Author Topic: I'm ashamed to share a planet with this man, much less a country  (Read 1995 times)

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/06/arkansas-republican-slavery-was-blessing-in-disguise-that-rewarded-blacks-with-u-s-citizenship/

I apologize if there is already an active thread on this topic. I just read it, and slammed up a post on Facebook, then came directly here to post it in this community. Regardless of your political leanings, please read the article, follow the links, verify to your hearts content. BUT READ THE STORY.

I'm almost physically ill, and have been wiping away tears since I finished the article. For whatever the reason, this specific story has brought home to me in a way that nothing else quite has, just how ... wrong, and misguided, and horrifying the racism in the right wing really is. I'm so far past disgusted I'm not even sure what I actually feel.

Well, except ashamed. Ashamed of my race, ashamed of my country, ashamed of myself for ever being so naive as to think these people could be reasoned with.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Gohavesomefun

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: I'm ashamed to share a planet with this man, much less a country
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:22:57 PM »
I dont think anyone here is going to disagree with you.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. ”
A. Einstein

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »
I would potentially disagree if I had the time and inclination to engage the discussion properly.

Lets just say that I disagree with pointing out a hand full of examples and using the most extreme cases to paint the entire group, which happens to share maybe only one or two other things in common with these freaks, as a whole.

Not all Republicans are backwards thinking racist, womanizing, bigoted, closet sex freaks.

But that's just my two cents worth.

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »
You see that is the thing.  Republicans can say anything bat sh*t crazy and it seems to be fine.  Look at all the sh*t they have come up with in the last 10 days or so.  And still they have almost half the country following behind them.  I really don't understand what has happened to us or worse what is going to happen to us.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:02:04 PM »
I would potentially disagree if I had the time and inclination to engage the discussion properly.

Lets just say that I disagree with pointing out a hand full of examples and using the most extreme cases to paint the entire group, which happens to share maybe only one or two other things in common with these freaks, as a whole.

Not all Republicans are backwards thinking racist, womanizing, bigoted, closet sex freaks.

You could have fooled me.  Why don't the ones who are not extreme say something?

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 05:05:15 PM »
Mr. Blackwell, given your lack of inclination, let me respond in my own half-assed way.

There a segment of the republican party that seems to take pride in their racism. I find it disgusting. I wish the republicans that feel otherwise would speak the f*** up about it. In the absence of them being vocal, I, who claim no party affiliation, will gladly speak up instead.

No, I don't believe that "all republicans are evil/bad/ignorant/what-the-hell-ever", but this one is. Not because he's a republican, but because he's an ignorant, arrogant person, who has the power and influence to do great harm by virtual of his political position, regardless of party affiliation. I'd have posted the same story if he'd been a democrat because filth is filth.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Aspie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +34/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »
One also has to take note of the remarkable consistency of these "extreme cases" that end up in public office. I would even go so far as to dispute the notion that these are in any way extreme as racism is quite prevalent in the south, which is why the birthism movement and de facto anti-black legislation such as voter suppression laws enjoy overwhelming Republican support. The only difference between this guy and your typical racist is that he isn't mincing his words or hiding behind code phrases such as affirmative action, political correctness, and reverse racism. It would seem to me that the only grounds for considering him "extreme" would be that he isn't pulling his punches.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:51:00 PM by Aspie »

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »
I wish these republicans would stand up against fucked up individuals like him. I would like to see the moderate republicans get up and stand up against the radicals and disassociate themselves from the crazy rather than facilitate it. But to be honest, it's the radicals who make the loudest bang and may not represent all. Regardless, nobody with those attitudes should have political power - yes it's allowed because it's democratic, but I don't think people should vote them in and with current power? They should make votes of no-confidence, use the system to keep the crazies out of power. Bring out the more reasonable republicans, bring them to the floor. Unfortunately, humans are gullible creatures and can be sold a whole line of bullshit to convince them. But there's 3 types of people in this world you can't trust, politicians, journalists and preachers, sure there's honest people in all 3, but in reality they have their own agendas and will tell you whatever you want to hear so you buy into their bullshit.

The saddening thing is, this guy isn't the only person in the world with those kinds of opinions and there are those who have acted on such things. I wouldn't worried being ashamed about your country or race because there are many who'd stand beside you with the same bad taste in their mouth after reading that.

However, everytime I read something like this, I lose a bit of faith in humanity as it seems we managed to push and push harder and harder to progress ourselves as a species in a positive way, but there's this resistence holding us back and at times I do wish I was another species and on a different planet separate from all the fucked up things about humanity, but you can't escape it. For me, the issue was not so much the racism, but how the intellectual dishonest and lack of compassion in the lives of fellow human beings. I'm not so much worried about the "black people should be grateful", it's horribly offensive, but what frightens me is his bit about the immigrants. Combined with the racism, I'd feel very worried if he were ever to act on his convictions or if his party were ever to take him seriously enough to do it, then they wouldn't be the first and probably won't be last.

So you kinda wish humanity would just fucking evolve.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 07:20:01 PM »
You could have fooled me.  Why don't the ones who are not extreme say something?

They do, I do...but when reasonable people say something, it is not "sensational". So the AP does not report it.

Plus, you gotta factor in the fact that the parties protect their own. Circling the wagons and all that jazz.

The very same question you asked has been asked numerous times about the moderate Muslims and why they don't "speak out" against the extremists among them.

Do you think the Republican party will send out suicide bombers to kill people who speak out against them?

On second thought, don't answer that...they would probably just send out drones whenever they get back into full power. You know, since that precedent has been established...

but I digress

Killing people is only cool when Democrats do it.[1]

Edit to add foot note
 1. Run and tell THAT
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:26:31 PM by Mr. Blackwell »
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »
Whether Jon Hubbard is a Republican or not, he's certainly a proud supporter of the White Trash party.

I find it a little sad how deep I had to get into the article to even find out his name.
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 08:29:59 PM »

Who are they?   :o
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »

Sadly, no one you have ever heard of.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 09:00:15 PM »
I don't know, sounds like typical right sided talk. I mean he takes no responsibility for slavery, but bends the rational for it to justify a positive  defending the behavior. It is a valid point, but kinda of a sick way to think. You know, like suffering to achieve a greater good. I'm sensing a pattern.

The rest of his stuff is just f*ucking crazy

Aristotle

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »

Sadly, no one you have ever heard of.

WoW, it sad they don't know me.  ;D

Aristotle

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 09:33:04 PM »
Just curios...

Do you think Condoleezza Rice is a racist? How about Colin Powell or Herman Cain? Allen West Maybe?

How about Marco Rubio or Bobby Jindal?  Are they "racist" because they are Republicans or are they Republicans because they are racist?

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »
Just curios...

Do you think Condoleezza Rice is a racist? How about Colin Powell or Herman Cain? Allen West Maybe?

How about Marco Rubio or Bobby Jindal?  Are they "racist" because they are Republicans or are they Republicans because they are racist?

No.

However, Condy, Powell and Herman are black people who are still being manipulate by white people, but suffering from the rewards of success,  or receiving the benefits from the selected (1%) for being black?. Wow, now you are making me act racist, nice trick evil republican.   8)

Aristotle

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 10:22:24 PM »
Seriously?

So they are just a bunch of uncle Tom's?

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
Funny, I don't think the slave catchers who brought Africans to this country thought they would ever get citizenship.  I don't think the people who kept them as chattel wanted them to get citizenship, either.  And the people who unconstitutionally denied them their right to vote didn't care that they were citizens.

Saying that black people should be grateful for slavery because it got them citizenship is comparable to saying that Jews should be thankful for the Holocaust because it got them a country of their own.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
And even today there are "some people" who are trying to keep as many minorities as possible from voting .

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +466/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »
It’s not often I come to support the right in the shape of Mr Blackwell but it is as wrong to say that all Republicans are racists as it is to say that all Blacks are drug-dealers. It is a generalisation too far.

On the Arkansas senator, had he said, “Blacks have eventually been advantaged by the suffering of their forebears.” Would it be true and if so, acceptable?

It is clear that the per capita income and average living standard of the American (both black and white) is vastly higher than any country from which slaves were taken. Corruption, education and the infrastructure levels are all superior - for whatever reason.

The part that disturbed me was further down:
the real threat, he wrote, comes from immigrants, “legal and illegal,” who will eventually have to be rounded up and killed.
“(T)he immigration issue, both legal and illegal… will lead to planned wars or extermination,” said Hubbard on page 9 of Letters to the Editor. “Although now this seems to be barbaric and uncivilized, it will at some point become as necessary as eating and breathing.”
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »
There's other factors for why Africa is a downtrodden continent today besides slavery.

Take the kingdom of Axum (a civilized country in northeastern Africa, populated by black people), which existed from roughly 400 AD to 1000 AD.  What would have happened had it not been cut off from Rome, its ally and primary trading partner, by the spread of Islam?  Indeed, what if it could have helped spread civilization into the interior of the African continent?

Sure, it's a "might have been".  But it's at least plausible that it could have made a difference towards civilization in Africa.

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

On the Arkansas senator, had he said, “Blacks have eventually been advantaged by the suffering of their forebears.” Would it be true and if so, acceptable?

It is clear that the per capita income and average living standard of the American (both black and white) is vastly higher than any country from which slaves were taken. Corruption, education and the infrastructure levels are all superior - for whatever reason.

An excellent point that I think the Senator was trying to make, however lacking the verbal skills of Graybeard.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +97/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »

They do, I do...but when reasonable people say something, it is not "sensational". So the AP does not report it.

Plus, you gotta factor in the fact that the parties protect their own. Circling the wagons and all that jazz.

The very same question you asked has been asked numerous times about the moderate Muslims and why they don't "speak out" against the extremists among them.

Do you think the Republican party will send out suicide bombers to kill people who speak out against them?

On second thought, don't answer that...they would probably just send out drones whenever they get back into full power. You know, since that precedent has been established...

but I digress

Killing people is only cool when Democrats do it.[1]

Edit to add foot note
 1. Run and tell THAT
some republican somewhere who does not agree should be able to get a TV camera in front of them....like Herman Cain maybe?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +97/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 03:53:56 PM »
Just curios...

Are these guys Republican because they believe in conservative policies in Government? They are there because they believe in the policies,no?

There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »
some republican somewhere who does not agree should be able to get a TV camera in front of them....like Herman Cain maybe?

I would assume yes.

Are these guys Republican because they believe in conservative policies in Government? They are there because they believe in the policies,no?

I would assume yes.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »
Seriously?

So they are just a bunch of uncle Tom's?

Uncle Tom is a bit strong. They are appreciating being in certain (white) circles. Colin Powell is the only one didn't fully suck up to the White Bread Mayonnaise Republican upper crust philosophy.

Aristotle

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 07:52:41 PM »
Uncle Tom is a bit strong. They are appreciating being in certain (white) circles. Colin Powell is the only one didn't fully suck up to the White Bread Mayonnaise Republican upper crust philosophy.

Didn't he throw his hat in the presidential ring at one point only to back out because of death threats?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 09:01:58 PM »
I think it had more to do with his wife.  She must be fragile or not up to a presidential run.