Author Topic: The 1% threatens the 99% again  (Read 480 times)

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
The 1% threatens the 99% again
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:15:57 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/david-siegel-email_n_1951801.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing9%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D217865#slide=more253599

According to the news article, David Siegal, the CEO of Westgate Resorts, is apparently emailing his employees threatening them to vote for Romney, or they could lose their jobs. He states if Obama is re-elected, he's going to start laying off workers.  >:(

It is about jobs and the economy, but this bs from the rich assholes need to stop. This just entices me even more to vote for Obama. However, this is a great reason why we not only still need Unions and need more of them, but I still think we should have a Nationalized Union like Europe does.

In addition, isn't this illegal? Can't he face serious fines and jail time for this? I honestly think he deserves it after the threats.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: The 1% threatens the 99% again
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »
This should be illegal. Lying in political ads and debates should be illegal. Politics are so very, very wrong on so many levels. It makes me want to scream. Voting is a private matter. An exercise of our basic citizen rights. This guy not only has no right to tell them who to vote for, he does not have the right to ask who they voted for, or act on that knowledge if he finds out through villiany.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »
I still think the 1% (with the money they have pumped into this campaign...(both for president and congress) will come out on top.  News media will try to figure out why.  Its simple.  The Haves will always control the Have Nots.  Even more so with the income disparity so wide now.  It saddens me to see Obama lose this election.  There will be a new reality soon.  One where people have to figure out on their own how they are going to make it.   The old games will continue to be played...the ones where they make us think we are a part of the solution...and we are all sacrificing together.  When I think what could have been it makes you mad and sad.  But then Romney wants us all to be in the 1%.  Just how does that work?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »
Lying in political ads and debates should be illegal.

Lying -in most circumstances- is protected free speech in the U.S. of A. 
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »
I still think the 1% (with the money they have pumped into this campaign...(both for president and congress) will come out on top.  News media will try to figure out why.  Its simple.  The Haves will always control the Have Nots.  Even more so with the income disparity so wide now.  It saddens me to see Obama lose this election.  There will be a new reality soon.  One where people have to figure out on their own how they are going to make it.   The old games will continue to be played...the ones where they make us think we are a part of the solution...and we are all sacrificing together.  When I think what could have been it makes you mad and sad.  But then Romney wants us all to be in the 1%.  Just how does that work?

Well, I recently got into the trading card game Magic the Gathering. There is a card that has a quote that I love that accurately reflects what you are talking about:

Basically, we are the rats. When I saw this card, I said in my head in continuation, "when times are toughest, the poor will eat the rich", and that's what's going to happen if Romney is elected. Either the poor will eat the rich up, or we are going to start seeing Robin Hood and Pancho Villa become not only reality, but commonplace. The rich don't understand what will happen when you put 99% of the population into survival mode. We still have those animistic tendencies that they like to deny.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +729/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 01:03:45 PM »
The guy is an ass, but he did make it clear in his letter that his employees were free to vote for whomever they wanted. It's just that if Obama wins he is going to chicken out and quite making money and move to the Bahamas and sip drinks out of little glasses with umbrellas for the rest of his life. Because he is a sore looser.

He is a typical rich guy in the sense that he assumes that his hard work (and I'm sure he did some of that, esp. in the early days) means that anybody can go out and get rich if they only do the same thing. This takes several things for granted. Such as that everyone is as interested in wealth as he is. And that we all have the same genetic p;ropensity for screw over the masses. He and the other rich also appear to think that we could all be billionaires and it wouldn't have any negative effect on our ability to get our offices cleaned, our restaurant tables waited on, our plumbing fixed and//or our 90,000 square foot mansions built.

He thinks we're mad at the rich simply because they are rich. That is not the case. What most of us do not like is that they appear to be getting richer at the expense of everyone else. Real wages, when adjusted for inflation, have not gone up  for we bottom feeders since 1990, while the big boys have been increasing their income by many a percent every year.

Not everyone wants a trillion bucks and a different colored Ferrari for each day of the week. Some of us would be happy with a reliable job, an affordable mortgage, a new car every five or six years and a chance to go on an actual vacation every once in a while. But as long as the rich keep shipping jobs overseas while tooting their own horns about how how patriotic they are, and as long as the rich insist on keeping more and more of their companies income in their own pocket rather than passing it out to employees, this sort of division is going to continue to exist.

Apparently the concept of justice doesn't exist for people such as the bad Mr. Siegal. Except for the part where he now has his wealth and what could be more just than that. As someone who leans pretty far left, I am more interested in some modicum of income equality, affordable health care for all, good schools and a govenrment maintained physical infrastructure that has a way of keeping potholes fixed. All people like Mr. Siegal are concerned with is themselves.

The only thing the rich do well is help prove to me that I am poor, relatively speaking. Sure they do all that job stuff and all, but only when it is convenient for them. That most of the rich appear to be totally unconcerned with anyone that doesn't belong to their country club, they have no real right to demand we respect them.

We can't let them get away with this "I'm a victim" crap. It is as fraudulent as their tax returns. 
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »
I don't understand that mindset of the rich and it's the direction Romney is taking and Republicans are purposefully quoting Obama out of context over and that's this idea that if you persevere and work hard you can make a stable income or even become rich like them and they can do it by their own merits. Basically what PP was just saying. Yet, they seem completely obvlious to the fact a person doesn't get their on their own. To ignore this idea, conveniently they quote Obama out of context here, "you did not build that", in the context, you didn't build your business, this is good ammunition to turn business owners (like Mr Douchebag in the article) against Obama, but the actual case is that Obama has this "we're all in it together" attitude, which I suppose ironically is the attitude our conservatives here in the UK claim to be having. A business is not *just* built by their own hard work, but on the backs of many individuals. It's not taking away their achievements, it's just suggesting that a society is made strong by working together and supporting each other, because that's what their success is built on.

I like to think of creating a business to being like creating a computer program. I am geek who programs as a hobby, my hard work in making a program? I technically coded the program, but I couldn't have gotten there on my own. The program I am using to code in is a high level programming language, which means it's build ontop multiple layers of computer code. It's inefficient to code in machine code, so from their it goes up and up in levels to develop a language that's easier for a human to work with. Hence, people tend to write in things like C++ (or something higher like C# or Visual Basic) and not binary. Who built that? Not me. I've not developed binary, hex-code, assembly, C, C++ or C#. Then in C# I am using a library to aid my development, which I myself didn't build, somebody else did. This is just the infrastructure before I even touch the computer. This is ignoring the invention of the computer and of course the work that went into it, like the invention of the Turing machine and the cracking of the enigma code. So before I get to double click on Visual C# 2010, there's a shit tonne of work done prior to get me there and it's not work I've done myself. But before I can write a lick of code, I've got to know how to use it. That's right! I need an edumacation! For me, that's viewing free tutorials on the internet and experimentation. Big props to the website 3DBuzz there.

Then don't get me started on the other tools I use. ;) It starts to make me look very small, but any work I do to develop my program is my work and I can take credit it for that, but to get there it is not my work alone, regardless of whether or not I have to credit them for it.

When listening to the misquoted Obama speech that's what I was thinking. This is the mindset I think businessmen need to consider and the idiot in the article needn't feel threatened by Obama's policies, if anything it should be encouraging and if he were to take that philosophy to heart, it should improve his relationship with his employees.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 05:56:15 PM »
Everyone has a First Amendment right to be an asshole.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 10:10:41 PM »
Westgate? Isn't that a company where the employees have to pay to work there? (Their training, no matter the position)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:52:56 AM »
if he were to take that philosophy to heart, it should improve his relationship with his employees.

When his photo is that of sitting on a golden throne with a trophy wife in his lap...I don't think he's interested in anything like that. I would applaud of his being beheaded frankly.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »
Real wages, when adjusted for inflation, have not gone up  for we bottom feeders since 1990

It is worse than that, median income, adjusted for inflation, peaked in 1971. There was some increases in 1992 to 2000, but none the less. That just shows the "increase in wealth" created by the work of millions of American hasn't been shared for the last 31 years.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 11:52:40 AM »
It is worse than that, median income, adjusted for inflation, peaked in 1971. There was some increases in 1992 to 2000, but none the less. That just shows the "increase in wealth" created by the work of millions of American hasn't been shared for the last 31 41 years.

corrrected.  your math was off a decade.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »
It is worse than that, median income, adjusted for inflation, peaked in 1971. There was some increases in 1992 to 2000, but none the less. That just shows the "increase in wealth" created by the work of millions of American hasn't been shared for the last 31 41 years.

corrrected.  your math was off a decade.
Sorry about the typo.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +729/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »
If you're interested in some other versions of the rich dude discussed in the OP, read this story and follow the links in it. He is another Romney. He is lacking somewhat in morals but is otherwise just another asshole.

But he can afford it.

http://blogs.citypaper.com/index.php/2012/10/vote-obama-out-or-youre-fired/
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »
It would be nice and funny if 7000 of them all voted for Obama and if he won just stand behind a big sign the next day that says, "F*ck You...We Quit".

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »
Personally, what I do wish is that since Money is our voice, we should boycott all these assholes and their companies like this Westgate, Papa John's Pizza, the stupid Chuck Norris bs, Walmart, etc.

Yes, I do understand many people will lose their jobs, but I think people deserve far better than to work for these things instead of being given a decent job with a decent wage to make a living off of instead of scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Part of why they are successful is because we give them all of our money through purchasing their goods. We should show them we have the power to take their money away from them by refusing to purchase their goods, letting their profits now become expenses, and the people who should be rich because they will give back to the community instead of hoarding it, will become rich.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 08:15:52 PM »
100 years from now people will look back and wonder how so many (the 99%) were so influenced by the few (1%).

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 08:18:13 PM »
100 years from now people will look back and wonder how so many (the 99%) were so influenced by the few (1%).

Easy. This is what the lack of proper education does to you. This is evidence as to why we need as many people as humanely possible to be as educated as possible.

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »
You're assuming that in 100 years we won't still be in the same situation. 

Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 08:29:07 PM »
You're assuming that in 100 years we won't still be in the same situation.

In all fairness, the human race may end up extinct in 100 years anyway.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »
No, 70 days...Dec. 211st, 2012

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
Will that be a Tuesday, 'cause I am busy that day.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 09:21:13 AM »
No, its a Friday but look on the bright side.  You don't have to buy Xmas presents this year.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 02:09:08 PM »
Except for myself, though, right?

-Nam

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
Well, sure, it can be a going away present.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Cool.

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +818/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 04:19:44 PM »
I want our resident conservative Mr. Blackwell's perspective on this....
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.