehe....
which book is sacred at a library?

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
  • I could write some personal text here...
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2012, 12:41:06 AM »

who cares about christianity?

Christians... im jist guessing
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +683/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2012, 11:10:40 AM »

Rev 12:17 The dragon was infuriated over the woman(true church) and went off to fight the rest of her children, those who obey God's commands and bear witness to Yeshua.

Rev 14:12 This is when perseverance is needed on the part of God's people, those who observe his commands and exercise Yeshua's faithfulness.

does not remotely answer my question
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials