Author Topic: Nearby Super-Earth Likely a Diamond Planet  (Read 667 times)

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +42/-8
Nearby Super-Earth Likely a Diamond Planet
« on: October 11, 2012, 10:49:36 AM »

Because with a universe as big as ours, some things like diamonds are valuable here because they are scarce.  But somwhere else.... maybe not so much.  Have to love how big of a universe, with so many galaxies and stars, even the rarest of things can be plentiful; hopefully the religous one day can respect statistics in numbers and long durations of time. 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121011090647.htm
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
Re: Nearby Super-Earth Likely a Diamond Planet
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
I iam so glad that I'm not a religious person that has to explain away everything new instead of enjoying and embracing it.

Diamonds aren't actually all that scarce (demand-wise) here on earth. It's just that the diamond monopolists have kept the prices high for their own benefit. So hard to believe in a capitalist society.

Hahahahahahaha...

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »
Because with a universe as big as ours, some things like diamonds are valuable here because they are scarce.  But somwhere else.... maybe not so much.  Have to love how big of a universe, with so many galaxies and stars, even the rarest of things can be plentiful; hopefully the religous one day can respect statistics in numbers and long durations of time. 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121011090647.htm

Diamonds are actually not all that rare on Earth.  The reason they're so expensive is that one company, DeBeers, essentially has a global monopoly on them, and it has successfully foisted a variety of ideas on various societies, such as the notion that an engagement ring has to have a diamond in it, and that diamond has to be a certain size, and so on.

Diamonds are very commonly used in drill bits because of their hardness, and if you do a Google shopping search on diamond drill bits, you'll see that they're not very expensive.  Although, admittedly, the diamonds used for drill bits are not gem-quality diamonds.

An interesting article, in any event, though.  The planets that are being discovered are a lot stranger than I would have expected -- such as this one having a year that's only eighteen hours long.  Very surprising.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »
I iam so glad that I'm not a religious person that has to explain away everything new instead of enjoying and embracing it.

Diamonds aren't actually all that scarce (demand-wise) here on earth. It's just that the diamond monopolists have kept the prices high for their own benefit. So hard to believe in a capitalist society.

Hahahahahahaha...

Sort of true and sort of not true. Gem quality diamonds are actually kind of rare. The recognition of value way predates the Debeers corporation, so it isn't just their hold on the supply. The thing is, the actual market value is quite low by comparison to the monopoly has led you to believe, by a factor of between 10 to 20. So that $5000.00 diamond in the wholsale market would fetch around $250.00. That is still a high value to weight, but kind a laughable compared to what it is sold for.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 02:08:36 PM »
Has the US claimed it yet?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
Most metals, or jewels that people say are rare, or "scarce", isn't true. Especially when you have 10 jewellery stores situated in one location. That doesn't yell "rare", to me.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
Most metals, or jewels that people say are rare, or "scarce", isn't true. Especially when you have 10 jewellery stores situated in one location. That doesn't yell "rare", to me.

-Nam

But remember, the entire precious metal and jewel inventory of those ten stores stripped of its packaging would still fit in a backpack.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 10:03:19 PM »
Pretty sure Uranus is speculated to have a diamond core.
Soon we will judge angels.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
^Must hurt to wipe.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 02:48:35 PM »
So that $5000.00 diamond in the wholsale market would fetch around $250.00.

how does one go about buying diamonds wholesale?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »
So that $5000.00 diamond in the wholsale market would fetch around $250.00.

how does one go about buying diamonds wholesale?

More or less...be born into it; own a chain of Jewelery stores....or own a pawn shop. What a pawn broker will give you for the diamond is really the best demonstration of what real....not retail...market price is. From what I've heard, 5% of retail is common.