Author Topic: Travel Through Rural Area Shows God is Everywhere  (Read 476 times)

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
Travel Through Rural Area Shows God is Everywhere
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:22:16 AM »
I was driving through farm land in New Jersey.  I noticed a surprising number of bill boards for jesus and god.  It gave me a notion as to why so many people unquestioningly accept the existence of god.

God seems to be everywhere... in the churces and other places of worship, home-made signs on people's lawns, bill boards, everyday language, holidays, TV, movies... it goes on and on.  He's as ubiquitous as air.  We can't see air, but everyone agrees it's there.  Well, one might reason that god is much like air in that respect.  Everyone seems to agree it's there (except cranks and contrarians).

As a former theist, it was very easy for me to lapse into that mode of thought as I drove past one reminder after another of god and his son.  In that altered state, I heard the voices of my fellow believers sarcastically say 'Sure...There's no god...EVERYONE's wrong'.  I could feel the plausibility of god's existence.

I would imagine most people feel the same way, and so being atheist... believing the opposite of what seems to be the consensus of the entire world since adam and eve, would seem rather stupid.

Remember:  This is NJ, not Dixie or Indiana or Idaho.  Many many places outside of cities in the US must be like this.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
Re: Travel Through Rural Area Shows God is Everywhere
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 04:39:33 AM »
I would imagine most people feel the same way, and so being atheist... believing the opposite of what seems to be the consensus of the entire world since adam and eve, would seem rather stupid.

stupid ... and, I imagine, scary. Going against the flow, espacially in the environment you describe must be uncomfortable to say the least.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:49:49 AM »
There are over 400,000 churches dotting this country.  But, the fastest growing segment according to recent research is not the religious, it's the nones, non-affiliated, atheists. 

It is all too easy to see the signs of religious fervor all over our land - especially if you have a religious past.  And don't forget that the goal of many churches is to guilt, shame, and fear people into believing.  It could also be described as a bullying tactic in some cases.  People are literally afraid to speak against religions and their non-sense - even though I suspect a large number of adults know deep down that it's all bullshit.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:55:35 AM »
Many churches are finding their attendance down.  That means $$$s are down.  They must advertise and pressure thru guilt to get those numbers back up.  Kind of like survival mode for them.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +789/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »
In Jersy, you have to pray. What with the Mafia-run waste disposal companies illegally dumping toxic waste in nearby ditches and all.

We have some religious billboards, and the occasional gigantic frickin' cross here in Montana. But I have certainly seen more of that type of thing when on the east coast. And of course in the south. Though I haven't been to either place for nearly a decade. Things may have changed since then.

Things might be a little different out west. I was once working in a very small town in Idaho, and I couldn't help but notice that despite its tiny size, it had six churches. I mentioned this to a local and he said "Yep, and we also have six bars. Most of us think it is pretty important to have a 1:1 ratio..."

I suspect that the plethora of religious web sites on the net sort of makes up for any other change in advertising, etc. I suspect the religious like the part where many sites, religious or otherwise, are whacko. So they feel that they fit right in. That's gotta be comforting.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 04:01:20 PM »
Many churches are finding their attendance down.  That means $$$s are down.  They must advertise and pressure thru guilt to get those numbers back up.  Kind of like survival mode for them.

I remember the good ole days when churches didn't have to advertise. There building(s) alone was enough to convey their message.

Then the billboards for those newer churches were showing up. These billboards were traps set for the weakest. The would have a picture of a young person looking lost, often reminding me of a drug addict or alcohol abuser, and a telephone number to call for help.

But now we see even mainstream churches using all kinds of media to sell themselves. There definitely is a certain amount of desperation involved.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline learnin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »

Or entertain.  The mega churches have thousands attending because they know how to put on a great show and people get something for their money...thrill....joy.....much like a football game.

And, also.  There is hardly anything more powerful than the mindset that says:  "I know something you don't."  I've got truth and you're out in the cold."  "I feel sorry for you poor ignorant fools."

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 02:48:35 PM »

And they won't go quietly into that good night.

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 10:30:23 PM »
It's fandom run amok. It's like they've all seen the same movie, and everyone wants to make a hip reference.
Denis Loubet

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 04:01:53 AM »
It's fandom run amok. It's like they've all seen the same movie, and everyone wants to make a hip reference.

Hipster reference: 'I'm into this guy named Jesus.  You've probably never heard of him'

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 08:14:42 AM »
I was driving through farm land in New Jersey.

Drive up Old US Route 220 through Central Pennsylvania and you will find more statues of Jesus and Mary than exist in Italy. I'm sure you will find more guns, too.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.