Author Topic: Religion likes to downgrade your intelligence  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
Religion likes to downgrade your intelligence
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »
I just saw a pastor on the TV saying people shouldn't use the internet because the devil controls it.

In other words, they want people to not have access to information outside the bible so they become mindless followers.

When I see stuff like this it becomes REALLY HARD to even consider becoming a theist. What about you?
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +411/-9
Re: Religion likes to downgrade your intelligence
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 08:12:14 PM »
That means that the Republicans will be pushing internet censorship as soon as they are finished tearing down the social safety net and controlling women.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Religions are the dingle berries on the butt hairs of civilization.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1176/-6
  • This space for rent
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 08:24:42 PM »
You would think that tiny little worlds would be ripe for expansion. But not the religious one.

I couldn't imagine living a life where my most urgent priority was to avoid facts, actual information and new discoveries. I love the internet because through it I can get far more stories on science, history, philosophy and other areas of interest than I ever could with just magazine subscriptions and a library card.

How ironic. The pastor is on TV and he's worried about the internet. Notice that he didn't say that TV was evil.

He probably just can't figure out how to create a web site.

What I lack in sophistication I make up for with other shortcomings.

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:43:22 PM »
You would think that tiny little worlds would be ripe for expansion. But not the religious one.

I couldn't imagine living a life where my most urgent priority was to avoid facts, actual information and new discoveries. I love the internet because through it I can get far more stories on science, history, philosophy and other areas of interest than I ever could with just magazine subscriptions and a library card.

How ironic. The pastor is on TV and he's worried about the internet. Notice that he didn't say that TV was evil.

He probably just can't figure out how to create a web site.

He also recommends people only watch his channel. He said movies, soap operas are evil and filled with sexuality.

It's like manipulation hidden in fake morality.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +411/-9
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 09:00:25 PM »
Sh*t, we all are going to be living like the Amish soon.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 09:22:49 PM »
The internet's been around for 60+ years, it ain't going anywhere. However, does this mean all the Christian networks are controlled by the devil?

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:40:39 PM »
The internet's been around for 60+ years, it ain't going anywhere. However, does this mean all the Christian networks are controlled by the devil?

-Nam

Lots of servers run FreeBSD unix and its mascot is:

Holy sh*t!

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 02:07:13 AM »
I still wonder if some have trouble pushing the @ button   ;)
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +120/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 07:29:24 AM »
That means that the Republicans will be pushing internet censorship as soon as they are finished tearing down the social safety net and controlling women.

And don't forget, they want to kill Big Bird!!!
Don't stop smiling at the world and keep your head full of hope.

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1089/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 08:40:49 AM »

-Nam

Holy sh*t!

Classic:
http://rmitz.org/freebsd.daemon.html
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +411/-9
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »

And don't forget, they want to kill Big Bird!!!
I can see Big Bird now with a blindfold and cig waiting for the firing squad to load up.

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +120/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 11:17:49 AM »
I remember when the Bush Administration originally (tried?) to cut funding to PBS using the rational Romney is using (budgetary ). I recall the real reason was PBS has a more liberal track record/audience and it was more of a political move then anything else. Can't remember where I got that from but it did stick in my head.

I did a quick search and can't find any support but I will keep looking.

(edit) Now that i thought more about it, it could have been NPR.

Found this at wiki

The CPB is governed by a board of directors consisting of six members. They are selected by the President of the United States, confirmed by the Senate, and serve six-year terms. As of February 2011, the board was composed of three Republicans and three Democrats.[7] According to the Public Broadcasting Act of 1967, the president cannot appoint persons of the same political party to more than five of the nine CPB board seats.[contradiction]

In 2004 and 2005, people from the PBS and NPR complained that the CPB was starting to push a conservative agenda.[8][9] Board members replied that they were merely seeking balance. Polls of the PBS and NPR audiences in 2002 and 2003 indicated that few felt that the groups' news reports contained bias, and those that saw a slant were split as to which side they believed the reports favored.[citation needed]

The charge of a conservative agenda came to a head in 2005. Kenneth Tomlinson, chair of the CPB board from September 2003 until September 2005, angered PBS and NPR supporters by unilaterally commissioning a conservative colleague to conduct a study of alleged bias in the PBS show NOW with Bill Moyers, and by appointing two conservatives as CPB Ombudsmen.[10] On November 3, 2005, Tomlinson resigned from the board, prompted by a report of his tenure by the CPB Inspector General, Kenneth Konz, requested by Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives. The report was made public on November 15. It states:

We found evidence that the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) former Chairman violated statutory provisions and the Director’s Code of Ethics by dealing directly with one of the creators of a new public affairs program during negotiations with the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and the CPB over creating the show. Our review also found evidence that suggests “political tests” were a major criteria [sic] used by the former Chairman in recruiting a President/Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for CPB, which violated statutory prohibitions against such practices.[11]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:29:31 AM by stuffin »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »
PBS IS COMMUNISM!!! BIG BIRD IS A COMMIE!!! HE'S SECRETLY A RED BIRD UNDER ALL THAT YELLOW!!! PLUS!!! BIGBIRD IS OBVIOUSLY AN ATHEIST!!! AFTERALL HE'S A COMMIE!!!

DAMN THAT PBS AND IT'S HITLER BIG BIRD!!!!!!

-Nam

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +411/-9
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
When you don't have to rely on corporations (Like the Koch Bros) for funding you can present a more thought provoking program.  That was the whole idea behind PBS and others like them.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »
Speaking back to the OP's title I just wanted to confirm that I have seen this first hand in my life.  My Mother, who I have talked about on here in several posts; was ALWAYS in favor of furthering my education and being as smart and knowledgeable as I can be.  However, after coming out to her as an atheist she actually had the balls to blame "all this education".  I was shocked and appalled.  I tried to question her if that made her question her beliefs when and increase in knowledge and fact can be seen as a bad thing... just kinda wondered off.

But yeah, its not secret that the religious and the church have always tried to control the spread of information.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 09:14:21 PM »
I just saw a pastor on the TV saying people shouldn't use the internet because the devil controls it.

::removed pic::
Holy sh*t!

ha, then those pastors might as well just stop using computers.

Linus Torvalds is an atheist.

Richard Stallman is an atheist

Bill Gates is an atheist.

I believe Steve Jobs also was an atheist.

Lets face it - unless a christian programs a kernel or an operating system  the entire personal computer industry is 'controlled' by the devil.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +447/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »
I think Jobs was a buddhist.

Offline jsmacks

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 11:02:57 PM »

In other words, they want people to not have access to information outside the bible so they become mindless followers.

When I see stuff like this it becomes REALLY HARD to even consider becoming a theist. What about you?

What used to get me was the saying that Christians need to have a childlike mentality. This line works well when you are a kid but it does promote gullibility.

Offline Ed

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 11:34:52 PM »
Hello, here are my possible answers to the 10 questions:

Question #1: Why Won't God Heal Amputees?  I wish God would heal amputees but perhaps the reason he does not is because that would be too obvious a miracle. Obvious miracles could replace faith to the point when there would be no faith. Without faith there is no salvation, this is why you must choose Christianity before you die and see God.

Question #2: Why are there so many starving children in our world?  Food is provided but much of the time, the country's government steals the food for themselves to eat or sell.

Question #3: Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?  This is a tough question but I think that the old testament writers could not fully interpret Gods' inspirational meanings. This is one of the reasons why Jesus came here, to clarify what God The Father meant. This is why you do not read such laws within the new testament.

Question #4: Why does the Bible contain so much anti-scientific nonsense?  The Bible is scientifically accurate, for example: biblical lists of clean and unclean creatures have a significance often ignored. These lists emphasize a fact not discovered until late in the last century, that animals carry diseases dangerous to man. In fact, the same animals labeled unclean in Scripture still carry parasitic diseases that are still dangerous to human beings today.

One of Gods' laws is to circumcise a baby boy when he is exactly 8 days old, doctors now know that a baby's immune system is very strong on the 8th day. Also, modern scientific studies have shown that the blood-clotting mechanism in a baby is not fully developed until the eighth day, so it was not wise to do a surgical procedure earlier because of the threat of hemorrhage.

The Bible revealed that the earth is round. Job 26:10, Prov 8:27, Isaiah 40:22, Amos 9:6. The people of the fifteenth century feared sailing because they thought they would fall over the edge of the flat earth. Yet the Bible revealed the truth in 1000 B.C. 2500 years before man discovered it for himself.

Question #5: Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible?  During ancient times, "slaves" were actually paid servants whom were treated well. The Egyptians did not treat their slaves ( servants ) well so God put an end to that.

Question #6: Why do bad things happen to good people?  Mankind is responsible for the present schism between God and us, its a wonder that God answers any prayers.

Question #7: Why didn't any of Jesus' miracles leave behind any evidence?  Because evidence can replace faith into non-existence, we need faith.

Question #8: How do we explain the fact that Jesus has never appeared to you?   Because about 2,000 years ago, Jesus said: "I will not return until the 2nd coming".

Question #9: Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood?  Jesus was referring to his body and blood in the spiritual sense.

Question #10: Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-Christians?  Because many Christians are only lukewarm christians, fervent Christians whom strive hard to obey God will only get a divorce if the spouse had sex with someone else.

Offline lomolo

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 02:45:52 AM »

I think that's for another thread?

And basically all of your ten possible answers are addressed in the literature on the front page. Did you read it?

Offline naemhni

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 06:36:53 AM »

Yes, it is.  As it happens, Ed submitted this same response to the Mailbag last night before posting his response here, so I'll be creating a thread there.  Ed, I'll be sending you a link to your thread shortly.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +120/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 08:47:54 AM »

Yes, it is.  As it happens, Ed submitted this same response to the Mailbag last night before posting his response here, so I'll be creating a thread there.  Ed, I'll be sending you a link to your thread shortly.
That looks like a fun and educational thread.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 01:40:05 PM »
I think people in general, in all seriousness, like to believe they know more about a situation, or problem than other people. That's why you get a lot of pre-teens and teens acting like they can help others with specific problems that they themselves have either gone through themselves, or are going through. I think the religious have the same mentality.

-Nam

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 03:55:45 PM »
I think people in general, in all seriousness, like to believe they know more about a situation, or problem than other people. That's why you get a lot of pre-teens and teens acting like they can help others with specific problems that they themselves have either gone through themselves, or are going through. I think the religious have the same mentality.

-Nam

Religion is exactly that. People claiming they know how the universe works while they don't know anything.

Offline collcat

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 10:02:26 PM »
Now the internet is the devil too?It used to be rock and roll music!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 10:13:59 PM »
Rock 'N Roll was called the "devil's music" because black people basically invented it. And, pastors in the south, many of them racist idiots, used the music as a tool to be rascist against black people, and white people who embraced the music were seen as "nigger lovers" and were demeaned not only by the churches but the sheep in them, too.

In the book of Mormon, and in the Bible (not as much as in the Book of Mormon), it states that black people used to be white people but they sinned so much and angered Biblegod that he turned them black (read about Ham), and if black people just repent Biblegod will turn them white once again. Now, the pastors could've (and perhaps did) use such nonsense in concern to all things "black" but it really stemmed from slavery, and how they felt blacks were going to "conquer" them with their savagery, and take away the poor southerners civility. You know, politics, raping the "white woman" and all that nonsense.

Just more propaganda.

-Nam

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 08:45:42 AM »
Rock 'N Roll was called the "devil's music" because black people basically invented it. And, pastors in the south, many of them racist idiots, used the music as a tool to be rascist against black people, and white people who embraced the music were seen as "nigger lovers" and were demeaned not only by the churches but the sheep in them, too.

In the book of Mormon, and in the Bible (not as much as in the Book of Mormon), it states that black people used to be white people but they sinned so much and angered Biblegod that he turned them black (read about Ham), and if black people just repent Biblegod will turn them white once again. Now, the pastors could've (and perhaps did) use such nonsense in concern to all things "black" but it really stemmed from slavery, and how they felt blacks were going to "conquer" them with their savagery, and take away the poor southerners civility. You know, politics, raping the "white woman" and all that nonsense.

Just more propaganda.

-Nam

In Brazil when the Portuguese Catholics arrived to colonize the area, black slaves were said to have no soul, and that's why they were slaves. The Catholics utilized the bible to validate this belief.

Native americans were also forced by the Portuguese men to convert to Christianity. Their pagan nature religion was said to be of demonic powers and those who didn't convert were killed.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 07:59:33 PM »
The savages were those who felt they were civilized.

-Nam

Offline Ed

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »

Unfortunately, there are some phoney pastors who preach lies. The internet is controlled by humans. If it was controlled by the devil, there would not be any pro-christian websites.