Author Topic: 18th Birthday tales of woe  (Read 463 times)

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
18th Birthday tales of woe
« on: October 06, 2012, 12:25:15 AM »
I'm 18 today, spending today as a quiet night in with my girlfriend and her friends. We're going to get a bottle of wine and get nicely sozzled after I've spent the day at the Royal College of Music.

However, I would very much lie to know any of your mad 18th birthday stories! Who amongst you are those known as dark horses? Any mad parties?
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: 18th Birthday tales of woe
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 03:20:04 AM »
Happy Birthday, EV!

No wild stories.  On my 18th birthday, my parents gave my boyfriend enough money to take me out to a very very fancy restaurant for dinner.  It was a rainy, icy, snowy night, and on the drive home from dinner, my boyfriend got a ticket for not having a tail light or some such thing on his junky old car.  Between the cost of the ticket and the cost of repairing the light, it was a very expensive evening for him. 

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:29:52 AM »
Happy Birthday dude! Congrats on now being of legal age!
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 08:34:03 AM »
It is sad to see someone who is over the hill like this.  Where did time go?  (young wipper snapper...that is what my grandpa use to say...don't know what a wipper snapper is but happy BD anyway).
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
Ha Ha, remember my 18th BD.

Just kick me in the groin why don't cha?
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 09:49:55 AM »
Happy Birthday EV!

I don't remember my 18th B-day. It was either so lame it didn't leave a lasting memory or it was of such epic proportion it didn't leave a lasting memory. Either way I have no memory of it.

I am however most certain there was cheesecake, there is always cheesecake!
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 10:24:38 AM »
Happy Birthday, EV!!!

On my 18th birthday I packed up my things and moved from Tennessee to LA with my now husband. It was kind of sad but I needed to get away from my parents and that was the best opportunity to do so.

young wipper snapper...that is what my grandpa use to say...don't know what a wipper snapper is but happy BD anyway).

Isn't a whipper snapper those little things you throw on the ground and the make a little explosion. I never understand whipper snapper either.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »
On my 18th my dad took me to a Hooters which I found out that I didn't like.  Overpriced food that taste like garbage.  Thought about going to a strip club but didn't.  Wound up hanging out with some friends and played guitar til about 3 in the morning.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 03:59:37 PM »
Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Quesi, sounds tragically hilarious. He probably thought you were worth the expense!

Kimberly, I didn't have cheesecake weirdly, but that is probably because I went to visit my girlfriend at her University halls (being a student, cheesecake is a bit of an expense!) and she made me a massive chocolate brownie and stuck candles in it. It was totally brilliant.

We then had some drinks with between her and 5 of her friends from her English course. Oh, and a randomer who came along and poured and downed half a glass of straight vodka, and then left without saying a word. The scrounging bastard.

Nick, time has passed weirdly fast. I am probably the most pleased that I can now vote- the Tories had better watch out! Fortunately the lack of child fares are irrelevant for me on public transport so far, as I have all sorts of student discounts nowadays! Plus I look about 21 anyway.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 04:14:08 PM »
Happy Birthday

Unfortunately there is still a gag order surrounding events which trasnpired as a result of my 18th  :-X

just kidding...all my birthdays have been fairly low key
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:35:04 PM »
Happy Birthday..

I was trying hard to think of my 18th birthday. I remembered my 17th well and my 19th, but I couldn't think of my 18th to save my life. But I just remembered why. My Girlfriend at the time, quite a looker, met me at her house door naked, and it was fantastic! Her family wasn't home. That's why I couldn't remember anything else about it. Anything else didn't mater..
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »
she made me a massive chocolate brownie and stuck candles in it. It was totally brilliant.

Congrats! Sounds like you have yourself a keeper!

Offline kindred

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-5
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 03:54:42 AM »
Why do we this? Why do we humans feel the need to try and retroactively create history points where we condense events into oversimplifications of what actually happened?

I'm guessing that none of your accounts are remotely accurate of what actually happened. You forgot about the boring 30 minute wait to get on the bus, waking up with an unusually high amount of irritation for no reason and it colouring the events of the entire day and other subtle stuff that actually happened and was important but inconvenient to remember. But I digress...

My 18th birthday was boring as fuck. Nothing special happened. Although a hot chick did come on to me a few days before it. That was fun. I could see her using every trick in the book that I used and quickly understood that the chick was hitting on me so I shot her down just like a few chicks are won't to do and that felt great. I can see why women are so harsh to men trying to talk them up. It felt really nice shooting her advances down, like an orgasm you could have in public.

chick:"Can I have your number?"
me:flat "no" and a derisive laugh
"Keep calm and carry on"

"I trust you are not in too much distress"

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 09:13:44 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with setting aside a few days a year to skew your perspective of reality to a more happy and exciting spectrum. Often times we get caught up in all the monotony of day to day mundane experiences. It's good for moral to use your Birthday as a day to celebrate living, being happy and joyous.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 03:31:01 AM »
I'm guessing that none of your accounts are remotely accurate of what actually happened. You forgot about the boring 30 minute wait to get on the bus, waking up with an unusually high amount of irritation for no reason and it colouring the events of the entire day and other subtle stuff that actually happened and was important but inconvenient to remember. But I digress...

Actually, I had a totally brilliant day.

6:00am- got up, had breakfast, felt excited. Got a hug from my parents and got dropped to the station.

7:19am- Got the train to London, did an hours' worth of composing. I'm currently writing a symphony and was working on the second movement, an adagio. The Gond features heavily.

8:10am- arrived at London Victoria with a large smile on my face., because I was finally 18 and was thinking about the rest of the day, because on Saturdays I get to spend 12 hours doing Music at one of the best conservatoires in the world. I got the No.52 Bus to the Royal Albert Hall.

8:22am- arrived at the Royal College of Music, and got a hug from all of my friends who saw me, spoke with them for 15 minutes then went and got a coffee before my first rehearsal.

9:00am- We were rehearsing Dvorak's String Sextet. I'm in the ensemble incidentally with the BBC Young Musician of the year, she plays 1st cello and is really lovely. It's a really good ensemble! And I love the piece. Really enjoyed that.

10:00am- Chamber Choir, doing some Holst folk songs. Lots of choir banter, I laughed pretty much all the way through and singing was impossible. Mainly because the basses were constantly flat, which is a choral stereotype.

11:00am- had a Viola lesson with a surrogate teacher, as mine was away. He got so excited that he put his bow through his strings on an up bow.

12:30pm- Symphony Orchestra, playing Sleeping Beauty Overture and the Walton Cello Concerto. Had lots of fun.

2:30pm-composition lesson- Went through my choral work in preparation for an undisclosed future event.

3:00pm- Chamber Orchestra- this was quite fun. The director is a really sarcastic scottish guy, who is utterly hilarious. I'm arranging a cheesy christmas medley for them for a concert at the Carpenters Hall in December.

4:00pm- Composition class- played through a fellow composers string quartet, I really liked it. It was odd harmony.

at 5:00pm I left College with a pianist friend of mine, we were discussing applications for conservatoires, and walked down the road to South Kensington to get the tube. The circle line was closed for maintenance, promoting many jokes about the underground service, we waited about 4 minutes for the tube to arrive. It was very packed, but we were talking for a while throughout changing lines, and all in all it was most enjoyable.

I got off at Warren Street after changing to the Victoria line at Victoria, at about 5:44pm, and ran into the arms of my girlfriend, who I hadn't seen for a week, and gave her a happy kiss. we walked to her halls where she cooked me dinner and had some Bulmers raspberry cider. Most delicious. Some brownie for desert, instead of a cake as student budgets are tight. It is damn good brownie though, I'm still eating it now!

We then met 5 of her friends who take english in the common room, which was pretty empty earlier and eventually filled up with lots of drunk students. We had vodkas and lemonades with my girlfriend's friends until much later, after jokes such as:

"What do you call a sheep tied to a lamppost in Cardiff?
The Municipal Leisure Centre"

and an anecdote about a guy buying what he thought was blueberry chewing gum from a vending machine in Shanghai and realising it was actually a condom, we played some table football and then they left. When they left we went to bed.

I would say that this was a pretty good day. I can't recall feeling down at all. Is this enough detail for you all? Pretty sure there were actually no mundane moments. Even on the lift to the station I was having a nice discussion with my Dad about pubs, he's going to take me out for a drink to celebrate this week at some point. At no point at all was my day mundane. In fact it is the best day I could have possibly had, as everything I absolutely love was included.

My Family, my Music and my Girlfriend.

So sorry Kindred, I had a really good day! Although your anecdote about the girl coming onto you is quite funny, I agree. There is still some gender bias around with men always having to ask out the women and supposed to be obliged to reciprocate flirting or let down gently.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 04:55:17 AM »
Congratulations! That sounds like a very pleasant day. The good news is that you are now able to buy fireworks - just in time for Nov 5th.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline kindred

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-5
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 09:17:56 AM »
@EV

I can't honestly say I believe you. Although I have to admit that it is possible that you had a great 18th birthday that was just that great.

But then wouldn't other days fail in comparison? The human brain is wired to never be "fully" happy or satisfied. You get happy and feel good hormones rise than you build up a a higher resistance to them making it so that the next high doesn't feel as good. I know I sound like a kill joy here but I'm just trying to get a point across.

That point is that some of us prefer being slightly happy all the time or at the least being content than having a colorful life with a high variance in pain and pleasure. Some of us in the site are what people derisively call a "dead fish."
"Keep calm and carry on"

"I trust you are not in too much distress"

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 09:28:12 AM »
That point is that some of us prefer being slightly happy all the time or at the least being content than having a colorful life with a high variance in pain and pleasure. Some of us in the site are what people derisively call a "dead fish."

I find myself experiencing a colorful life with high variance in pain and pleasure. Most days are spent with contentment or even sometimes apathy. I don't personally place much value in holidays as I could never paint the day as eloquently as EV is so obviously capable of doing.

Any ways, I think you are projecting your own experiences on to EV. I don't see any reasons to doubt his honesty or his self evaluation. I find his anecdote of the day to be one of delight and joy. I'm glad he shared it with us.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »
@EV

I can't honestly say I believe you. Although I have to admit that it is possible that you had a great 18th birthday that was just that great.

But then wouldn't other days fail in comparison? The human brain is wired to never be "fully" happy or satisfied. You get happy and feel good hormones rise than you build up a a higher resistance to them making it so that the next high doesn't feel as good. I know I sound like a kill joy here but I'm just trying to get a point across.

I am fairly happy in life at the moment. I see no reason to be unhappy, on the contrary I just tend to enjoy everything a hell of a lot. Plus my ridiculous obsession with Music means I enjoy doing 3 hours of practise a day, so that's a fairly good release for any negative emotions- if I feel down at all, by expresing it through playing, then I ultimately end up happier!

I had my down a few days ago when I had to drop out of school for 4 weeks due to overcommitment and overpressure. Now I'm at home, with a load of time and not too much pressure, I'm much happier. I guess I see no point in being unhappy for no reason. If I want to be happy, I'll probably be pretty happy. I just have a good outlook on life I guess! Probably because I am fairly young and (hopefully!) have a lot of it ahead of me.

Congratulations! That sounds like a very pleasant day. The good news is that you are now able to buy fireworks - just in time for Nov 5th.

The day was most pleasant, coming away from the RCM after a full days music there is an incredible feeling. I've wanted to be there since I was 11, and to be there as a part time saturday student is just most of a dream realised in itself. I am hoping to get in full time for next year.

I'll buy SHITLOADS of sparklers. Just for you Graybeard.

I find myself experiencing a colorful life with high variance in pain and pleasure. Most days are spent with contentment or even sometimes apathy. I don't personally place much value in holidays as I could never paint the day as eloquently as EV is so obviously capable of doing.

Don't get me wrong, I usually strongly dislike birthdays. But ya know, cultures place a lot of significance on your 18th, and I'm fairly happy to go along with that. Mainly just because I had a really good day in general, so the fact that I had much spoiling of me going on just added to that really! Pleasure and Pain occur frequently in my life. Mostly pleasure from music, and then pain from too much music. Also over-stress with being committed too much to academic work at my school, leaving not enough time for my own study.

Any ways, I think you are projecting your own experiences on to EV. I don't see any reasons to doubt his honesty or his self evaluation. I find his anecdote of the day to be one of delight and joy. I'm glad he shared it with us.

Yeah, that's a good summary. I just really enjoyed that day! Ha, it was seriously good. I'm also glad you enjoyed it too, Kimberly. To bring joy to another can be even more satisfying than experiencing it yourself for me. It's why my favourite engagements (pardon the pun) is playing at a wedding. It's just such an awesome job, to be able to experience such happiness, do what you love, then get paid handsomely for it. So worth it! ;)

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »
A belated happy birthday, EV. At some point in the future, you're realize the damned things are a dime a dozen, but the ability to enjoy them while you're young is of value.

Fifty years from now when you are asked what you did on you're 18th, you can link them to your lovely long post. But I'll be damned if I can find that clay table I chiseled out my 18th cakeday experience on. I seem to remember something about Brakeman's girlfriend greeting me at the door naked, but...
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.